- 9 Posts. Joined 7/2005
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best iPhone 5S case Last post on 12/1/13 at 4:52pm in Portable Source Gear
- Please suggest gift for my bass player son Last post on 11/24/13 at 7:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Lightning camera connection kit is now supported on iPhone 5s Last post on 11/11/13 at 11:45pm in Portable Source Gear
- In car audio over USB, what protocol(s)? Last post on 11/13/13 at 9:02pm in Computer Audio
- Iphone 5C/S sound quality and best sounding small smart phone Last post on 11/11/13 at 10:10am in Portable Source Gear
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Sound Quality Straight out of the box, it sounded great, pretty much like the original CAL!. I’ve done over 100 hours of burn-in. DAC is FiiO E10. As I mentioned in one of the posts, it reminded...
The smallest, toughest, yet great sounding player you can buy. Though that really depends on your luck, but it can be found for as low as 20 euros on eBay, other classifieds, or your local...
My audio chain is MP3@320 or FLAC > HiFimeDIY USB Isolator > HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 > Fiio 6" cable > Objective2 w/ 16v 400mA adapter > M-Audio Q40. There isn't much I have to add to other...
My audio chain is MP3@320 or FLAC > HiFimeDIY USB Isolator > HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 > Fiio 6" cable > Objective2 w/ 16v 400mA adapter > SR950. The SR950s are fairly detailed headphones possessing a...
My audio chain is MP3@320 or FLAC > HiFimeDIY USB Isolator > HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 > Fiio 6" cable > Objective2 w/ 16v 400mA adapter > HPH-200. If you are looking for a ~$100 on ear open can that...
iPhone 5C and 5S: audio outputpost #1 of 2329/24/13 at 2:29amThread StarterFor those who have one of these iPhones, how's the sound quality through the headphone out? Does it still have a lower volume output (like the 5) than the 4 or 4s?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 2329/24/13 at 3:16am
My Wife got a 5C and i compared the headphone out across an iPhone 5, iPod Touch 5th gen and an iPad 4th Gen and i can say that i was very impressed by the 5C output, so much so i've sold all those devices and bought myself a 5C. I don't know what apple done with the circuit or the DAC but it sounds fantastic and the volume level is enough to drive my Philips L1 and my earphones. iTunes never sounded so good. Just my 2 cents.
+ Clear sound stage with plenty of detail
+ Muffled sound of iPhone 5 is gone
+ Clean bass, mids and treble
- Non so far
Edited by gadgetheaven - 9/24/13 at 3:27ampost #3 of 2329/24/13 at 3:27ampost #4 of 2329/24/13 at 3:31am
I've no idea about HiRes, but i am finding the stock 256K iTunes Plus downloads sound great with plenty of dynamics and sound stage on the new 5C. Head Fiers should go to their local Apple store for an audition. I have no idea why they don't promote sound upgrade as a feature of the new phones.post #5 of 2329/24/13 at 3:51amThread StarterThat's great. Maybe since this is the closest to a new music device (no new iPod touch) they'll launch this year, Apple improved the 5C's audio.
Can you say that the 5C's volume output is similar if not better than the 4S or 4 (if you tried one)?post #6 of 2329/24/13 at 4:05am
I never tried my wifes 4S, its gone already. best bet is an audition at apple store. I think they done a great job on the audio of 5C. Now if they can fix the glitches in iOS 7 then for me its a phone that does it all.post #7 of 2329/24/13 at 6:30am
I sold the iPhone 5 to keep my 4S because of the lower volume. I can't fathom that a newer device has less output power than the older one.
Hence may be 5c/5s are back on track in the output power regard.post #8 of 2329/24/13 at 11:32ampost #9 of 2329/24/13 at 7:03pm
The 5c should just be a regular 5 with a plastic back, according to all the tech blogs I've read. Rudi and a few other head-fiers have mentioned better sound on the 5 after installing iOS7. I didn't really pay attention when I updated, as I already liked the 5 and was mainly focusing on the CCK and external DAC compatibility update with iOS7.post #10 of 2329/24/13 at 8:30pmpost #11 of 2329/25/13 at 2:53ampost #12 of 2329/25/13 at 3:02amThread StarterJakkal may be referring to the iFixit teardowns:
iPhone 5: Apple 338S1117
iPhone 5C: Apple 338S1116
iPhone 5S: Apple 338S1216
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+5s+Teardown/17383/2post #13 of 2329/25/13 at 5:55ampost #14 of 2329/25/13 at 6:14ampost #15 of 2329/25/13 at 8:19am^ Apple has a branding agreement with CS to not label the chips so it'll be a best guess by anybody.
But, here's an update on the 5S from Chipworks:
As we mentioned earlier, we’re seeing a lot of familiar components inside the iPhone 5s. The major standouts being the new A7 processor and two new MEMS devices. We are also seeing a new power management IC by Dialog Semiconductor and a new audio codec and class D amplifier by Cirrus Logic. The Power Management IC by Dialog Semiconductor has the part number 338S1216-A2. The new parts by Cirrus are numbered as 338S1202 for the Class D audio amplifier and 338S1201 for the Audio Codec. Note that the audio codec is ~30% smaller than the codec inside the iPhone 5.
Audio Codec: 338S1201
Class D Amplifier: 338S1202
I'm guessing an Audio Codec is a more all encompassing audio chip solution that includes a DAC?
Also of note is that the much lauded iPod Touch 5G used the same 338S1117 chip as the much panned iPhone 5, IIRC. I would guess then that the magic sauce was in the amp.
I am kind of curious about the 30% smaller but though. Anyone who wants to take a guess can try Cirrus Logic's low power product section.
I actually have a 5S sitting on my desk, never turned on because I'm waiting for a case to come in tomorrow. I would normally be astounded at my willpower but it's been kind of nice not having cellphone reception for one and a half days.
I did hear it at the store for like half an hour and I feel like there may have been a blacker background and less harshness than on my 4S. Take this with a commercial mound of salt because I didn't have one song that was the same as on the store demo model and it was in the middle of Grand Central Terminal.
- iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Audeze LCD-X 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade 5 minutes ago
- › Need buying advice about these bass-heavy headphones!! 5 minutes ago
- › FS/FT Clear out! Only Eterna V1 left! Give it a home! 5 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-900 - Dunu's Dual Hybrid IEM - Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB: New 4-BA IEM From Germany 7 minutes ago
- › Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone? 7 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 8 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by kingpage
- › Sony NWZ-A818 8GB by stuartfang
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by adevriesc
- › Samson SR950 by adevriesc
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by adevriesc
- › Skullcandy INK'D Earbuds (Green) by Bassbanger101
- › Q-Audio French Silk Cable by WNBC
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by boombox589
- › Audio-gd Master 9 Preamp & Headphone amp by staalf
- › Sennheiser Momentum by commodent
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi