Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jul 20, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #181 of 3,645
Hi,
could anybody tell me if a Rockboxed iPod Classic 80gb is compatible whith the Onkyo ND-S1 dock?
Thank you.

EDIT: I have installed the Rockbox in my iPod and the Onkyo doesn´t work...but I have sound output throught the lod. Go to General Setting-->System-->Line Out-->ON

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-ipodvideo/rockbox-buildch8.html#x11-1510008.5.8
(I know, the guide is for iPod Video, but works).

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #182 of 3,645

Quote:
The only bad point is no sound output through the lod.

Plus the battery or file exchange mode could be better defined.

Whoa...no sound through the LOD? That's a deal breaker for me...which Classic are you using? 1st, 2nd or third generation?

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #183 of 3,645
Quote:
The only bad point is no sound output through the lod.

Plus the battery or file exchange mode could be better defined.

Quote:
Whoa...no sound through the LOD? That's a deal breaker for me...which Classic are you using? 1st, 2nd or third generation?

fleasbaby, I very much share your concern - but not your nomenclature for iPods. Is this the iPod Classic 6G (80/160 gb), 6G 1st revision (120 gb) or 6G 2nd revision (160 gb)?

If this is really true, I am not sure that it makes a difference though. Serious deal breaker!

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #186 of 3,645

Quote:
So I tried the unstable rockbox for my iPod classic and it was awesome!  However, it was acting very buggy so I decided to take it off and wait for a more stable version.

What was buggy about it by the way?

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #188 of 3,645

Quote:
I had to restart my iPod after every sync, the database stopped updating, and it froze at the end.  It probably happened because i just put my whole 40gb library on it in one sync, but I do it with my normal iPod and it works fine. 

Ooooh. That sucks...did you happen to check if the LOD worked? I use mine for a headphone amp.

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #190 of 3,645

Quote:
Ooooh. That sucks...did you happen to check if the LOD worked? I use mine for a headphone amp.

lod works fine with mine. i use my fiio l3 connected to my fiio e5. works fine.

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #191 of 3,645
I just picked up a 160 GB ipod and want to rockbox it. Yes? No? I have a ton of FLAC and would hate to have to convert.

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #192 of 3,645
Well last night I took the plunge anyway, despite doubts (chalk it up to bottled Stella Artois, my indomitable spirit of adventure and a large collection of flac files I am tired of not having on a DAP). So far so good....I didn't drop a massive amount of music on it the first time, just a batch of about 10 albums I knew I would enjoy at the office today.

All is working perfectly, no freezing, no skipping, no issues whatsoever so far. For the record, I am listening to flac files and using a pair of Grado SR60s, plugged into a FiiO E7. The LOD into the FiiO works fine for me. I can only assume prior reports of this not working are from folks trying to use docks, not simple LODs into a headphone amp that doesn't use any Apple proprietary software. my iPod is an old 160GB from 2007.

The best part is, the old iPod firmware used to pause for a few seconds randomly after an hour or so of play. This used to drive me wild, because I knew it had to be a firmware issue. It hasn't happened so far. 

The battery life isn't heart-breakingly awful either...I listen to 4 to 5 albums a day max, so far I am on # 3 and might have used maybe a quarter of my full charge from last night.

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #193 of 3,645
Most of the rockbox's quality and value comes from being able to alter the EQ with more precision. Is there a tutorial of some kind, where non-EQrs can learn to EQ effectively and thus increase the SQ? I've never bothered learning before because I've always used my iPod classic as my DAP.

I'm going to jump right on this when the stable version comes out.

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #194 of 3,645
When is a stable version coming out?

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #195 of 3,645

Quote:
Most of the rockbox's quality and value comes from being able to alter the EQ with more precision. Is there a tutorial of some kind, where non-EQrs can learn to EQ effectively and thus increase the SQ? I've never bothered learning before because I've always used my iPod classic as my DAP.

I'm going to jump right on this when the stable version comes out.

I second this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back