iPod Classic 7G 240GB
Apr 9, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #61 of 130
I asked the folks who created emCore for getting Rockbox onto iPod Classics, below is a copy of the email string:

Me:

Just curious, saw the following on eBay, and wondered if the hard drive
upgrade would affect whether or not emCore could be installed?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MC297LL-A-iPod-classic-160GB-upgrade-to-240gb-Black-/230745844611?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item35b9862b83

Their response:
No warranty on anything, but I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work.

emCORE and Rockbox don't rely on any special data on the HDD (unlike the
apple firmware, which relies on a firmware partition being present). You
will of course have to install Rockbox again after that (i.e. unpack the
.rockbox directory, or copy it over from the old HDD).

Both also support LBA48, which is neccessary for 160GB anyway, so they
should work with drives up to 16 TB (MBR partitioning limit).

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #65 of 130
$30 for an used iPod 5.5g + $120 for upgrading to a 240GB HDD = $150 Rockboxed iPod (with wolfson and 240GB). Maybe another $5 for a new battery.

This is as good as you can get with the least cost.

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #66 of 130
Quote:
$30 for an used iPod 5.5g + $120 for upgrading to a 240GB HDD = $150 Rockboxed iPod (with wolfson and 240GB). Maybe another $5 for a new battery.

Except that if you don't DIYMod it or get it iModded, I don't see the point. Wolfson DAC or not, unmodded, it's craptastic, to my ears at least. Any Sony Walkman beats 5.5G iPods. So the cost of DIYModding (parts/tools) or iMod (RWA) need to be factored in.

The point of 6 & 7G lager capacity modding is compatibility with the CLAS & HP-P1 iDAC solutions. Earlier models are unfortunately not compatible

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #67 of 130

Quote:
Does Rockbox enable an iPod to play highres Alac as well?
And does the iPod still work with a dac like the Fostex HP-P1 (or CLAS) then, or with a car stereo that has an iPod connection?

You can play ALAC, but I suspect  you're up the creek with the CLAS. This was discussed a little here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/532426/ipod-classic-rockbox-its-happening/585#post_8264297

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #68 of 130

Quote:

Except that if you don't DIYMod it or get it iModded, I don't see the point. Wolfson DAC or not, unmodded, it's craptastic, to my ears at least. Any Sony Walkman beats 5.5G iPods. So the cost of DIYModding (parts/tools) or iMod (RWA) need to be factored in.

The point of 6 & 7G lager capacity modding is compatibility with the CLAS & HP-P1 iDAC solutions. Earlier models are unfortunately not compatible

That's why I said "This is as good as you can get with the least cost." If you spend more you may or may not get improved sound - depending on how much more you will spend, your taste for the sound sig and synergy. I read some people didn't notice sound improvement with the imod'ed ipod.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #69 of 130

Quote:

Quote:
You can play ALAC, but I suspect  you're up the creek with the CLAS. This was discussed a little here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/532426/ipod-classic-rockbox-its-happening/585#post_8264297

Ah, ok, I get it. HP-P1 + iPod 240 works, HP-P1 + Rockbox doesn't and neither does iTunes sync anymore. No Rockbox for me then, I really like the iPod + HP-P1 sound.

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #70 of 130
All true. And besides which a HDD is not going to take kindly to skiing and mountain biking. And further, why should we have to fool with ANYTHING (especially a CLAS or HP1, $$$ better spent elsewhere) when Apple and Android should just eliminate customer abuse and give us usb audio to begin with?!?!
angry_face.gif

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #71 of 130

Quote:

Any idea where I can find someone who sells the ipod 5.5 and is able to upgrade to a 240gb hdd?

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #72 of 130

Quote:
Any idea where I can find someone who sells the ipod 5.5 and is able to upgrade to a 240gb hdd?

I recently bought a 120GB HDD off ebay for $80 and replaced the old 30GB of my iPod 5g. Everything works like a charm with the rockbox installed. I was little concerned about the possible lag before the upgrade but there is absolutely no lag whatsoever. I can't be more happy about upgrading the HDD. The 120GB is decent for me and I have loaded 90% so far.

You can buy an used and working ipod 5.5g off craiglist for a very cheap price. I recently bought a working 5.5g off craiglist for $30 as a backup. Most people selling the 5g/5.5g just want to unload the old pods without knowing the inside beauty (wolfson). Alternatively you can also buy the 5.5g from ebay. If you want to take a chance, buy the broken ones hopefully with only failed HDD and you will replace the HDD anyway.

The 240GB HDD's are available from ebay and here is one. Please note the 5g/5.5g 30GB model needs new and thicker back plate if you decide to go with the 240GB HDD. The seller in that link actually includes this new back plate for the upgrade.

I personally have not tried the 240GB HDD upgrade.

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #73 of 130
You can't hear the inner beauty unless modded. I really don't get the attraction stock. Never heard a Hi-MD MiniDisc Walkman playing LPCM? Night and day difference. I won't talk about other Sony Walkmans, flash or HDD since I don't have much experience with them, just a couple of auditions.

Apr 14, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #74 of 130

Quote:
You can't hear the inner beauty unless modded. I really don't get the attraction stock. Never heard a Hi-MD MiniDisc Walkman playing LPCM? Night and day difference. I won't talk about other Sony Walkmans, flash or HDD since I don't have much experience with them, just a couple of auditions.

I even read some people who modded their ipods reported no or little sound difference. Maybe they modded their ipods incorrectly?

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #75 of 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostid /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

I even read some people who modded their iPods reported no or little sound difference. Maybe they modded their iPods incorrectly?

Either that or they were using the headphone output... Or they really just can't hear it. Which is fair enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back