Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jul 24, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #196 of 3,645
Quote:
Most of the rockbox's quality and value comes from being able to alter the EQ with more precision. Is there a tutorial of some kind, where non-EQrs can learn to EQ effectively and thus increase the SQ? I've never bothered learning before because I've always used my iPod classic as my DAP.

I'm going to jump right on this when the stable version comes out.

No doubt, EQ is huge for a lot of people. However I pretty much never used it with Rockbox since I don't use EQ on music. So for some of us, most of the value of Rockbox is elsewhere. For me, the drag and drop, navigatable folder system for music is a biggie. And the Active Playlist is absolutely the best feature of Rockbox IMHO.

Just more things for you to look forward to.

Jul 24, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #197 of 3,645
I was wrong. You just have to hold on any button except the hold button when you plug it to a LOD and just activate this output in the menu.

It works like a charm.

Please apologize my mistake.

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #198 of 3,645
No problem! Thanks for that BTW...tested it this morning...my baby daughter and I rocked out to Alborosie while getting ready for the day as a result...:)

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #203 of 3,645
Jul 27, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #204 of 3,645

Quote:
not for the classic 6g yet I see.

well, its a matter of time since 5.5g is stable already. 

question, is any of you able to trow music at your rockboxed ipod classic with foobar? (using the i_dop extension)

I have my 6G done using the Emcore method...works very nicely actually....

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #205 of 3,645

Quote:
I have my 6G done using the Emcore method...works very nicely actually....

x2 practically no issues here and same ipod.

Jul 28, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #206 of 3,645
Okay I broke down and tried it. Guys, I am afraid that Rockbox on the Classic does not work with the Algorhythm Solo - at least I could not get it to work. The problem is that Rockbox goes into USB communication mode as soon as you plug in or turn on the Solo. The Rockbox USB communication graphic flashes on and off and there is no way to play music. I tried pressing different iPod keys while starting the Solo but none made a difference.

It was worth a try. Perhaps Rockbox can someday be programed to resolve this issue. At least it didn't brick my Classic. The OF is restored and I am resynching my music now.

Jul 28, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #207 of 3,645
When I charge my rockbox'd ipod with my computer, if I hole menu while plugging it in, I can continue listening through the headphone out.

Have you tried holding menu while starting up the Solo? (Must be pressed before power up, and held until after power up is completed)

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #209 of 3,645
Nope...there are uninstall methods as well on the site. I had a mis-start as well and was terrified I had just bricked mine. No biggie, just re-started it and there was the old iPod software. Went in again and was successful the second time.

For the LOD in, have you tried holding down any key but the hold button while plugging the LOD in? As I mentioned, my LOD is working fine with my FiiO E7, but that said, I don't need to hold down keys or anything when plugging it in...

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #210 of 3,645
Quote:
can somebody please help me with rockboxing a IPC 80gb? using win XP here.

i followed the instructions here but i can't get it to work. http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Installation/iPodClassic/DFUiTunes
these 2 processes that i was supposed to kill, AppleMobileDeviceService.exe and AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe and iTunes keep on popping back up,

i just don't know how to get my ipod to show up in winXP as a new USB device called "Apple Recovery (DFU) USB Driver to run the bootstrap

i've managed to get it into diagnostic mode but windows won't recognize the device, and when windows do recognize it it is just a regular ipod device.

thanks

I also had this problem. The solution was to rename iTunes.exe so that it couldn't be invoked. Then the installation worked.

Quote:
When I charge my rockbox'd ipod with my computer, if I hole menu while plugging it in, I can continue listening through the headphone out.

Have you tried holding menu while starting up the Solo? (Must be pressed before power up, and held until after power up is completed)

I tried this - holding the Menu button while turning on or plugging in the Solo - not once but many times. It didn't work. (The Solo kept demanding communication.) When I think of it now, it makes sense. The purpose of holding the Menu button is to prevent USB connectivity and just allow charging. However, USB communication is required for the Solo to work. That is the contradiction. The Authentication Chip enables a protocol where USB communication is enabled but access to iPod menus is according to the standard music mode. Rockbox does not curently have that capability. Whether they can develop it is uncertain. Hopefully the answer is yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger /img/forum/go_quote.gif

no risk to 'brick' the ipod?

Hah! I actually thought that I had done that but no. The uninstall instructions on the Freemyipod site were somewhat buried but they worked. It invokes an innate protocol in the Classic to communicate with iTunes so that one can re-esatbllsih communication and Restore the iPod. I am satisfied now that the installation should always be reversible. (PM me if you get into trouble.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back