iPhone 6s Sound Quality
Dec 21, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #541 of 881
I have both near me. My wife disabled touch ID on 6 because of that non existing lag.

Learned to use the power button to unlock =/

http://youtu.be/djBp0ijphMI

That's not even close to as fast as the 6S. At least in respect to a second =)

That looks like how it was processed on my 5S tbh. On the 6S, I literally have trouble pressing the button fast enough with a normal motion to make it not register my fingerprint. The key isn't how fast it looks like it unlocks but how fast it scans your finger.

So I quickly press and release, no holding it for a second like in your video and it unlocks the phone, even if the unlocking animation takes an extra half second to start up.

Anywho. The sound is still there with 9.2 for me, but felt a bit lower in volume. That could be my mind just being stupid though.

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #543 of 881
Learned to use the power button to unlock =/
That's not even close to as fast as the 6S. At least in respect to a second =)

That looks like how it was processed on my 5S tbh. On the 6S, I literally have trouble pressing the button fast enough with a normal motion to make it not register my fingerprint. The key isn't how fast it looks like it unlocks but how fast it scans your finger.

So I quickly press and release, no holding it for a second like in your video and it unlocks the phone, even if the unlocking animation takes an extra half second to start up.

Anywho. The sound is still there with 9.2 for me, but felt a bit lower in volume. That could be my mind just being stupid though.

I think you are also missing the whole point. First of all the person who initiated this particular discussion admitted that it looks fast enough to him. Not lightning or stellar, just fast enough. So guess what, I am happy with fast enough because I get also a crystal clear audio. What I am trying to say from the beginning is that I would rather have a fast enough touch id, which to me is not at all important since the intended operation is executed perfectly as it is, than having an audio crippled device, which the same person who initiated the discussion and is a 6s owner presented as noisy after each and every operation while listening to music. He even suggested to listen to quite passages only with the screen off in order to avoid noises!! And yet you come here and insisting saying that your touch id is some milliseconds faster than mine, like we care a lot about a so minor issue in comparison to the huge problem of noisy background audio!

So to clarify once again and rest my case; Yes your 6s' touch id maybe some ms of ms faster than 6. Should we care about it? Not at all, because the 6 audio is much clearer than 6s. IPhone 7 will have the audio defection resolved as well as getting an even faster touch id, so that will be the iPhone to buy and not the problematic 6s...

And one more thing; My initial question which remains unanswered is why he preferred the 6s over 6, since 6 does not present the audio defection of 6s?? Is it because of ms faster touch id? Or because you need to have the newer even if it is problematic? If this is the case then it's really funny because you participate in an audio forum and here audio is one of the most important aspects of a device. Please keep that in mind...

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #544 of 881
I think you are also missing the whole point. First of all the person who initiated this particular discussion admitted that it looks fast enough to him. Not lightning or stellar, just fast enough. So guess what, I am happy with fast enough because I get also a crystal clear audio. What I am trying to say from the beginning is that I would rather have a fast enough touch id, which to me is not at all important since the intended operation is executed perfectly as it is, than having an audio crippled device, which the same person who initiated the discussion and is a 6s owner presented as noisy after each and every operation while listening to music. He even suggested to listen to quite passages only with the screen off in order to avoid noises!! And yet you come here and insisting saying that your touch id is some milliseconds faster than mine, like we care a lot about a so minor issue in comparison to the huge problem of noisy background audio!

So to clarify once again and rest my case; Yes your 6s' touch id maybe some ms of ms faster than 6. Should we care about it? Not at all, because the 6 audio is much clearer than 6s. IPhone 7 will have the audio defection resolved as well as getting an even faster touch id, so that will be the iPhone to buy and not the problematic 6s...

And one more thing; My initial question which remains unanswered is why he preferred the 6s over 6, since 6 does not present the audio defection of 6s?? Is it because of ms faster touch id? Or because you need to have the newer even if it is problematic? If this is the case then it's really funny because you participate in an audio forum and here audio is one of the most important aspects of a device. Please keep that in mind...

And I think you've missed the point that unless you're using an IEM that is very low impedance and extremely sensitive, this audio noise isn't perceivable. It is a non-issue for most people.

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #545 of 881
And I think you've missed the point that unless you're using an IEM that is very low impedance and extremely sensitive, this audio noise isn't perceivable. It is a non-issue for most people.

I am not missing any point. I reply to people who have admitted that they face the problem themselves using their own iems. I am not commenting generally. A device which gives noises to 20 ohm iem is crippled according to my book. A person above mentioned that there is safety only for 35 ohm and above!! Very good! But it's ok, it's got lightning fast touch id!:)))

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #546 of 881
The point is:
1. Out of all headphones I have, only one pair has the ability to pick up that mosquito fart.
2. Even with those, it can be noticed only when there is no music playing, or playing at one bar or lower volume.

so If for some weird reason I would need to analytically listen to specific silent track - yes, I would better switch off the screen, than live every day with 1gb of ram.

At the same time, I would trade touch ID alltogether for no mosquito fart :)
Would I call it a defect? No.

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #547 of 881

I think my response was to a comment/point was that there was no discernible difference between the TouchID on the 6 and the 6S. That part only. Not regarding the audio. It was isolated. While there may have been context, that point stood alone and could be responded to on its own merits. Thereon lies my response. That's it's good enough for him is beside my point. I actually argue that it being this fast now is the opposite of stellar for some uses lol.

I know the core issue. I was here on this thread since day one and probably one of the first people to confirm hearing it on here.

There are various reasons why one might like the 6S more over the 6. More camera megapixels (not that that's better, but it allows for easier cropping as an eg) faster processor and gpu for whatever one may need it for, faster touchid (which I argue actually does a better job of reading the fingerprint in less than ideal conditions), more RAM (which is great for example in not having pages reload in a browser when you have a lot open). And the sound signature/processing is in all probability a little different, as it is on most new iPhone models, which one might like better. While this is an audio site, it may be enough positives for one's use to make the audio issue a relative non-issue, especially if you don't have or always use earphones that can pick it up. That's certainly the case for me.

Point being, as has been said many a time over: yes it's an issue, but the magnitude depends on the circumstances. Some people are fine with it, some aren't.

I listen mainly on the train/walking and sometimes at work. Nowhere near critical listening while doing stuff with the phone, and only use IEMs that can pick it up randomly in my rotation. Point: I don't even think about it.

If people only talked about audio here, this place would have bored me away a long time ago. Variety my friend, variety.

I am not missing any point. I reply to people who have admitted that they face the problem themselves using their own iems. I am not commenting generally. A device which gives noises to 20 ohm iem is crippled according to my book. A person above mentioned that there is safety only for 35 ohm and above!! Very good! But it's ok, it's got lightning fast touch id!:)))

input impedance is not the only measure (and not even a direct measure) of what would allow one to hear it.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #548 of 881
The point is:
1. Out of all headphones I have, only one pair has the ability to pick up that mosquito fart.
2. Even with those, it can be noticed only when there is no music playing, or playing at one bar or lower volume.

so If for some weird reason I would need to analytically listen to specific silent track - yes, I would better switch off the screen, than live every day with 1gb of ram.

RAM is not important. The differences are minor. If you care RAM so much why don't you buy Samsung with 4gb ram?? All years before Samsung had more ram but iphones were always functioning better. Why?? Because of better total implementation. Same goes now. We produce music with high demanding 80 running tracks on contemporary music software just on macbook laptop of 2012 or 2013 with just 8 gb ram without a hiccup. And you come now, as a real marketing victim, and you try to present that you really really need 2 gb of ram on a phone!! That you gave your money to buy 2gb RAM instead of 1 and you are now in paradise because of double ram!! OK that's good, but each one has his preferences and in real world it's a small minority people who need to use their phones as on your earlier posted crazy and exaggerated scenario. Buy a new macbook with retina for that use. You will be able to watch some movie as well instead of fighting to understand a detailed photo on the miniature screen of all phones!!..

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #549 of 881
what the heck are we arguing about. My i6+ unlocks the same speed as in that video, and I'd consider that super fast. It's already reading it when I press down on it to unlock it seems. The only time I have lag is when the button is dirty from constant use and lack of cleaning (I wipe the screen but didn't notice the button).

So the sound quality is pretty much the same except for some low mosquito fart noise? My listening environment isn't that quiet. I think that would drive me crazy actually.

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #550 of 881
what the heck are we arguing about. My i6+ unlocks the same speed as in that video, and I'd consider that super fast. It's already reading it when I press down on it to unlock it seems. The only time I have lag is when the button is dirty from constant use and lack of cleaning (I wipe the screen but didn't notice the button).

So the sound quality is pretty much the same except for some low mosquito fart noise? My listening environment isn't that quiet. I think that would drive me crazy actually.

+1

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #551 of 881
RAM is not important. The differences are minor. If you care RAM so much why don't you buy Samsung with 4gb ram?? All years before Samsung had more ram but iphones were always functioning better. Why?? Because of better total implementation. Same goes now. We produce music with high demanding 80 running tracks on contemporary music software just on macbook laptop of 2012 or 2013 with just 8 gb ram without a hiccup. And you come now, as a real marketing victim, and you try to present that you really really need 2 gb of ram on a phone!! That you gave your money to buy 2gb RAM instead of 1 and you are now in paradise because of double ram!! OK that's good, but each one has his preferences and in real world it's a small minority people who need to use their phones as on your earlier posted crazy and exaggerated scenario. Buy a new macbook with retina for that use. You will be able to watch some movie as well instead of fighting to understand a detailed photo on the miniature screen of all phones!!..

Dude, now you're just borderline trolling.

By your argument. Yea, Apple "implementation" but now twice the ram. Processors get stronger, storage more abundant, developers take advantage, and software likes the high. They'll pull on out whatever resources are available to improve the experience for their goods.

My significantly decreased reloading of safari tabs when having a lot of tabs open can be more than enough reason to get a new phone if I were to deem it so. It's a persons choice and their prerogative to spend their money any way they choose for whatever reasons they see fit. This conversation is going nowhere fast.

You can flail your digital arms about in all the incredulous uproar you want.

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #552 of 881
The point is:

Yesterday you were trying to prove that 6 touch id is slow and that your wife disabled it all together. My video proves that 6 touch id is fast enough and 100% usable. Today you are coming back mentioning the ram matter and not caring anymore the touch id which was very important to you yesterday! Your matter is that you are trying to convince that your purchase was right. According to me and some others it was not. If you thought your phone was OK you would not write here at first. An earlier post mentions clearly that even from the output impedance which is higher in 6s than that of 6 and 5s, noise aside, you can understand that audio is inferior with some low impedance iems...

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #553 of 881
Dude, now you're just borderline trolling.

By your argument. Yea, Apple "implementation" but now twice the ram. Processors get stronger, storage more abundant, developers take advantage, and software likes the high. They'll pull on out whatever resources are available to improve the experience for their goods.

My significantly decreased reloading of safari tabs when having a lot of tabs open can be more than enough reason to get a new phone if I were to deem it so. It's a persons choice and their prerogative to spend their money any way they choose for whatever reasons they see fit. This conversation is going nowhere fast.

You can flail your digital arms about in all the incredulous uproar you want.

Sorry, maybe I don't use my iPhone that heavily so I may not be aware, but I don't get this Safari reloading argument. Many times I have 5-6 tabs open on my IPhone 6 and I can scroll across, check one tab, visiting another, going back to the previous one, without problems or delays. I didn't realize whether it's reloading or not, but I never missed the page I was visiting on each particular tab. Maybe I don't understand what you mean though...

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #554 of 881
First of all you need to make sure you are buying an American or Canadian iPhone (the EU iPhones have a volume cap)  I am a cell technician who is obsessed with audio quality.  I have owned the HTC M8 and iPhone 5s.  I recently upgraded to the iPhone 6s expecting as good or better sq and returned to the 5s as I was not happy with the 6s output.  Don't get me wrong - the iPhone 6s has a fabulous sounding DAC however the amplifier is not very good with low impedance headphones - I use a pair of 16ohm IEM's and at there is noticable distortion at max volume and drums don't have the same impact and dynamics as they did with the 5s.  I have done some simple testing on these phones using some 0dB sine waves and a true RMS multimeter and the results clearly explain the sound quality:

Headphones used: a few different pairs of 16 ohm IEM's and a 60Hz tone to simulate the ability do drive demanding low frequencies

Without a load:

HTC One M8 - 1.03 volts - Boomsound enable - 1.19 volts
iPhone 5s - 1.01 volts
iPhone 6s - .96 volts

With a 16 ohm load:

HTC One M8 - .874volts - Boomsound enable - .913 volts
iPhone 5s - .906volts
iPhone 6s - .778volts

The iPhone 6s has by far the largest voltage drop when a load is introduced.  This isn't the cause of the distortion per say but indicates a lesser amplifier design which will most definitely present distortion with lower impedance loads.  The M8 has a very slightly larger voltage drop than the 5s  which surprised me however the difference is inaudible and with boomsound enabled it has a tad more oomph than the 5s. I couldn't hear any distortion with these 2 phones no matter how hard I pushed them.  With the 6s I immediately noticed more distortion and less dynamics.  However with higher impedance loads such as 32 and up, the iPhone 6s is on par with the M8 and 5s.

This earlier post says it all. There is nothing more to be said I think...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back