iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Sep 25, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #109 of 1,973
I doubt there is any hardware difference between the 6 and 6+ other than the size of the screen, the camera assembly and the battery.

But I won't be surprise if anyone would later claim to hear a difference comparing the sound between 6 and 6+
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #113 of 1,973
iFixit listed the only audio related part as the Cirrus Logic 338S1201 Audo Codec, does anyone know if this is the DAC?

Yes this is the DAC chip, same like the 5S.

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #114 of 1,973
  I doubt there is any hardware difference between the 6 and 6+ other than the size of the screen, the camera assembly and the battery.

But I won't be surprise if anyone would later claim to hear a difference comparing the sound between 6 and 6+
tongue.gif

Yes, in the 6+ the soundstage is more open and the sound is more transparent. 6 on the other hand is warmer and the bass hits more strongly.

biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #116 of 1,973

Yes, in the 6+ the soundstage is more open and the sound is more transparent. 6 on the other hand is warmer and the bass hits more strongly.

biggrin.gif

I totally agree, although the bass is too strong in my opinion.  It interferes with other frequency ranges slightly.

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #117 of 1,973
[I have used my iphone 6 all week and really like the audio. This includes using my xba-4 and Triple-fis, both phones that require.a low output impedance. In fact, I never upgraded to the iPhone 5s last year because the xba-4 sounded hollowed out with much weaker bass than on my 4s. No problems with the 6. It also drives my Koss Tony Bennett special edition well, another headphone that is picky about sources. It's a perfect match to my Turbulent Labs Magnum build. And it even has enough guts to drive my modded Fostex T50RPs. That's something my 4s never did well. No, it isn't as good as the little dot 1+, but that amp has a lot more power and a tube front end. So it gets lots louder. But on a song that is well recorded at a good volume, I don't notice any flab in the bass and the mids are ortho beautiful. I haven't had the urge to even try my Fiio E11 with it. I don't have a lightning adaptor so I would have to go from the headphone out. One less item to deal with, I figure.

I eventually did a side by side review using the 4s and the 6 to make sure this wasn't expectation bias at work. To eliminate any changes In the IOS music player, I instead used the CanOpener app on both devices, with volume matched by ear. In all cases, the 6 sounded better. I would describe it as a little warmer and a lot less congested. The bass has just as much impact but the mid seem more spread out, not just in soundstage but in detail. Treble is also as good or better.

I didn't audition the 6 plus because I didn't like the way it didn't fit in my pockets. My advice is to take your headphones to an apple store or other retailer and see what your ears say. Mine say it's a keeper. I can live with this for the next two years. Who knows what will be available then. /B]

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #118 of 1,973
Gsmsrena posted their customary measurements. Seems that they measured en European Union capped iPhone because they compare its output power with that of the Galaxy s5 (which i have heard and sounds a lot softer than my american iPhone 5s). Furthermore at phonearena they measured 1 volt of output off the 6 (same as iPads and iPhone 5s). Hence as usual don't take too seriously gsmarena data. What i gather from them is that output impedance must be between 2.2 and 2.7 ohms or so (they test with akg cans that have an impedance spike at 50hz).

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #119 of 1,973
Here is the GSMarena link, though I too take them with a grain of salt after seeing all their mis-steps and blunders over the years.

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6-review-1141p8.php

On the home front, my US 6 seems to be mellowing out over time. It is not nearly as harsh as it was on day one. Not sure if I believed burn-in for electronics before or not, but it sure seems to be happening. The real test will be when I get the RE400s back from repair.

Sep 27, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #120 of 1,973
Since i have the chance to get in 72 hours an iPhone 6 128gb imported from the U.S. I would need impressions from people that have had previously an iPhone 5s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back