iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Nov 20, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #556 of 1,973

I stuck with the stock medium black foam and never removed them because they fit me perfectly.

In a few years working out with iems i have had just 2 bad experiences and both happened with Olives. They absorb the sweat hence they will actually work as spounges when you press them so if you make the common mistake of taking out an iem (to listen to the missus in my case) and reinserting it straight away the olives may pour all the sweat on the acoustic damper. In 2013 that knocked out for a couple of days my right  westone UM3x (It dried and worked again) and this summer  it ruined the right acoustic damper of my TDK BA200 (which i had to take out and replace. It was an enlightening incident though cause i used 1500Ohms dampers instead of the stock 2200Ohms and the tonal balance has shifted from warm to neutral with the spark in treble that i missed on the stock setup).

On the other hand i worked out for 6 months with Shure SE215 and olives and i had no incident but then again i did not make the mistake of taking out and reinserting.BTW the SE215 was a great companion for the gym thanks to its warm yet clear sound and awesome build quality. Had i no stumbled upon the TDK BA200 i would still use it.

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #557 of 1,973
Thanks Elfary. In my case i found the medium silicone tips of Shure SE215 not facing this sweat absorbance matter, as well as giving nice overall sound, i could say almost same with the olive tips. The silicone tips of Shure are much better IMO than other brands’ silicone and they do not tend to fall out of my ear.

Nov 20, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #558 of 1,973
I've experienced for the first time a very good fit with the Westone stock "star" silicone sleeves. Very good isolation and very comfortable. Unlike the Comply tips and olive tips that get quite itchy after a few hours. I've actually used my Westone UM Pro50 on 2  long haul flights of 12 hrs plus with the star silicone sleeves and never even took them out. The olive and comply tips also sounded too muddy compared to the star silicone sleeves. They also don't soak up sweat when working out. They even fit my Shure 315...
which in the end I made customer earmolds for...
Looking forward to the 6plus with my Um Pro50.

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #559 of 1,973
  As an european user of an american (uncapped) iPhone 5s wanna share a short story that might help others:

Last Sunday morning my iPhone 5s 64gb (US Model A1533 GSM) experienced a loss of sensivity on a part of the screen.

Restoring did not solve the issue so rushed to an Apple Store in the afternoon.

They serviced the A1533 iPhone by swapping the screen several times. Issue remained so...

...they told me that they would swap the iPhone under warranty but since they didn't have A1533 iPhones (or any other non european iPhone) they would ask for it and ring me back when it arrived.

Early Tuesday morning (barely 40 hours after leaving the store) the manager rings me: my brand new US A1533 iPhone 5s 64Gb has arrived in store. Rushed there. Thus in less than 48 hours i got a brand new AMERICAN (non capped) iPhone from my local (EUROPEAN) Apple Store. All covered by the warranty. I just spent the gas to get there.

Bottom line: it's pefectly feasible to live in Europe with an US iPhone both from an operational and from an aftersales support points of view. Hence it's possible to enjoy the whole volt fromt headphone out instead of the crippled amp we are served in Europe thanks to dumb politicans.

My kudos to Apple for such a 1st class replacement. After 6 years not that i was thinking in leaving the brand but certainly that brand has impressed me.

How did that happen to your iPhone? I got a little worried after that post of yours, since i’ve got the exact same iPhone. Is it a common issue to this model? Was it a faulty device or you just dropped it accidentally? My previous iPhone 5 was a really hard one, dropped down, sat upon without any problem or damage. Is 5s A1533 3pin US a more delicate device? What do you believe?

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #560 of 1,973

How did that happen to your iPhone? I got a little worried after that post of yours, since i’ve got the exact same iPhone. Is it a common issue to this model? Was it a faulty device or you just dropped it accidentally? My previous iPhone 5 was a really hard one, dropped down, sat upon without any problem or damage. Is 5s A1533 3pin US a more delicate device? What do you believe?

My 5s A1533 was 3 monts old and it never fell or got wet. Just out of the blue the touch control on the middle of the screen gave up the ghost and at the Apple Store they could not fix it by replacing the screen thus they arranged the delivery of a new unit of that A1533 US model not crippled by EU volume limits. It took under 48 hours.

Don't think you can infer a trend just by one isolated failure. It has been my first ever malfunction of an apple device in many years thus i still trust that brand.

New one is running great and on 7.1.2 (Which was a bonus since iOS 8 is still a bit rough around the edges to my taste)

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #561 of 1,973
I just received my iPhone 6 Plus a couple of days ago and am really happy with it.

It's totally the best iPhone I've had to date! :)

As for sound quality, I can't really fault it tbh but I'm new to the audiophile world so can't really give an in-depth review.

But it sounds very clear and to me is a lot of fun :)

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #562 of 1,973
I just received my iPhone 6 Plus a couple of days ago and am really happy with it.

It's totally the best iPhone I've had to date!
smily_headphones1.gif

As for sound quality, I can't really fault it tbh but I'm new to the audiophile world so can't really give an in-depth review.

But it sounds very clear and to me is a lot of fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course it's the best iPhone to date (why would Apple release something inferior to the previous generation?), but is it the best smartphone to date? (no flame wars pl0x 
wink.gif
)
Keep in mind that Head-fi =\= audiophile but audiophile(usually)=Head-fi.  If you get what I mean.  I see people incorrectly throwing the term audiophile around all over the place and I try to correct them if I can.
You say that you're new to the head-fi world and you joined today yet you have an HD800 and a HiFi-M8?  
confused.gif
  A bit high end for a beginner, don't you think?(not insulting your decisions, just doesn't make any sense to me that you would have such high end stuff if you just started out)
Glad to hear that it sounds nice!

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #563 of 1,973

You say that you're new to the head-fi world and you joined today yet you have an HD800 and a HiFi-M8?  
confused.gif
  A bit high end for a beginner, don't you think?(not insulting your decisions, just doesn't make any sense to me that you would have such high end stuff if you just started out)

Don't doubt the rich :)

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #564 of 1,973

Don't doubt the rich :)

I'm pretty sure rich people who get into the headphone hobby stop being rich pretty fast. >.<

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #566 of 1,973
Of course it's the best iPhone to date (why would Apple release something inferior to the previous generation?), but is it the best smartphone to date? (no flame wars pl0x :wink: )
Keep in mind that Head-fi =\= audiophile but audiophile(usually)=Head-fi.  If you get what I mean.  I see people incorrectly throwing the term audiophile around all over the place and I try to correct them if I can.
You say that you're new to the head-fi world and you joined today yet you have an HD800 and a HiFi-M8?  :confused:   A bit high end for a beginner, don't you think?(not insulting your decisions, just doesn't make any sense to me that you would have such high end stuff if you just started out)
Glad to hear that it sounds nice!

Yeah, I guess I stated the obvious by saying the iPhone 6 Plus is best I've owned to date, totally :)

I actually got into audiophile/head-Fi by accident really as I mentioned to my parents that I'd like a pair of really good headphones, then my dad bought me the hd800's as a gift then later the amp device after I learned they needed such for them to work properly, so I had a learning curve from that point I guess.

But I can say the hd800 headphones are quite excellent (sorry but I can't give a detailed audiophile reply yet) but I've read some regard these headphones as maybe the best available? So regardless, I think I'm lucky to use these headphones and to have found head-fi too :)

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #567 of 1,973
Yeah, I guess I stated the obvious by saying the iPhone 6 Plus is best I've owned to date, totally
smily_headphones1.gif

I actually got into audiophile/head-Fi by accident really as I mentioned to my parents that I'd like a pair of really good headphones, then my dad bought me the hd800's as a gift then later the amp device after I learned they needed such for them to work properly, so I had a learning curve from that point I guess.

But I can say the hd800 headphones are quite excellent (sorry but I can't give a detailed audiophile reply yet) but I've read some regard these headphones as maybe the best available? So regardless, I think I'm lucky to use these headphones and to have found head-fi too
smily_headphones1.gif

All that matters is that you're happy with your setup and since that seems to be the case, gratz.
The problem with just getting a summit-fi pair of headphones when you're beginning is that you don't know if you'll like them or not.  If you blow that much cash on a pair if headphones you don't like, then that's a problem.  There also might be other headphones better suited to your audio tastes, for example, if you like bass, then the HD800's are probably not for you and the Fostex TH900's would be a better fit.
And of course, the B34t5 Pr0 is best headphone ever made bar none.  Much better sq and build quality than the Orpheus, Staz SR-009, Sony MDR-R10, etc.

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #568 of 1,973
All that matters is that you're happy with your setup and since that seems to be the case, gratz.
The problem with just getting a summit-fi pair of headphones when you're beginning is that you don't know if you'll like them or not.  If you blow that much cash on a pair if headphones you don't like, then that's a problem.  There also might be other headphones better suited to your audio tastes, for example, if you like bass, then the HD800's are probably not for you and the Fostex TH900's would be a better fit.

Yeah, I guess I haven't thought of it that way, but my hd800's were a gift, so I was not really involved in the choice dept, just my dad told me they were like "the best" so I'm guessing he just googled "best headphones" or something and went with that though he didn't realise an amplifier was required until I found out after.

But I think the hd800's are really good for music like Diana Krall, strong vocals and pop which is a good thing for my tastes I guess, but you are right in commenting I've no reference point for comparison and have never heard of Fostex 900 headphones before.

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #569 of 1,973

Again, highly disagree. No one's denying how awesome an iPhone is with what can it do, but strictly talking about audio quality, that's a huge stretch. Not enough drive or clocking alone is enough to knock off iPhone from a high end contender. Still love my 6+, favourite to date.

Bull...crap.

"TOTL" DAC/DAPs are the biggest rip off since hd-vision glasses. And also, your previous cost calculations are pretty skewed. The iPhone 6+ as an audio player doesn't cost $1080. There's like $30 worth of audio components. Throw in a some NAND, a SoC, a chassis, a display, and a wifi radio, and voila', that's an iPod Touch. Apple's BOM on that is like $130-150. So again, why does an AK240 cost $2500? Because there's fools willing to pay that price. The same folks who believe that high-res files sound better than 16/44, even though we've been on 16/44 for over 30 years and we've had more than enough storage and bandwidth to accommodate high-res audio for over 10 years now. 

And yet it hasn't picked up. Hmm...

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #570 of 1,973

Bull...crap.

"TOTL" DAC/DAPs are the biggest rip off since hd-vision glasses.

See, that's why I wear 3-D glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back