Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jul 3, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #151 of 3,645
is that realy a dealbreaker? its just an install app, just do it at a friends place, from then on its drag and drop. also how old is your mac? cant you just run windows on your mac if you want? sacrilege i know

Jul 3, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #152 of 3,645

Quote:
is that realy a dealbreaker? its just an install app, just do it at a friends place, from then on its drag and drop. also how old is your mac? cant you just run windows on your mac if you want? sacrilege i know

No its not a deal breaker by any means.. It will just mean I have to hook my classic up to my wife's Windoze laptop to RB it.. just means I will have to shower twice that day thats all.

RB'ing my classic, Solo on the way... Xmas in July

Jul 3, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #153 of 3,645
I rockboxed my 7g; For some reason couldnt do it with the work computer kept getting an error but worked fine at home;

It works well most of the time however if changing sound settings while listening to music it would often freeze the player and skip the music continually;

However the SQ was no match for the J3 with Mach Bass - I compared them side to side and ended up selling the ipod

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #154 of 3,645
Ok I cant get it to work even though the inatructions are very simple :mad:

Jul 5, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #155 of 3,645
I'm still very interested in this but I want it to be "ready". Not just the installer (my first 2007 Rockbox installation actually predated the auto-install option), but also bug free.

So... how is the official release going...?

Edit: It looks like the dual boot OF is the key missing feature. Since that is how I like to charge in Rockbox, it's a biggie to me.

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #156 of 3,645

Quote:
I rockboxed my 7g; For some reason couldnt do it with the work computer kept getting an error but worked fine at home;

It works well most of the time however if changing sound settings while listening to music it would often freeze the player and skip the music continually;

However the SQ was no match for the J3 with Mach Bass - I compared them side to side and ended up selling the ipod

You obviously didn't master the rockbox EQ settings.
wink_face.gif

If you had, you would have been able to get it to sound quite good, if not exactly like the J3.

Jul 8, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #157 of 3,645
Hi all,

I have the older 160 GB Classic and have checked out all the Emcore links, etc...I am all set to try it out, but just wanted to see what, if any, problems to expect...I noticed there isn't much beyond earlier this year on the Emcore site.

Any war stories/tales of sublime joy to share?

Jul 8, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #158 of 3,645

Quote:
Hi all,

I have the older 160 GB Classic and have checked out all the Emcore links, etc...I am all set to try it out, but just wanted to see what, if any, problems to expect...I noticed there isn't much beyond earlier this year on the Emcore site.

Any war stories/tales of sublime joy to share?

as far as i know the ipod classic 160gb 2007 version is incompatible.

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #160 of 3,645
Jul 8, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #161 of 3,645
i am using this now with my fat 160gb. now it sounds absolutely amazing, but there are a couple annoyances.

1. the button mapping, pressing menu in the song selection screen... goes back to the menu, when i mean to just navigate one level up.
2. it shuts down after a timeout.  i was reading somewhere cause it does't have a low cpu power setting in rockbox? This means that everytime i want to listen, i have to boot the whole rockbox (15-20 seconds?)
3. it crashes if i try to set EQ settings, have to hold menu+select to reboot

i am contemplating getting a clip+ just for rockbox..

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #162 of 3,645

Quote:
i am using this now with my fat 160gb. now it sounds absolutely amazing, but there are a couple annoyances.

1. the button mapping, pressing menu in the song selection screen... goes back to the menu, when i mean to just navigate one level up.

It's supposed to do that. to go one back click the left back button.

2. it shuts down after a timeout.  i was reading somewhere cause it does't have a low cpu power setting in rockbox? This means that everytime i want to listen, i have to boot the whole rockbox (15-20 seconds?)

you should be able to change these settings. mine only turns off if i don't use it.

3. it crashes if i try to set EQ settings, have to hold menu+select to reboot

i had this issue to but the best way around it is to go slowly. don't scroll up or down to fast in the equalizer settings. it still freezes on me periodically but it's no big deal to restart.

i am contemplating getting a clip+ just for rockbox..

answers not in bold or colored.

Jul 9, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #163 of 3,645

Quote:
as far as i know the ipod classic 160gb 2007 version is incompatible.

That explains why my attempt didnt work.. mine is a few years old and would be the 2007 version

Quote:
i believe that 160gb is for the newest generation. if i were you i wouldn't risk it. best not to mess with it. the 160gb and 80gb from 2007 were built differently.

I tried several times but it didnt wreck it.. I just restored it in iTunes and put all my songs back on.. didnt hurt it. Now I want a later model so i can RB it 

Jul 9, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #164 of 3,645
It looks like Stratix was successful...what happened when you tried?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back