Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Mar 15, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #2,957 of 3,645
  should I downgrade my families computer, rock box my iPod, and then put 8 back on it?

Isn't that really up to you and your family (if they care).  I mean, if it's really not possible to use Windows 8, and you really want Rockbox, then go for it, but if possible, go for it this way:

• Pull that PC's system drive and set it aside
  • Use a spare hard drive to install Windows 7 on that PC; it need not be a big, expensive drive, just something to get Win7 on
  • Don't worry about lots of Windows updates, etc., just make sure you get the drivers required for the motherboard (esp. USB); hopefully the Win7 install will handle that, but you can always download them from the mobo manufacturer's site, stick 'em on a USB stick, and install them after Win7 installs; you don't even need to bother setting up your network connection, if you've got everything already downloaded
  • Don't worry about validating your Win7 install; you've got 30 days (2 weeks? whatever) to play with it until it disables most features; I won't point out where, but there are plenty of places from which you can snag an official M$ ISO of Win7; hell, M$ used to give it away, knowing people would have to pay to validate in the end; not sure they still offer Win7, though; just google 'til you find a source
  • After getting Win7 running, Rockbox your iPod
  • Remove the Win7 system drive, reinsert the Win8 system drive, and you're back to where you started.

That's how I'd do it, rather than screw up my Win8 install... not that I'd use Win8 anytime soon.  HTH.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #2,958 of 3,645
If I rock box my iPod I can't use iTunes? and I haven't tried it with windows 8 yet but I seems to be the case that I can't....

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #2,959 of 3,645

Isn't that really up to you and your family (if they care).  I mean, if it's really not possible to use Windows 8, and you really want Rockbox, then go for it, but if possible, go for it this way:

• Pull that PC's system drive and set it aside
  • Use a spare hard drive to install Windows 7 on that PC; it need not be a big, expensive drive, just something to get Win7 on
  • Don't worry about lots of Windows updates, etc., just make sure you get the drivers required for the motherboard (esp. USB); hopefully the Win7 install will handle that, but you can always download them from the mobo manufacturer's site, stick 'em on a USB stick, and install them after Win7 installs; you don't even need to bother setting up your network connection, if you've got everything already downloaded
  • Don't worry about validating your Win7 install; you've got 30 days (2 weeks? whatever) to play with it until it disables most features; I won't point out where, but there are plenty of places from which you can snag an official M$ ISO of Win7; hell, M$ used to give it away, knowing people would have to pay to validate in the end; not sure they still offer Win7, though; just google 'til you find a source
  • After getting Win7 running, Rockbox your iPod
  • Remove the Win7 system drive, reinsert the Win8 system drive, and you're back to where you started.

That's how I'd do it, rather than screw up my Win8 install... not that I'd use Win8 anytime soon.  HTH.

I wish I knew how to do all of this. I don't have an extra external hard drive. I do but I left it at my house (i'm at families house for spring break)

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #2,960 of 3,645
  I wish I knew how to do all of this. I don't have an extra external hard drive. I do but I left it at my house (i'm at families house for spring break)

Can you be patient and borrow someone's Win7 PC when you're back at school?  Rockbox ain't going anywhere.

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #2,961 of 3,645

Can you be patient and borrow someone's Win7 PC when you're back at school?  Rockbox ain't going anywhere.

i may be able to. i prob can. after rock boxing my iPod, can i put music on it with my mac?

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #2,962 of 3,645
I'm assuming that's for me. I have tried numerous times unsuccessfully. I would really like to Rock Box it as I hate iTunes.

Send it to me and I'll do it for you. What model do you have?

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #2,963 of 3,645
  i may be able to. i prob can. after rock boxing my iPod, can i put music on it with my mac?

Don't have a Mac.  I know it's been discussed in this thread.  Hope you can find a good answer.

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #2,964 of 3,645
  should I downgrade my families computer, rock box my iPod, and then put 8 back on it?

Windows 8 is worse than Vista.

Mar 15, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #2,965 of 3,645

Don't have a Mac.  I know it's been discussed in this thread.  Hope you can find a good answer.

I couldnt find it. 

if I can't put music on my iPod with my mac after rock boxing it then there's zero point for me to rock box it 

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #2,966 of 3,645
Originally Posted by Melvins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...]
I was about to rockbox it but then I started picking through all these posts and I realized that rockboxing is alot more volatile/not nearly as easy as jailbreaking. Seems like alot of stuff can go wrong, and does! Not only that but I personally think the aesthetic of the rockbox is pretty ugly...I just want it for the EQ options. [...]

Rockbox is a firmware replacement designed to be effective and efficient. Unlike the original Apple firmware, users have the freedom to customise and adjust all sorts of things, varying from advanced audio settings to themes and fonts, which you might be interested in.
Rockboxing a Classic is very easy when the instructions are followed closely. I have experienced that it runs more stable on my Classic than the original firmware.
Connecting to a Mac has always been an issue, this might be useful to read: http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,43493.msg220761.html#msg220761

If, with all these options, this open source firmware still doesn't meet your expectations you are of course free to join the developers (who have been spending their free time writing code and testing for the last ten years) to improve Rockbox.

Quote:
  I couldnt find it. 

if I can't put music on my iPod with my mac after rock boxing it then there's zero point for me to rock box it 

Then don't. Or just give it a try, recovering the Classic back to the original firmware using iTunes is easy and only takes a few minutes.

Mar 16, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #2,968 of 3,645

Then don't. Or just give it a try, recovering the Classic back to the original firmware using iTunes is easy and only takes a few minutes.

how would I move music onto my iPod is what I'm saying...

have you been able to rock box a classic with windows 8?

Mar 16, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #2,969 of 3,645
  how would I move music onto my iPod is what I'm saying...

have you been able to rock box a classic with windows 8?

Did you not see this post?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/532426/ipod-classic-rockbox-its-happening/2580#post_9635317

Users who are viewing this thread

Back