iPhone 6s Sound Quality
Dec 5, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #466 of 881
Output Impedances:
5S- 2.3
6 - 3.18
6S- 3.3

Thanks for this information. Guess that explains why the iPhone 6S has more bass than my iPhone 5S using the Shure SE846.

Dec 5, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #467 of 881
Well, high impedance IEM's should work probably, but as the impedance varies with the frequency, at certain frequencies the output impedance could be much lower.

If it's not a tube amp, I don't see a reason why the output impedance is not 0.

Depends on the driver. Most dynamics at the size of an IEM have pretty much ruler flat impedance curves so that's a non-issue. And most single BA's have their reported impedance at the low end of the curve purely due to ththe General shape of the curve on a single BA. What is generally the worry are hybrids and multi-driver units because of the complexity in controlling the resultant curves, which is usually bottom of the barrel in terms of importance for IEM sound engineers IMO.

Not being an engineer, I'm assuming that there are many considerations at play when designing the circuit. If it was just that easy and free and lacking in compromise, why wouldn't everyone just do it and market their product as ideal.

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #469 of 881
Dec 5, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #470 of 881
Thanks for this information. Guess that explains why the iPhone 6S has more bass than my iPhone 5S using the Shure SE846.

Uum, not really.  First you said the iPhone was not suited for IEMs, because of the hi output impedance.  The low output impedances were posted and now you say a 1 ohm impedance difference changes the bass.

The Shure SE846 has a 9 ohm impedance at 1 KHz.  At 60 Hz, it is 16 ohms, so 2 or 3 ohm output impedance will not make a difference in bass.

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #471 of 881
When I was loaned the se846, I had the nearly 5 ohm iPhone 5. That was not a good match. It was pretty wooly sounding. I'm not a fan of the se846 anyway but I think I'd want less than 1 ohm with it.

As much as I like my 6S+, I think the 5S has been my favorite sounding iPhone thus far. I'd argue the iPhones are good for most iems but there will be a few it might not pair well with due to OI mismatches.

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #472 of 881
When I was loaned the se846, I had the nearly 5 ohm iPhone 5. That was not a good match. It was pretty wooly sounding. I'm not a fan of the se846 anyway but I think I'd want less than 1 ohm with it.

As much as I like my 6S+, I think the 5S has been my favorite sounding iPhone thus far. I'd argue the iPhones are good for most iems but there will be a few it might not pair well with due to OI mismatches.

Not sure if you'd agree, but I'd say that there's also the differing signatures between iPhones which could not play ideally with certain IEMs/cans, on top of the potential OI issue.

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #473 of 881
  1.  originally posted by:
    [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/3f/100x100px-LS-3fdfc0aa_avatar-120-7.jpg[/img]
  1. RugbyPlayer   -the problem here is nobody has said this is audible, ever. Which means its only happening to a noticeable level in VERY remote cases that are absolutely no legit use cases for listening to music. Its kind of absurd how much people obsess over this
  2. ==================================================
  3. Well said, thanks for stating my feelings on this. All this absurd scrutinizing.....it's a non-issue for most iPhone users...but creates needless concern for the vast majority of those wanting to buy an iPhone 6S or 6s+ and use for audiophile needs. 0 issues here, sounds great and by far the best iPhone yet all around!.(not discounting that a very small number of users are afflicted, still why spread false alarm?). As long as the phone is purchased unlocked, Apple will refund your money within 14 days.

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #474 of 881
shotgunshane you're wrong on impedance for iPhone 6 which is measured as same as iPhone 5S which is 2.3 source : http://headphoniaks.com/blog/en/calidad-sonido-smartphones-iphone-6-htc-one-m8-fiio-x1/3/

It's possible the 6 and 6+ are different. Or maybe one of these sites gets it wrong, IDK. But Ken Rockwell has 3.18.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #476 of 881
iPhone 6 is 2.3 ohms.

Ken Rockwell z measurements always are higher because of the impedance of cables he uses.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #477 of 881
Uum, not really.  First you said the iPhone was not suited for IEMs, because of the hi output impedance.  The low output impedances were posted and now you say a 1 ohm impedance difference changes the bass.

The Shure SE846 has a 9 ohm impedance at 1 KHz.  At 60 Hz, it is 16 ohms, so 2 or 3 ohm output impedance will not make a difference in bass.

My Chord Hugo with 0 output impedance says that it does make a difference.

That is why I tend to use the white filter because the blue filter is too dark for the iPhone.

The only thing I said was that the measurements confirm what I was hearing between the iPhone 5S and iPhone 6S plus. Search my older posts from months ago about me suspecting that the output impedance was higher due to the increased bass.

Dec 6, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #478 of 881
My Chord Hugo with 0 output impedance says that it does make a difference.

That is why I tend to use the white filter because the blue filter is too dark for the iPhone.

The only thing I said was that the measurements confirm what I was hearing between the iPhone 5S and iPhone 6S plus. Search my older posts from months ago about me suspecting that the output impedance was higher due to the increased bass.

Potential correlation doesn't really equal causation.

Anywho, you're making it sound like the only difference between your Hugo and the iPhones is the OI, which is quite the compliment to the iPhone :p

Dec 6, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #479 of 881
Potential correlation doesn't really equal causation.

Anywho, you're making it sound like the only difference between your Hugo and the iPhones is the OI, which is quite the compliment to the iPhone :p

Where did I say that's the only difference? I posted in this thread a few months ago what the differences are.

Output impedance raises the bass of the Shure SE846. Measurements from innerfidility show it which you can search in the Shure SE846 thread.

It's no coincidence that the Shure SE846
also has a huge bass when it's connected to the HDVD800 or my Apogee DAC + amp also.

I did hear the increased bass of the iPhone 6S in comparison to the iphone 5s and it's been confirmed that the output impedance is higher.

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #480 of 881
Where did I say that's the only difference? I posted in this thread a few months ago what the differences are.

Output impedance raises the bass of the Shure SE846. Measurements from innerfidility show it which you can search in the Shure SE846 thread.

It's no coincidence that the Shure SE846
also has a huge bass when it's connected to the HDVD800 or my Apogee DAC + amp also.

I did hear the increased bass of the iPhone 6S in comparison to the iphone 5s and it's been confirmed that the output impedance is higher.

Sorry, I was kidding. Hoped that would come through. Hence the " :p "

I think the extent you perceive the increase in bass is being masked by the lack of bass control due to the low dampening factor. In the end, 2 vs 3 ohm z-out will probably have a pretty negligible effect on FR, but will likely be less likely able to control the driver at what are probably resonant frequencies, often the low end.
Also, lower frequencies are markedly closer sounding and IMO not as tight or cleanly imaged on the 6S compared to the 5S. The 4S had lower OI than the 5S but I hear the bass on the 4S as generally less precise than the 5S, which goes against the OI as a be-all explanation.

I don't think anything on innerfidelity shows expressly that it will increase bass and to what extent, though that's the general impact.

The OI on the HDVD800 is 16 ohm, which is a significantly higher than 3, especially when getting a dampening factor against ~15ohm input impedance.

And besides, measurements show the 846 as having pretty strong bass regardless, at least 5dB higher than any target response.

But whatever, you now hear huge bass, attribute it to 1 ohm of extra Z-Out and I probably can't convince you otherwise. And that's fine. I just think you're oversimplifying it. Personally I think if this was graphed, we'd see a negligible increase in dB in the bass from the 1ohm of OI over generally accepted ideal 1/8th, and what we'd notice is a worse looking waterfall down low. But that's just as much an assumption as yours tbh. Maybe a bit from both columns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back