- 9 Posts. Joined 7/2005
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Does the Onkyo HF Player on iPhone 5s truly output 24-bit/192 kHz? Last post on 5/26/14 at 3:21pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Audio Technica AH-M50x vs Philips Fidelio L1 vs Something Else Last post on 5/23/14 at 11:51am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Recs on full-size, open headphones that do not require amp? Last post on 5/13/14 at 9:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio-Technica ad700x vs Philips Fidelio L1 Last post on 5/4/14 at 11:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- AKG K551 vs Beyerdynamic DT770s vs Philips Fidelio L1s. Last post on 5/1/14 at 6:24pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Using WASAPI, ASIO and onboard stock drivers yielded the exact same result. Same sound quality and same sound coloration. Unless you are suffering from serious EMI and static noise then these dont...
This is a review of TTPOD T1E dual dynamic driver in-ear headphones. http://penonaudio.com/TTPOD-T1E-Bass Here you go, another in-ear headphone gem for under $50! Though I was a bit skeptical...
My first quality IEM purchase was the Hifiman RE-400 when they first came out. I was used to low end Skullcandy sets at the time, and I really wanted to see what "reference sound" sounded like for...
This is going to be a short review, just letting you know in advance. I listen to mostly contemporary pop, classic rock, as well as a little classical. In my search for a good headphone to use for...
Disclaimer: This unit was part of a tour held by Justin at Headamp.com. As the second in the tour to hear these headphones, it likely was not properly burnt in. I thank Justin for giving me the...
iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
Gear mentioned in this thread:
My Wife got a 5C and i compared the headphone out across an iPhone 5, iPod Touch 5th gen and an iPad 4th Gen and i can say that i was very impressed by the 5C output, so much so i've sold all those devices and bought myself a 5C. I don't know what apple done with the circuit or the DAC but it sounds fantastic and the volume level is enough to drive my Philips L1 and my earphones. iTunes never sounded so good. Just my 2 cents.
+ Clear sound stage with plenty of detail
+ Muffled sound of iPhone 5 is gone
+ Clean bass, mids and treble
- Non so far
Edited by gadgetheaven - 9/24/13 at 3:27am
I've no idea about HiRes, but i am finding the stock 256K iTunes Plus downloads sound great with plenty of dynamics and sound stage on the new 5C. Head Fiers should go to their local Apple store for an audition. I have no idea why they don't promote sound upgrade as a feature of the new phones.
Can you say that the 5C's volume output is similar if not better than the 4S or 4 (if you tried one)?
I never tried my wifes 4S, its gone already. best bet is an audition at apple store. I think they done a great job on the audio of 5C. Now if they can fix the glitches in iOS 7 then for me its a phone that does it all.
I sold the iPhone 5 to keep my 4S because of the lower volume. I can't fathom that a newer device has less output power than the older one.
Hence may be 5c/5s are back on track in the output power regard.
The 5c should just be a regular 5 with a plastic back, according to all the tech blogs I've read. Rudi and a few other head-fiers have mentioned better sound on the 5 after installing iOS7. I didn't really pay attention when I updated, as I already liked the 5 and was mainly focusing on the CCK and external DAC compatibility update with iOS7.
iPhone 5: Apple 338S1117
iPhone 5C: Apple 338S1116
iPhone 5S: Apple 338S1216
But, here's an update on the 5S from Chipworks:
As we mentioned earlier, we’re seeing a lot of familiar components inside the iPhone 5s. The major standouts being the new A7 processor and two new MEMS devices. We are also seeing a new power management IC by Dialog Semiconductor and a new audio codec and class D amplifier by Cirrus Logic. The Power Management IC by Dialog Semiconductor has the part number 338S1216-A2. The new parts by Cirrus are numbered as 338S1202 for the Class D audio amplifier and 338S1201 for the Audio Codec. Note that the audio codec is ~30% smaller than the codec inside the iPhone 5.
Audio Codec: 338S1201
Class D Amplifier: 338S1202
I'm guessing an Audio Codec is a more all encompassing audio chip solution that includes a DAC?
Also of note is that the much lauded iPod Touch 5G used the same 338S1117 chip as the much panned iPhone 5, IIRC. I would guess then that the magic sauce was in the amp.
I am kind of curious about the 30% smaller but though. Anyone who wants to take a guess can try Cirrus Logic's low power product section.
I actually have a 5S sitting on my desk, never turned on because I'm waiting for a case to come in tomorrow. I would normally be astounded at my willpower but it's been kind of nice not having cellphone reception for one and a half days.
I did hear it at the store for like half an hour and I feel like there may have been a blacker background and less harshness than on my 4S. Take this with a commercial mound of salt because I didn't have one song that was the same as on the store demo model and it was in the middle of Grand Central Terminal.
- iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
- › Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here! 6 seconds ago
- › Help deciding on which headphones to try 17 seconds ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Appreciation Thread 43 seconds ago
- › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid... 1 minute ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 2 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 3 minutes ago
- › The voodoo-less cable thread. Reasonable cable vendors and reviews. 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Good Amp and DAC? 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by wigglepuff
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by twister6
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by bhazard
- › AKG K712 Pro by achelgeson
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Barra
- › PHILIPS-HEADPHONES SHQ1200/28 SHQ1200/28 SPORTS IN EAR HEADPHONES by dieTasse
- › Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones by juston
- › Sennheiser Momentum by MacroPower
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)