- 9 Posts. Joined 7/2005
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Suggestions needed with my cMoy BB v. 2.02 and iPhone 5s Last post on 7/9/14 at 7:58pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E7 + iPhone 5 = successful? Last post on 7/8/14 at 8:21pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Does the Onkyo HF Player on iPhone 5s truly output 24-bit/192 kHz? Last post on 5/26/14 at 3:21pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Audio Technica AH-M50x vs Philips Fidelio L1 vs Something Else Last post on 5/23/14 at 11:51am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Recs on full-size, open headphones that do not require amp? Last post on 5/13/14 at 9:08am in Headphones (full-size)
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
Gear mentioned in this thread:
My Wife got a 5C and i compared the headphone out across an iPhone 5, iPod Touch 5th gen and an iPad 4th Gen and i can say that i was very impressed by the 5C output, so much so i've sold all those devices and bought myself a 5C. I don't know what apple done with the circuit or the DAC but it sounds fantastic and the volume level is enough to drive my Philips L1 and my earphones. iTunes never sounded so good. Just my 2 cents.
+ Clear sound stage with plenty of detail
+ Muffled sound of iPhone 5 is gone
+ Clean bass, mids and treble
- Non so far
Edited by gadgetheaven - 9/24/13 at 3:27am
I've no idea about HiRes, but i am finding the stock 256K iTunes Plus downloads sound great with plenty of dynamics and sound stage on the new 5C. Head Fiers should go to their local Apple store for an audition. I have no idea why they don't promote sound upgrade as a feature of the new phones.
Can you say that the 5C's volume output is similar if not better than the 4S or 4 (if you tried one)?
I never tried my wifes 4S, its gone already. best bet is an audition at apple store. I think they done a great job on the audio of 5C. Now if they can fix the glitches in iOS 7 then for me its a phone that does it all.
I sold the iPhone 5 to keep my 4S because of the lower volume. I can't fathom that a newer device has less output power than the older one.
Hence may be 5c/5s are back on track in the output power regard.
The 5c should just be a regular 5 with a plastic back, according to all the tech blogs I've read. Rudi and a few other head-fiers have mentioned better sound on the 5 after installing iOS7. I didn't really pay attention when I updated, as I already liked the 5 and was mainly focusing on the CCK and external DAC compatibility update with iOS7.
iPhone 5: Apple 338S1117
iPhone 5C: Apple 338S1116
iPhone 5S: Apple 338S1216
But, here's an update on the 5S from Chipworks:
As we mentioned earlier, we’re seeing a lot of familiar components inside the iPhone 5s. The major standouts being the new A7 processor and two new MEMS devices. We are also seeing a new power management IC by Dialog Semiconductor and a new audio codec and class D amplifier by Cirrus Logic. The Power Management IC by Dialog Semiconductor has the part number 338S1216-A2. The new parts by Cirrus are numbered as 338S1202 for the Class D audio amplifier and 338S1201 for the Audio Codec. Note that the audio codec is ~30% smaller than the codec inside the iPhone 5.
Audio Codec: 338S1201
Class D Amplifier: 338S1202
I'm guessing an Audio Codec is a more all encompassing audio chip solution that includes a DAC?
Also of note is that the much lauded iPod Touch 5G used the same 338S1117 chip as the much panned iPhone 5, IIRC. I would guess then that the magic sauce was in the amp.
I am kind of curious about the 30% smaller but though. Anyone who wants to take a guess can try Cirrus Logic's low power product section.
I actually have a 5S sitting on my desk, never turned on because I'm waiting for a case to come in tomorrow. I would normally be astounded at my willpower but it's been kind of nice not having cellphone reception for one and a half days.
I did hear it at the store for like half an hour and I feel like there may have been a blacker background and less harshness than on my 4S. Take this with a commercial mound of salt because I didn't have one song that was the same as on the store demo model and it was in the middle of Grand Central Terminal.
- iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 47 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 54 seconds ago
- › Toxic Cable Silver Widow for Audeze 1 minute ago
- › Which open headphones would be a good compliment to my NAD Viso HP50? 3 minutes ago
- › FIIO x3 + HD 650 ? Sound quality vs portability ? 3 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 4 minutes ago
- › High End CIEM/IEM Thread! 5 minutes ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 5 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 8 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 9 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)