- 9 Posts. Joined 7/2005
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Suggestions needed with my cMoy BB v. 2.02 and iPhone 5s Last post on 7/9/14 at 7:58pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E7 + iPhone 5 = successful? Last post on 7/8/14 at 8:21pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Does the Onkyo HF Player on iPhone 5s truly output 24-bit/192 kHz? Last post on 5/26/14 at 3:21pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Audio Technica AH-M50x vs Philips Fidelio L1 vs Something Else Last post on 5/23/14 at 11:51am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Recs on full-size, open headphones that do not require amp? Last post on 5/13/14 at 9:08am in Headphones (full-size)
As of September 2014, the HE-400 has been discontinued, and it's successor, the HE-400i is being sold in its place. So why publish, or even read, a review now? First, there are many used...
DAC OCU(B) 1866 — very interesting portable DAC/amp combo from Russian manufacturer Myst. Things I like: — Nice look. As OCUB is made in small quantities, it uses stock case, but case is fully...
i know you already read the threads full of people talking about how nice is this earphone. i know they're all talking about how cheap and bang for buck it is and which one is the original and...
Note: I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason the little bars at the side aren't matching what I put them to. Audio Quality, Design, and Value I all consider to be top notch, with comfort having...
This is a review of Bowers & Wilkins B&W C5 Series 2 (new 2014 version) in-ear premium headphones with in-line remote....
iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
Gear mentioned in this thread:
My Wife got a 5C and i compared the headphone out across an iPhone 5, iPod Touch 5th gen and an iPad 4th Gen and i can say that i was very impressed by the 5C output, so much so i've sold all those devices and bought myself a 5C. I don't know what apple done with the circuit or the DAC but it sounds fantastic and the volume level is enough to drive my Philips L1 and my earphones. iTunes never sounded so good. Just my 2 cents.
+ Clear sound stage with plenty of detail
+ Muffled sound of iPhone 5 is gone
+ Clean bass, mids and treble
- Non so far
Edited by gadgetheaven - 9/24/13 at 3:27am
I've no idea about HiRes, but i am finding the stock 256K iTunes Plus downloads sound great with plenty of dynamics and sound stage on the new 5C. Head Fiers should go to their local Apple store for an audition. I have no idea why they don't promote sound upgrade as a feature of the new phones.
Can you say that the 5C's volume output is similar if not better than the 4S or 4 (if you tried one)?
I never tried my wifes 4S, its gone already. best bet is an audition at apple store. I think they done a great job on the audio of 5C. Now if they can fix the glitches in iOS 7 then for me its a phone that does it all.
I sold the iPhone 5 to keep my 4S because of the lower volume. I can't fathom that a newer device has less output power than the older one.
Hence may be 5c/5s are back on track in the output power regard.
The 5c should just be a regular 5 with a plastic back, according to all the tech blogs I've read. Rudi and a few other head-fiers have mentioned better sound on the 5 after installing iOS7. I didn't really pay attention when I updated, as I already liked the 5 and was mainly focusing on the CCK and external DAC compatibility update with iOS7.
iPhone 5: Apple 338S1117
iPhone 5C: Apple 338S1116
iPhone 5S: Apple 338S1216
But, here's an update on the 5S from Chipworks:
As we mentioned earlier, we’re seeing a lot of familiar components inside the iPhone 5s. The major standouts being the new A7 processor and two new MEMS devices. We are also seeing a new power management IC by Dialog Semiconductor and a new audio codec and class D amplifier by Cirrus Logic. The Power Management IC by Dialog Semiconductor has the part number 338S1216-A2. The new parts by Cirrus are numbered as 338S1202 for the Class D audio amplifier and 338S1201 for the Audio Codec. Note that the audio codec is ~30% smaller than the codec inside the iPhone 5.
Audio Codec: 338S1201
Class D Amplifier: 338S1202
I'm guessing an Audio Codec is a more all encompassing audio chip solution that includes a DAC?
Also of note is that the much lauded iPod Touch 5G used the same 338S1117 chip as the much panned iPhone 5, IIRC. I would guess then that the magic sauce was in the amp.
I am kind of curious about the 30% smaller but though. Anyone who wants to take a guess can try Cirrus Logic's low power product section.
I actually have a 5S sitting on my desk, never turned on because I'm waiting for a case to come in tomorrow. I would normally be astounded at my willpower but it's been kind of nice not having cellphone reception for one and a half days.
I did hear it at the store for like half an hour and I feel like there may have been a blacker background and less harshness than on my 4S. Take this with a commercial mound of salt because I didn't have one song that was the same as on the store demo model and it was in the middle of Grand Central Terminal.
- iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
- › A New Apex product!!! Name it HERE!!! 7 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 14 seconds ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 52 seconds ago
- › [GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More 1 minute ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 1 minute ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 2 minutes ago
- › Birthday present for me!! Budget 600$ Headphone/amp/dac setup for... 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! 2 minutes ago
- › Sony ex1000 for sale 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 2 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Midgetguy
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)