iPod Classic 7G 240GB
Mar 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #31 of 130
Did you open up the 120GB as well?

Anyway, I'll put the new drive in and see if it works.
If it doesn't I sell the 120GB iPod, buy a 160GB one, put in the 240GB drive and sell the 160GB drive.
Will cost a bit more though.

As for the SQ I don't care since I use a Fostex HP-P1 Dac/amp, so the iPod is a storage/transport only for me.
To be honest, I haven't heard any iPod that sounded good yet and I had 3 of them already.
An iPod video I remember to be the last one before the Classic but I don't remember the first one.

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #32 of 130
Yes, and it shares the same logic board as the 80/160gb earlier classics. I don't know if the drive you have would work with yours since there are a couple of different 240gb drives with each being compatible with different ipods. And yes neither of them is what I would call great sounding, but decent for their purpose as long as you're willing to deal with their limitation on sound.

I thought about a clas/fostex setup, but that makes it transportable instead of portable for me. I would love to own the new ibasso dap, but not enough space for me. I refuse to continuously pick out songs from my library to put on a portable with limited hard drive space. Plugging in a data cable and clicking on sync is the only way for me. So I'm willing to put up with what I got for the time being. Solid state/flash storage is coming down a lot in price. So maybe my dream of a 240gb one box portable dap with high end sound is just around the corner. Maybe in a second generation dx100?

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #33 of 130
Not enough space on the DX100?! 128GB (64GB internal + 64GB FAT32 µSDXC) + carry extra 64GB FAT32 µSDXC's. I mean eventually there will be 128GB µSDXC's, 256GB's... You can't bare swapping an µSDHC/XC from time to time?

I won't mind, but it's true I'm used to MiniDiscs.

Back on topic, so the first of the 6G Classics are the ones with the CIF interface rather than ZIF? Then AppleheadMay you will need to find a CIF to ZIF adapter, in order to be be able to fit the new 240GB HDD in.

I now remember this specificness being discussed in the SSD mod threads in various forums. I should have remembered earlier and warned you. Oh well, still fixable.

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #34 of 130
Hi Wiz,

Thanks for pointing this out, I did some research.
According to the info I found the 120 and slim 160 both use ZIF.
The drive I bought is ZIF as well.

There is another thing to keep in mind.
Of the ZIF models some use PATA for transfer protocol, some CE-ATA.
It seems all the slim ones use PATA, the fat ones CE-ATA.
My iPod is a slim one and the drive I bought is PATA.

So normally, it should work.

EDIT: If someone could confirm my detective work with their findings that would be great!  :)

Mar 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #35 of 130
With the thicker back, which protective case would fit?
An iPod Classic 5G case?

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #37 of 130

Quote:
Hi Wiz,

Thanks for pointing this out, I did some research.
According to the info I found the 120 and slim 160 both use ZIF.
The drive I bought is ZIF as well.

There is another thing to keep in mind.
Of the ZIF models some use PATA for transfer protocol, some CE-ATA.
It seems all the slim ones use PATA, the fat ones CE-ATA.
My iPod is a slim one and the drive I bought is PATA.

So normally, it should work.

EDIT: If someone could confirm my detective work with their findings that would be great!  :)

If you are planning mounting a 240 Gb onto the iPod 120 then you're in trouble. The only iPods that accept the 240Gb drive are the 5.5G and the 2009 160Gb Classic.

If you fit the 240Gb drive onto the iPod 120 it will only recognize the drive as a 128Gb one.

An acquaintance of mine learned it the hard way.

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #38 of 130

Quote:
If you are planning mounting a 240 Gb onto the iPod 120 then you're in trouble. The only iPods that accept the 240Gb drive are the 5.5G and the 2009 160Gb Classic.

If you fit the 240Gb drive onto the iPod 120 it will only recognize the drive as a 128Gb one.

An acquaintance of mine learned it the hard way.

Hi Elfary.

How come? Is the PATA compatibility not enough?
Something with the double platter?
If you are absolutely sure I may as well not open the 120GB in order not to damage it, sell it off and get me a 160GB one.

Please let me know, thanks.

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #39 of 130
I'm 100% sure. Dunno the reason though. But i can assure that mounting the Toshiba 240Gb HD onto a iPod 120Gb will render a usable drive of 128Gb.

It's not only that a friend of mine ended up like this but you can check on a few ebay instances selling the 240Gb that it only works properly with 5.5G ipods and 7G iPods (where 7G is the MC297 model released in 2009).

In my opinion you should not try yourself since chances of being successful are 0%.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #40 of 130
I'm sure you are right. I'm reading simalr things after searching again.

One other bit of info though:
I read someone having the same problem when modding a 5G, it only addressed one platter.
He removed it again and connected it to his computer to remove the partitioning on the drive.
Agter reinserting it it worked. He stated a 5G not a 5.5G but not that explicitly though.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #41 of 130

Quote:
I'm sure you are right. I'm reading simalr things after searching again.

One other bit of info though:
I read someone having the same problem when modding a 5G, it only addressed one platter.
He removed it again and connected it to his computer to remove the partitioning on the drive.
Agter reinserting it it worked. He stated a 5G not a 5.5G but not that explicitly though.

My pal went thru drive formatting to remove partition to no avail. His was an iPod 120Gb.

Whatever you might do i hope it turns out right.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #42 of 130
Thanks, pretty much confirmed then.
Besides, adapters would be needed to reformat it anyway.
So I'll get me a 7gen 160 to mod.

EDIT: confirmed by the seller of the 240GB HDD.

According our testing the HDD is only compatible with 5.5th Gen iPod Video (iPod 5th Generation Late 2006) and 7th Gen 160GB iPod Classic(thin model).
Please don't buy it for you 5th Gen iPod (iPod 5th Generation 2005).(5.5th Gen iPod with songs search function but 5th Gen iPod without this function.)
If you used it for iPod Classic 6th gen or 6.5th Gen. It only show 128GB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back