iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Sep 23, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #77 of 1,973
Good evening all!

I just came back from the Apple store and in my opinion, the iPhone 6 sounds much better than my iPhone 5.
The soundstage is wider and as many have said, the sound is warmer.
I demoed Iphone 6 using my UE 5 CIEM. I really enjoyed sound. The tracks I heard were not apple lossless thus suspect it would sound much better with higher quality music files.  I think I'll pull trigger soon!

Sep 23, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #78 of 1,973
  I'm having the same problem. I have iPhone 6 and few pairs of headphones:

- with RE400 it's edgy and not smooth at at all
- with DBA-02 much more tolerable but not too great
- with DUNU 1000 - well they are kinda niche, but they perform as expected especially in bass department
- with Shure 535 LTD - my god, this is like the perfect pairing, no hissing, sweet mids, IMHO this is the perfect pairing with Iphone 6.

I have never had iPhone 5/S so it's hard for me to compare. It's a great upgrade from Galaxy S4 and I even prefer it for certain thing to Fiio X3. No regret purchase.

I went back and looked through the 5s/5c thread hereThis user reported issues virtually identical to my experience with painful, edgy sound from some headphones. Based on this, I am guessing this is a pairing issue perhaps.

Also, adding a second filter to the RE400s makes them a lot better, but nothing approaching what they do with other sources.

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #80 of 1,973
  I updated my iphone 5 to ios 8 and the sound seems warmer and has more detail. So  I think they just upgraded the software, not hardware :)

Humm maybe..... can't agree though maybe the output or synergy was different paired with my Dunu but I tried a relatives iphone 5 with ios 8 and seems a slight bit better than what I previously remember hearing but not as good as the iphone 6 just sounding like a little bit of magic when I had a brief listen. After I get my hand on one I'll comment a bit more but it's not fair to do so until I have both and do an A and B comparison. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #82 of 1,973
  Good evening all!

I just came back from the Apple store and in my opinion, the iPhone 6 sounds much better than my iPhone 5.
The soundstage is wider and as many have said, the sound is warmer.
I demoed Iphone 6 using my UE 5 CIEM. I really enjoyed sound. The tracks I heard were not apple lossless thus suspect it would sound much better with higher quality music files.  I think I'll pull trigger soon!

I couldn't agree more. I've tried two different headphones, switching back and forth between my iPhone 6 and 5 (both running ios8) and the 6 sounds noticeably better: warmer, a bit more detailed, less edgy at the high frequencies, and the bass has more authority.

Sep 24, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #85 of 1,973
As an iPhone sound lover i'm really tempted to purchase a 128Gb iPhone 6 ditching my 5s 64gb.

Problem being that snatching a non European 6 (hence not capped) being in Europe will subtract 1250$ from my bank account...hence i gotta be sure that output impedance is 2 or less. If anybody could measure it i'd be really grateful.

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #86 of 1,973
I'm having the same problem. I have iPhone 6 and few pairs of headphones:

- with RE400 it's edgy and not smooth at at all
- with DBA-02 much more tolerable but not too great
- with DUNU 1000 - well they are kinda niche, but they perform as expected especially in bass department
- with Shure 535 LTD - my god, this is like the perfect pairing, no hissing, sweet mids, IMHO this is the perfect pairing with Iphone 6.

I have never had iPhone 5/S so it's hard for me to compare. It's a great upgrade from Galaxy S4 and I even prefer it for certain thing to Fiio X3. No regret purchase.

Is the iphone 6 really that bad with the DBA-02? They are the only pair of headphones I have and I think they're superb and don't really want to buy another pair.

I had an iphone 4 and I thought it sounded great with the DBA's. I've now got an HTC One and although the sound is good, there is quite a lot of hiss/background noise on a lot of tracks. Where as the iphone 4 was clean as a whistle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back