- 9 Posts. Joined 7/2005
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- which iphone has the best audio quality? Last post on 3/9/14 at 4:44pm in Portable Source Gear
- which iphone has the best audio quality (mod, please delete, wrong forum) Last post on 3/9/14 at 4:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- AMP/DAC Advice for iDevices Last post on 3/10/14 at 9:59pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- iPad/iPhone Dock Search Last post on 3/7/14 at 10:30pm in Portable Source Gear
- Mac Mini: HDMI Video with USB audio? Last post on 3/10/14 at 8:15am in Computer Audio
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Summary: These headphones give an accurate picture of what the producers had in mind when they mixed their music because they have a well-balanced, present, but not over-powering bass. Songs...
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
iPhone 5C and 5S: audio outputpost #1 of 3009/24/13 at 2:29amThread StarterFor those who have one of these iPhones, how's the sound quality through the headphone out? Does it still have a lower volume output (like the 5) than the 4 or 4s?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 3009/24/13 at 3:16am
My Wife got a 5C and i compared the headphone out across an iPhone 5, iPod Touch 5th gen and an iPad 4th Gen and i can say that i was very impressed by the 5C output, so much so i've sold all those devices and bought myself a 5C. I don't know what apple done with the circuit or the DAC but it sounds fantastic and the volume level is enough to drive my Philips L1 and my earphones. iTunes never sounded so good. Just my 2 cents.
+ Clear sound stage with plenty of detail
+ Muffled sound of iPhone 5 is gone
+ Clean bass, mids and treble
- Non so far
Edited by gadgetheaven - 9/24/13 at 3:27ampost #3 of 3009/24/13 at 3:27ampost #4 of 3009/24/13 at 3:31am
I've no idea about HiRes, but i am finding the stock 256K iTunes Plus downloads sound great with plenty of dynamics and sound stage on the new 5C. Head Fiers should go to their local Apple store for an audition. I have no idea why they don't promote sound upgrade as a feature of the new phones.post #5 of 3009/24/13 at 3:51amThread StarterThat's great. Maybe since this is the closest to a new music device (no new iPod touch) they'll launch this year, Apple improved the 5C's audio.
Can you say that the 5C's volume output is similar if not better than the 4S or 4 (if you tried one)?post #6 of 3009/24/13 at 4:05am
I never tried my wifes 4S, its gone already. best bet is an audition at apple store. I think they done a great job on the audio of 5C. Now if they can fix the glitches in iOS 7 then for me its a phone that does it all.post #7 of 3009/24/13 at 6:30am
I sold the iPhone 5 to keep my 4S because of the lower volume. I can't fathom that a newer device has less output power than the older one.
Hence may be 5c/5s are back on track in the output power regard.post #8 of 3009/24/13 at 11:32ampost #9 of 3009/24/13 at 7:03pm
The 5c should just be a regular 5 with a plastic back, according to all the tech blogs I've read. Rudi and a few other head-fiers have mentioned better sound on the 5 after installing iOS7. I didn't really pay attention when I updated, as I already liked the 5 and was mainly focusing on the CCK and external DAC compatibility update with iOS7.post #10 of 3009/24/13 at 8:30pmpost #11 of 3009/25/13 at 2:53ampost #12 of 3009/25/13 at 3:02amThread StarterJakkal may be referring to the iFixit teardowns:
iPhone 5: Apple 338S1117
iPhone 5C: Apple 338S1116
iPhone 5S: Apple 338S1216
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+5s+Teardown/17383/2post #13 of 3009/25/13 at 5:55ampost #14 of 3009/25/13 at 6:14ampost #15 of 3009/25/13 at 8:19am^ Apple has a branding agreement with CS to not label the chips so it'll be a best guess by anybody.
But, here's an update on the 5S from Chipworks:
As we mentioned earlier, we’re seeing a lot of familiar components inside the iPhone 5s. The major standouts being the new A7 processor and two new MEMS devices. We are also seeing a new power management IC by Dialog Semiconductor and a new audio codec and class D amplifier by Cirrus Logic. The Power Management IC by Dialog Semiconductor has the part number 338S1216-A2. The new parts by Cirrus are numbered as 338S1202 for the Class D audio amplifier and 338S1201 for the Audio Codec. Note that the audio codec is ~30% smaller than the codec inside the iPhone 5.
Audio Codec: 338S1201
Class D Amplifier: 338S1202
I'm guessing an Audio Codec is a more all encompassing audio chip solution that includes a DAC?
Also of note is that the much lauded iPod Touch 5G used the same 338S1117 chip as the much panned iPhone 5, IIRC. I would guess then that the magic sauce was in the amp.
I am kind of curious about the 30% smaller but though. Anyone who wants to take a guess can try Cirrus Logic's low power product section.
I actually have a 5S sitting on my desk, never turned on because I'm waiting for a case to come in tomorrow. I would normally be astounded at my willpower but it's been kind of nice not having cellphone reception for one and a half days.
I did hear it at the store for like half an hour and I feel like there may have been a blacker background and less harshness than on my 4S. Take this with a commercial mound of salt because I didn't have one song that was the same as on the store demo model and it was in the middle of Grand Central Terminal.
- iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Somic EFi-82 MT: Believe the Hype 4 seconds ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 16 seconds ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 1 minute ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 1 minute ago
- › UM Mentor, 1964 Ears V6 Stage, Fischer Amps FA-4 1 minute ago
- › PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like... 1 minute ago
- › The Basshead Club 1 minute ago
- › WTB: Schiit Gungnir or Bifrost 2 minutes ago
- › How can you tell the size of your ears for iems ? 2 minutes ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by aeromaniac
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude