- 9 Posts. Joined 7/2005
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Does the Onkyo HF Player on iPhone 5s truly output 24-bit/192 kHz? Last post on 5/26/14 at 3:21pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Audio Technica AH-M50x vs Philips Fidelio L1 vs Something Else Last post on 5/23/14 at 11:51am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Recs on full-size, open headphones that do not require amp? Last post on 5/13/14 at 9:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio-Technica ad700x vs Philips Fidelio L1 Last post on 5/4/14 at 11:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- AKG K551 vs Beyerdynamic DT770s vs Philips Fidelio L1s. Last post on 5/1/14 at 6:24pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
The sound of master 1s is trully great for its size, especially the lower end. As you can see the NOS arrived with deteriorated ear pad and it still sound good with lot of bass extension. Even...
Using TheHeadphoneList's Review Format Below Accessories - 3/5 You get a semi-hard case with a felt-like exterior that zips up and 3 different sized tips to help fit your ears....
Brainwavz HM9 is a portable / foldable, super comfortable headphone priced at $150 USD ($119 at the time of writting on Amazon) that surely grabs attention including mine, with it's stylish...
Ok guys, here's my take on the SennGrados... First of all, I would like to mention that these are not my personal cans, they are on loan to me as part of a tour that's spreading the word on...
I bought these after someone described them as his "desert island headphones" in the annual Head-Fi Gift Guide about 2 years ago. I was looking for something to wear at my desk in an open office...
iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
Gear mentioned in this thread:
My Wife got a 5C and i compared the headphone out across an iPhone 5, iPod Touch 5th gen and an iPad 4th Gen and i can say that i was very impressed by the 5C output, so much so i've sold all those devices and bought myself a 5C. I don't know what apple done with the circuit or the DAC but it sounds fantastic and the volume level is enough to drive my Philips L1 and my earphones. iTunes never sounded so good. Just my 2 cents.
+ Clear sound stage with plenty of detail
+ Muffled sound of iPhone 5 is gone
+ Clean bass, mids and treble
- Non so far
Edited by gadgetheaven - 9/24/13 at 3:27am
I've no idea about HiRes, but i am finding the stock 256K iTunes Plus downloads sound great with plenty of dynamics and sound stage on the new 5C. Head Fiers should go to their local Apple store for an audition. I have no idea why they don't promote sound upgrade as a feature of the new phones.
Can you say that the 5C's volume output is similar if not better than the 4S or 4 (if you tried one)?
I never tried my wifes 4S, its gone already. best bet is an audition at apple store. I think they done a great job on the audio of 5C. Now if they can fix the glitches in iOS 7 then for me its a phone that does it all.
I sold the iPhone 5 to keep my 4S because of the lower volume. I can't fathom that a newer device has less output power than the older one.
Hence may be 5c/5s are back on track in the output power regard.
The 5c should just be a regular 5 with a plastic back, according to all the tech blogs I've read. Rudi and a few other head-fiers have mentioned better sound on the 5 after installing iOS7. I didn't really pay attention when I updated, as I already liked the 5 and was mainly focusing on the CCK and external DAC compatibility update with iOS7.
iPhone 5: Apple 338S1117
iPhone 5C: Apple 338S1116
iPhone 5S: Apple 338S1216
But, here's an update on the 5S from Chipworks:
As we mentioned earlier, we’re seeing a lot of familiar components inside the iPhone 5s. The major standouts being the new A7 processor and two new MEMS devices. We are also seeing a new power management IC by Dialog Semiconductor and a new audio codec and class D amplifier by Cirrus Logic. The Power Management IC by Dialog Semiconductor has the part number 338S1216-A2. The new parts by Cirrus are numbered as 338S1202 for the Class D audio amplifier and 338S1201 for the Audio Codec. Note that the audio codec is ~30% smaller than the codec inside the iPhone 5.
Audio Codec: 338S1201
Class D Amplifier: 338S1202
I'm guessing an Audio Codec is a more all encompassing audio chip solution that includes a DAC?
Also of note is that the much lauded iPod Touch 5G used the same 338S1117 chip as the much panned iPhone 5, IIRC. I would guess then that the magic sauce was in the amp.
I am kind of curious about the 30% smaller but though. Anyone who wants to take a guess can try Cirrus Logic's low power product section.
I actually have a 5S sitting on my desk, never turned on because I'm waiting for a case to come in tomorrow. I would normally be astounded at my willpower but it's been kind of nice not having cellphone reception for one and a half days.
I did hear it at the store for like half an hour and I feel like there may have been a blacker background and less harshness than on my 4S. Take this with a commercial mound of salt because I didn't have one song that was the same as on the store demo model and it was in the middle of Grand Central Terminal.
- iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
- › [NEW] FiiO E11K Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early... 13 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 39 seconds ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 57 seconds ago
- › DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way... 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 3 minutes ago
- › What is the special sauce behind the Chord Hugo? 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 4 minutes ago
- › WTB: Burson Audio HA-160DS 5 minutes ago
- › Double Helix Cables Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Pioneer MASTER-1s by kuantings
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 by RubxQub
- › Brainwavz HM9 Hi-Fi Noise Isolating Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by wormsdriver
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by trevorburnham
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › HeadRoom Little With More Power Supply by Mshenay
- › beyerdynamic T50p by gotak
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by Tom22
- › Sennheiser HD 220 Originals Closed Back On-the-Ear Stereo Headphone... by palinetes
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)