Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jul 30, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #1,186 of 3,645
Hi.
I don't know why but my iPod Classic Rocboxed 7th gen isn't recognized by Windows.
In fact it is recognized (device manager) but I can't open it on My Computer!
Any ideas?

EDIT:
Ok, I figured it out. AVG is always blocking everything...

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #1,187 of 3,645
Quote:
Well that experiment was short lived!  Just removed emcore and rockbox.  Nothing wrong with them just not for me sadly.   Main reason I'd bought the classic was to dump a load of audiobooks (which I have now done via itunes and what a pita that was to tag properly, main reason I wanted Rockbox for the Drag n Drop).  However for some reason rockbox would only play some .m4b files and not others (guess it has to do with how it was encoded originally).  I was at a half way house where I had some files tagged properly and not others, whilst I had some files that would play in rockbox fine (m4b and others) and others wouldn't.  Figuring it would take too long to identify and convert I decided to drop rockbox.

Cheers.

It could be that some of the files have Digital Restriction Management .
RockBox doesn't support that, it's contrary to the concept of free, open-source software .

Quote:
Hi.
I don't know why but my iPod Classic Rocboxed 7th gen isn't recognized by Windows.
In fact it is recognized (device manager) but I can't open it on My Computer!
Any ideas?

EDIT:
Ok, I figured it out. AVG is always blocking everything...

Thanks for reporting the solution :)

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #1,188 of 3,645
OK. So I'm having some issues here. I have RockBox on a 160GB 7G Classic.

I have the issue where sometimes during copying, the transfer speed slows way down (to a reported 2MB/sec). Sometimes ejecting and plugging the unit back in fixes it, sometimes it doesn't.

I also have a fairly serious issue with playback. About 2/3rds of my files (mp3 and flac) playback fine. But a few will play for 5 seconds then immediately skip to the next track and then hang. The IPOD then becomes almost unresponsive, some button presses are registered, others arn't, and I then have to do a manual reset.

Anybody ever experienced this? Any solutions out there?

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #1,189 of 3,645
Quote:
OK. So I'm having some issues here. I have RockBox on a 160GB 7G Classic.

I have the issue where sometimes during copying, the transfer speed slows way down (to a reported 2MB/sec). Sometimes ejecting and plugging the unit back in fixes it, sometimes it doesn't.

I also have a fairly serious issue with playback. About 2/3rds of my files (mp3 and flac) playback fine. But a few will play for 5 seconds then immediately skip to the next track and then hang. The IPOD then becomes almost unresponsive, some button presses are registered, others arn't, and I then have to do a manual reset.

Anybody ever experienced this? Any solutions out there?

Those are all symptons of a messed up harddisk. Try a low level format with the tool from hddguru.com, there might be bad sectors.
Others are encouraged to give their solution, but that's what I would do.

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #1,190 of 3,645
Quote:

Those are all symptons of a messed up harddisk. Try a low level format with the tool from hddguru.com, there might be bad sectors.
Others are encouraged to give their solution, but that's what I would do.

Thanks for the info. Ill try the format as a last resort. 

Let me add some more detail about my issues. I was having trouble with a particular set of files, so I deleted them completely, then re-copied them, and I still get the same error with those files. To me, this would suggest something to do with the specific files and not a hdd failure. Thoughts?

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #1,191 of 3,645
Quote:

[...] Thoughts?

This is a nice test. Delete all the 'wrong' files, and also delete other music in total size at least equal to the 'wrong' files (or just double size to be sure). Then re-copy them and see if they will play this time. Most simple explanation if they still don't play well is that the files are corrupt, and if they do play well the problem is the hdd.

Jul 31, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #1,192 of 3,645
I had to take rockbox off of my ipod. I got a car that has an ipod dock. Unfortunately the dock interfaces with the ipod software, and this doesnt allow it to communicate with the rockbox firmware. :frowning2:

I'm considering simply using the car's AUX port with the ipod until rockbox fixes itself up. I'm not a fan of the ipod firmware at all.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #1,194 of 3,645
Can anyone comment on the battery life for a 160GB 6th Gen iPod classic using this firmware versus the stock apple firmware? That is the only thing holding me back right now...

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #1,195 of 3,645
Quote:
Can anyone comment on the battery life for a 160GB 6th Gen iPod classic using this firmware versus the stock apple firmware? That is the only thing holding me back right now...

I'm getting at least the same run-time as with the Sue Everybody (R) (C) (TM) firmware .
( FLAC and wav-pack, no lossy formats )
In RockBox you can control the time back-light stays on and how many seconds after it goes out before the screen goes 'black' .
The shorter the light is on, the longer runtime you get ..

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #1,196 of 3,645
Hello,
I am new in Rockbox and this forum,
I find out that my iPod can't detect in mac os when using build 856a6cfM-120722, which is ok when i delete the .rockbox folder,
I would like to ask is it the rockbox program affect the USB connection?

Thanks!

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #1,197 of 3,645
Quote:
I had to take rockbox off of my ipod. I got a car that has an ipod dock. Unfortunately the dock interfaces with the ipod software, and this doesnt allow it to communicate with the rockbox firmware.
frown.gif

I'm considering simply using the car's AUX port with the ipod until rockbox fixes itself up. I'm not a fan of the ipod firmware at all.

How common is this issue?  Can anyone else give their experiences?  Can you use external controls with a docked RockBox iPod or do you have to use the scroll wheel etc.?  Maybe it depends on the dock?

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #1,198 of 3,645
Hi! Going to buy an iPod Classic 3G ( ~ 7G ) to RockBox it. ( I love RockBox! )
I want to know what issues does it have at current state and why it isn't releasing now as a not-beta version?
Thanks.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #1,199 of 3,645
Quote:

Thanks for the info. Ill try the format as a last resort. 

Let me add some more detail about my issues. I was having trouble with a particular set of files, so I deleted them completely, then re-copied them, and I still get the same error with those files. To me, this would suggest something to do with the specific files and not a hdd failure. Thoughts?

Quote:

This is a nice test. Delete all the 'wrong' files, and also delete other music in total size at least equal to the 'wrong' files (or just double size to be sure). Then re-copy them and see if they will play this time. Most simple explanation if they still don't play well is that the files are corrupt, and if they do play well the problem is the hdd.

So Im still having trouble. I restored the unit with iTunes, then installed a clean version of rockbox. After proceeding to copy only about 3GB of music (1 folder at a time, just in case) the transfer stopped, and even after 20 minutes it was still hung. I couldn't eject it or cancel the transfer, and it eventually crashed windows.

Is there a reliable method of verifying the consistency of the harddisk? If it is bad, Ill just return it to amazon. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #1,200 of 3,645
Hello :)

Whilst I'm new here, I'm not new to good sounding audio... and Rockbox on the Classic is brilliant, so many really GREAT features.

The one problem I have is the high midrange is harsh, whether EQ is on or off. And irrespective of headphones. An EQ cut somewhere between approx 9-23 kHz helps a *little*, but even with a narrow Q,  you still lose the music.
Comparing this with other players, eg. Samsung (and I had a HiFi-man too),  the midrange is just warmer.  Is it the Classic's DAC itself?
It can give a SERIOUS headache.

Features I've tried (and spent many hours with) to try to alleviate:
- stereo width (because it cuts the mid slightly)
- crossfeed (high mid cut seems also to occur, but you end up with a "muddier" sound)

And ultimately, I listen with the EQ off, and maybe tweak the treble/bass a little.  The simple bass/treble controls seem less harsh than the 10-band EQ.

I should mention that I listen exclusively to FLAC 16/44.  The problem can sound worse with eg. 192k mp3.  I'm using the latest Rockbox 120722 from this thread.

Any thoughts folks?  Don't want to revert back,  as tbh the OF is hardly better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back