Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Apr 10, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #121 of 3,645
I'm reading this topic with interests.

I want to play my FLAC files with my Alpine 114BT car radio. It appears not to support bluetooth A2DP, but it has an iPod connector. Although I can play the FLAC files using my Android via the external 3.5mm, I'm thinking of buying an (used) iPod Classic (160Gb) to play my FLAC.

I've a couple questions:
  1. Can I use the connector and is it capable to output the audio digital or analog via the Wolfson DAC?
  2. Does the connector remote controls work? On http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IpodAccessories only testresults with older iPod are printed
  3. Is the EmCORE installation reversible (i.e. can I go back to the original Apple firmware)? Yes, it is possible (http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,27267.msg178094.html#msg178094)

Thanks for your help

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #122 of 3,645

Quote:
I'm reading this topic with interests.

I want to play my FLAC files with my Alpine 114BT car radio. It appears not to support bluetooth A2DP, but it has an iPod connector. Although I can play the FLAC files using my Android via the external 3.5mm, I'm thinking of buying an (used) iPod Classic (160Gb) to play my FLAC.

I've a couple questions:
  1. Can I use the connector and is it capable to output the audio digital or analog via the Wolfson DAC?
  2. Does the connector remote controls work? On http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IpodAccessories only testresults with older iPod are printed
  3. Is the EmCORE installation reversible (i.e. can I go back to the original Apple firmware)? Yes, it is possible (http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,27267.msg178094.html#msg178094)

Thanks for your help

This Rockbox port is early enough in development that in your case, I'd wait on Rockbox, and just convert FLAC to ALAC to use on the iPod in your car. In time, when the port becomes more polished, then it would be a better option. Just my opinion, of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #123 of 3,645
Thanks for your advise. I will follow this.

I read rockbox is superior in audio quality and has a better equaliser. But I can wait for an improved Classic version.

I tried converting FLAC to ALAC using dbpower, but lots of tags are not converted. Do you know a good conversion program?

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #124 of 3,645

Quote:
Thanks for your advise. I will follow this.

I read rockbox is superior in audio quality and has a better equaliser. But I can wait for an improved Classic version.

I tried converting FLAC to ALAC using dbpower, but lots of tags are not converted. Do you know a good conversion program?

I have never used ALAC myself....I just use high bitrate MP3 on my portable players,and keep my FLAC on the computer.  dbpoweramp  is often recommended, but maybe foobar2000 would work better as far as converting the tags.

Apr 10, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #125 of 3,645
Quote:

I read rockbox is superior in audio quality and has a better equaliser.

Thus should be corrected to: "rockbox is superior in audio quality when using the equaliser".

The inate sound quality of the iPod Classic is hardware based. Rockbox does not change it and therefore does not improve it. However, the EQ software in the iPod original firmware is flawed and causes distortion. The Rockbox EQ software, by contrast, is excellent. So using EQ in Rockbox does provide better sound quality than using EQ in the original firmware.

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #127 of 3,645
That's pretty good. Hmm... someone should try this with the Solo and that someone could be me.  :)

I am going to wait until the beta appears on the Rockbox site. I assume that this will happen in the not too far future.

Have you gotten a change to try rockbox with the solo?

Apr 21, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #128 of 3,645
Quote:
Quote:
That's pretty good. Hmm... someone should try this with the Solo and that someone could be me.  :)

I am going to wait until the beta appears on the Rockbox site. I assume that this will happen in the not too far future.

Have you gotten a change to try rockbox with the solo?

No, it's still an "unusable port". Once they solve Dual Boot OF and Install with Rbutil, it should be okay.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #129 of 3,645
No, it's still an "unusable port". Once they solve Dual Boot OF and Install with Rbutil, it should be okay.

I've got a friend who is using it and says it is working 95% as intended aside from only being single boot. You can try it out and always revert back to stock firmware if you find it too buggy. Pretty detailed instructions on how to install and uninstall are here.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #130 of 3,645
It does not yet have the functionality that I think is necessary. Dual Boot OF tops that list. I also don't want to brick my Classic if something goes wrong.

I haven't even decided that I will do it so I'm not taking any risks. I am in no rush.

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #131 of 3,645

Quote:
It does not yet have the functionality that I think is necessary. Dual Boot OF tops that list. I also don't want to brick my Classic if something goes wrong.

I haven't even decided that I will do it so I'm not taking any risks. I am in no rush.

its safe and works fine. though sometimes it will glitch up, has anyone else noticed how the channels are switched (left comes out of the right and right out of the left etc) is there a way to fix it.

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #132 of 3,645
Quote:
its safe and works fine. though sometimes it will glitch up, has anyone else noticed how the channels are switched (left comes out of the right and right out of the left etc) is there a way to fix it.

If neither the dual boot nor the Rockbox charging are working yet, how do you charge the Classic?

I still am not sure that I will Rockbox my Classic. I sure do miss the active playlist but I have become enamoured of the Classic's Genius feature. It is introducing me to music in my collection that otherwise never gets lsitened to.

I suppose I could load Rockbox (once it goes beta) and use the database feature so that my music can be accessed through either OS. I have never actually used the Rockbox database since I always created folder structures before.

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #133 of 3,645

Quote:
Quote:

If neither the dual boot nor the Rockbox charging are working yet, how do you charge the Classic?

I still am not sure that I will Rockbox my Classic. I sure do miss the active playlist but I have become enamoured of the Classic's Genius feature. It is introducing me to music in my collection that otherwise never gets lsitened to.

I suppose I could load Rockbox (once it goes beta) and use the database feature so that my music can be accessed through either OS. I have never actually used the Rockbox database since I always created folder structures before.

its chargable but it doesn't display the percentage left for charge. no biggy though i just charge it over night. it seems fairly stable to me.

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #135 of 3,645
For me, I'll steer clear until I can use the "Rockbox Installer" to load RB on the classic. This way everything is simplified w/the installing & uninstalling of RB on my baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back