Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Feb 27, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #2,941 of 3,645
  Has a lot of progress been made on improving battery life in the last month or so? My current build is a daily build from mid-January.

I see, I thought you were referring to the build from emcore r859 itself, which is from January 2011 I believe. But no, there's no improvement in battery life for the last few months.

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #2,942 of 3,645
I am a aspiring audiophile and own a 7th gen 160gb iPod classic. I want to install Rockbox and get a portable AMP/DAC (like a C5D) and get the highest possible quality to start my new hobby off. I do have a few questions...

1. I understand that a rockboxed iPod will add a 24/96 file, but will it play it back at 24bit or down sample it to 16bit?
2. I was surprised to read that you can not bypass the iPods internal DAC with a external one, but can you after you install Rockbox? I would like to know if it would be a waste to get the C5D instead of the C5.

Thanks and sorry for any newbie questions!

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #2,943 of 3,645
  I am a aspiring audiophile and own a 7th gen 160gb iPod classic. I want to install Rockbox and get a portable AMP/DAC (like a C5D) and get the highest possible quality to start my new hobby off. I do have a few questions...

1. I understand that a rockboxed iPod will add a 24/96 file, but will it play it back at 24bit or down sample it to 16bit?
2. I was surprised to read that you can not bypass the iPods internal DAC with a external one, but can you after you install Rockbox? I would like to know if it would be a waste to get the C5D instead of the C5.

Thanks and sorry for any newbie questions!

Rockbox ipods can't send out digital signal unfortunately (yeah I'm bummed too). Just get a good external amp and use a 30-pin to 3.5mm adapter. Yes you can in fact hear the difference compared to headphone out. 

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #2,945 of 3,645
  Thanks Blackened, I guess I can save money on the DAC.

I love my C5 with my Rockbox'd iPod.  The C5D is a good option IF you can use the DAC connected to a PC or laptop (or compatible Android or iPhone; YMMV with that).

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #2,948 of 3,645
Hey guys,

So i currently have access to my families windows 8 computer. It seems that alot of you guys had trouble rockboxing your class off of a windows 8 computer, is this still the case? ALso: My ipod classic is formatted to work with my macbook. Do I need to reformat to work with windows to rockbox it? because if so i'm just not going to rockbox it. seeing that all my music is on my macbook....

I was about to rockbox it but then I started picking through all these posts and I realized that rockboxing is alot more volatile/not nearly as easy as jailbreaking. Seems like alot of stuff can go wrong, and does! Not only that but I personally think the aesthetic of the rockbox is pretty ugly...I just want it for the EQ options. But. If anyone can answer my questions that would be awesome! Thanks guys. 

Nate

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #2,950 of 3,645
what's FAT and HFS? 

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #2,952 of 3,645
ahh I see. So if I rock box my classic then will I be able to still put music on it using my mac? or no....

and so I COULD potentially use a windows 8 computer to rock box it but the chances of that are slim? Because as of right now I don't know how I would gain access to a computer that was 7 or below. 

thanks for answering my questions guys. 

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #2,953 of 3,645
should I downgrade my families computer, rock box my iPod, and then put 8 back on it?

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #2,955 of 3,645
?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back