Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Aug 7, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #234 of 3,645

Quote:
Do you face any bugs as its still not an unstable released version? What about battery life?
How much volume gain can one expect from the volume uncap?

I know you didn't direct this at me but i have been running Rockbox since February.

Yes there is a few minor glitches but nothing to serious or annoying. For example sometimes when i reload rock box it doesn't load. so i just hold down select and menu until it restarts then it works. i also get a slight glitch that sometimes when i switch settings in the eq it will freeze and skip the last 2 seconds of a song over and over again. again this can be fixed by restarting your ipod. those are the only issues i have noticed and they are not major or that annoying.

Battery wise i get the same amount of battery life i did when i had the ipod firmware. plus it tells me in percent how much i have left. i can get about 10 hours out of it. keep in mind my ipod is almost 4 years old.

Regarding volume cap issue. even an uncapped ipod when rock boxed will get even louder then before. you can boast the max regular volume of an ipod by 12db. i don't recommend doing this though as it tends to distort a lot.

last but not least if you have any ipod dock accessories you have to hole down menu and something else before you plug it in or it will charge it and render it unusable.

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #236 of 3,645
Ok i installed rockbox on my classic 160gb and it certainly removed the utter rubbish volume cap. Its really loud now. It seems the battery life took a hit. The stereo channels are surely swapped wrong. This OS needs quite a bit of reboot on the course of action. Faced problem while updating the database of 188 albums. Now i can hear quite a bit of static noise/ hiss with my IE8 which was otherwise not that noticeable on the stock firmware.
Now i'm confused whether to revert back to the stock OS coz i really like the stock OS (If only volume uncapped that is) and itunes to organize my library. Sound seems to be coming fine through the lod as is although swapped stereo channel.

Now its between carrying my fiio E1 or do with that rockboxed hpo..

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #237 of 3,645
If only there's a way to uncap the volume on the stock firmware. Surprising as mine is not an European ipod. Its from India that I got. 
frown.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #239 of 3,645
No it seems the volume cap is applied according to the serial number of your ipod as recognized by itunes. Now if only a hack is available which could run on the already installed firmware just to uncap the volume as done by gopod. I tried downloading US firmware v1.1.1 and installing it on my ipod by clicking the restore button on itunes while simultaneously holding down the shift key. But it says the firmware is incompatible with my ipod.

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #240 of 3,645
Hi, I've installed the Usa firmware on my eu ipod...It's possible and the volume is uncapped. The volume of this classic is not that high but now is sensible better. You have to downgrade the firmare and install the us software and, of course, you have to put all in manual otherwise itunes will try to put always the last firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back