iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Nov 16, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #526 of 1,973
Yes, as a matter of fact I have. I make a living writing complex real-time financial market software that runs on Windows. 

Can you help me with my iOS bluetooth problem -- it's inability to manage separate channels for phone and A2DP? I would be thrilled if you could! 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #527 of 1,973
  Yes, as a matter of fact I have. I make a living writing complex real-time financial market software that runs on Windows. 

Can you help me with my iOS bluetooth problem -- it's inability to manage separate channels for phone and A2DP? I would be thrilled if you could! 
rolleyes.gif

It would seem that he's a troll.  Judging from his post, he's definitely trying to incite some form of reaction.  I mean seriously, read this bs one more time:
Have you ever tried to make complicated-creative work, using any software, on a PC? For example to compose and produce music on a PC vs Mac? On PC its the worst joke of all!!! I am not talking connecting BT here, but to try and work seriously on a PC? It is just impossible. Mac is better machine, period. I do not write something just by hearing other people’s opinions. I certainly speak out of my own experience...

And iTunes on Mac is just perfect. At the bottom line it was created for Mac. They just applied on PC in order to increase iTunes store sales...

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #528 of 1,973
What 30 pin to male stereo RCA cable do you recommend? I have seen prices ranging from $3 to $70 (audioquest). Does it matter? This would be hooking up to a little dot mkiii.  

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #529 of 1,973
  What 30 pin to male stereo RCA cable do you recommend? I have seen prices ranging from $3 to $70 (audioquest). Does it matter? This would be hooking up to a little dot mkiii.  

You can try for the cheapest ($3 as you quoted), but it may or may not work to your expectations, or purchase Apple's own 30 pin to RCA/Composite cable: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC748ZM/A/apple-composite-av-cable, as this will result in one less troubleshooting point (if the cable works like it should) in case any connectivity issue arises.

This one: http://www.amazon.com/Ziotek-ZT1900663HC1-1-Feet-30Pin-Stereo/dp/B0051MQIWQ seems to have stellar reviews (185 reviews, 4.6 out of 5 stars), so this cable is an option as well if you want something more budget friendly ($12.99 USD).

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #531 of 1,973
  What are the options for line out from the lightning cable?  So far all I know of is to go from lightning to 30 pin adapter to the devices referenced directly above.  Seems a bit cumbersome.

That is the only option I know off as well. 

You can try for the cheapest ($3 as you quoted), but it may or may not work to your expectations, or purchase Apple's own 30 pin to RCA/Composite cable: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC748ZM/A/apple-composite-av-cable, as this will result in one less troubleshooting point (if the cable works like it should) in case any connectivity issue arises.

This one: http://www.amazon.com/Ziotek-ZT1900663HC1-1-Feet-30Pin-Stereo/dp/B0051MQIWQ seems to have stellar reviews (185 reviews, 4.6 out of 5 stars), so this cable is an option as well if you want something more budget friendly ($12.99 USD).

Technically, would better cables be better at carry the analog signal in this situation? Or does it not really matter in this case..

Nov 17, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #533 of 1,973

...Technically, would better cables be better at carry the analog signal in this situation? Or does it not really matter in this case..

This is a super-loaded question, and there are essays, dissertations, and debates regarding cables, signal carrying speed, length of cable degrading signal quality, the list goes on, and on...and on.  In my experienced opinion (regarding cables similar to this), as long as you do not have any signal cut-outs, you'll be fine with getting one that you know will be of acceptable quality, like the Apple cables.

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #534 of 1,973
  Have you ever tried to make complicated-creative work, using any software, on a PC? For example to compose and produce music on a PC vs Mac? On PC its the worst joke of all!!! I am not talking connecting BT here, but to try and work seriously on a PC? It is just impossible. Mac is better machine, period. I do not write something just by hearing other people’s opinions. I certainly speak out of my own experience...

And iTunes on Mac is just perfect. At the bottom line it was created for Mac. They just applied on PC in order to increase iTunes store sales...

You must be kidding. I would agree Apple is better for music production, but that's only because Mac OS X supports native high res audio whereas Windows doesn't. That said, there's a lot of demand for native (driverless) high res audio in Windows 10, so there will be no difference by then.

In other areas of work, Windows and even Linux are far better. Windows is used in workstation computers. Linux mostly in managing servers. It's because Windows is a lot more flexible so can suit the needs of companies more easily. Apart from advertising companies where appearing cool is everything, 95% of business space use Windows. Simply because it's better, more reliable and more flexible. Database management, network management, all kinds of office products are just much better at Windows. Mac OS X doesn't even have a decent Office program, MS Office for Mac is a joke (an intended joke by MS), and Apple's own office programs are no more useful than Wordpad.

I've worked in finance for the last 5 years, am now a senior banking examiner, auditing banks on behalf of the government. I used all kinds of computers you can think of in that period, including Mac. iOS is better than its competitors but Windows is the king in work environment. You've obviously only used consumer products, try using a professional computer such as Dell Latitude series.

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #535 of 1,973
Finally got my iPhone 6 Plus 128 GB version. It's been fun comparing the headphone output of different Apple products over the years:

- 2009 iMac 27"
- iPod Touch 3rd generation
- iPod Touch 4th generation
- iPad 4th generation
- 2010 Macbook Pro 15"
- 2012 Retina Macbook Pro 15"
- and now the iPhone 6 Plus with perhaps an incoming iPad Air

Currently have been using Spotify on Extreme settings, ALAC and MP3 320 on the stock music app and Onkyo app (HF or something like that). Had to restore my phone the after setting it all up because I had it in sync with iTunes and then after syncing completed, I went back and added artwork to a lot of the folders. It was pretty much stuck and I couldn't delete music from either iTunes or via the iPhone. So now back to the old manual drag and drop. Besides that, can't complain about the phone.

I was also pleased by the EarPods. This was the first time I've heard them and they were noticeably better in sound and fit over the previous earbuds that came with the iPods listed above.

Before I get into other apps like Neutron, I'm trying to get a wireless streaming system going. Maybe Airplay to Apple TV. Although I am concerned about the forced up sampling to 48 kHz and how it will affect sound. There's also Airport express, minus any video capabilities. Still have to worry about jitter and clocking, though I'm glad they finally introduced peer to peer.

Anyone here try Airplaying music to Apple Tv and then to a DAC?

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #536 of 1,973
IMHO, the best streaming deal is Spotify Connect -- provided you have a receiver that supports it. It works like Chromecast -- music does not flow into phone and then out to receiver. So phone does not have battery or heat issues. And what is different than Chromecast is there is no loss in quality.

I tried airplay using Tidal to my Yamaha receiver and it works pretty well with Iphone 6. I have not tried Apple TV and can't comment on it.

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #537 of 1,973
you might want to try out Tidal HIFI as it does a very nice job of streaming FLAC and it does support Airplay to Apple TV...   they have a free tryout if you want to play with it.

also as mentioned a couple of times the Iphone6 Plus mates up quite well with the ifi iDSD micro for playback..   for those I like to use the Onkyo player...  the micro is also a great
desktop DAC/AMP too....

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #538 of 1,973
What budget desktop DAC would you recommend that is better than the iPad Air 2 (30 lightning adapter) and iPhone 4s DAC? I am looking for something reasonably priced (used is okay) that would be noticeably better.

This would be paired with Grado sr325i, Beyer 770 Premium 600 ohm, and possibly AKG 712 PRO and a little dot MK III and little dot i+

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #539 of 1,973
Ken Rockwell measured the 6 Plus. He's thrilled:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm

Ftr the cables he uses to measure output impedance add 0'8 ohms to real z (judging from his Touch 5 measurement).

Running seems like a great idea until you actually start running

Nov 19, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #540 of 1,973
Ken Rockwell measured the 6 Plus. He's thrilled:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm

Ftr the cables he uses to measure output impedance add 0'8 ohms to real z (judging from his Touch 5 measurement).

Running is a great idea

I'm sorry, but the review is just so very cliché.  Sounds exactly like how an Apple fanboy reacts to every iPhone, praising it on every aspect and not discussing any negatives.  I'm not bashing on the iPhone 6 or Ken, just saying.  I doubt that it sounds as good as the ~$2,000 DAC's he's listed, but then again, I haven't hear either and it would be a very nice surprise.
I also notice how he hasn't reviewed any Android phones.  Not saying it's a bad thing with him fully invested in the Apple ecosystem, but sorta makes me wonder if he's really used any flagship Android devices and compared them to the iPhone 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back