iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Nov 12, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #496 of 1,973
I am playing the 6 plug without any eq. Typically I use the line out to the car auxiliary.

One thing I am observing is that the bass output seems to be much greater compared with my older iphone 5 also using the line out. I can't recall ever turning the bass down; typically I play everything flat or plus one or two on the bass. With this unit I actually have had to turn the bass below the zero set point. That is a first for me. I am typically a "straight wire with gain" kind of listener.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #497 of 1,973
I am playing the 6 plug without any eq. Typically I use the line out to the car auxiliary.

One thing I am observing is that the bass output seems to be much greater compared with my older iphone 5 also using the line out. I can't recall ever turning the bass down; typically I play everything flat or plus one or two on the bass. With this unit I actually have had to turn the bass below the zero set point. That is a first for me. I am typically a "straight wire with gain" kind of listener.

On my listening sessions i noticed out off the bat that iPhone 6 bass is overemphasized compared with the 5s and that behaviour is even more noticeable on the 6 Plus. Hence your assessment does not catch me off guard.

Running seems like a great idea until you actually start running

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #499 of 1,973
So I am little confused. I have an iPad Air 2 what I want to use as my source (it will be streaming ALAC from Plex). I have a little dot mkiii on its way but i am confused on how to hook this up via line-out. This would be a desktop solution. If I understand this correctly I have 3 options:

1. Headphone out
2. Lightning 30-pin adapter with built-in wolfston dac to two RCA cables
3. Lighting to USB adapter which would need to connect to a dac

Given the price of the adapter, is there a DAC I could purchase that would perform better for under $100 used?

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #500 of 1,973
  Has anyone finally measured the ausgangsimpedance from iphone 6?
at least i wanna know if it is higher or lower than dhe 5s (=2.3Ohm).

Mates of mine are putting together a thorough review of the iPhone 6 for their blog. Hence in a few days the output impedance will be known. Already there are a few daps measurements making for a very interesting read:

http://headphoniaks.com/blog/

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #501 of 1,973
I will ask again. does anyone know if the iPhone 6 Plus uses the same DAC and Amp as the iPhone 6? No?

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #502 of 1,973
I will ask again. does anyone know if the iPhone 6 Plus uses the same DAC and Amp as the iPhone 6? No?

6 and 6+ use the same dac chip. Don't know about the amp but should be the same.

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #503 of 1,973
6 and 6+ use the same dac chip. Don't know about the amp but should be the same.

I am very happy with the SQ on my iPhone 6 Plus but it's strange how What Hi-FI say the iPhone 6 Plus SQ is muffled and slow compared to the iPhone 6 considering they both use the same DAC.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #504 of 1,973
I am very happy with the SQ on my iPhone 6 Plus but it's strange how What Hi-FI say the iPhone 6 Plus SQ is muffled and slow compared to the iPhone 6 considering they both use the same DAC.

My observation about many reviews is that the author is paid about 10 cents per word.  So that is often the motivation not "the facts" .  Just sayin

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #505 of 1,973
Here's the DAC comparison taken from ifixit website (credits where credits are due)

iPhone 6+:
  1. Cirrus Logic 338S1201 Audio Codec (blue square)
  2. https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+6+Plus+Teardown/29206

4. iPhone 6:
  5. Cirrus Logic 338S1201 Audio Codec (blue square)
  6. https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+6+Teardown/29213
  7. The only difference I spotted is the NAND flash from Skhynix on the 6+ vs Sandisk on the 6, which is the big grey rectangle in the middle... 
  8. Perhaps someone can figure out what amp is used?

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #506 of 1,973
Can anyone suggest any other apps for listening to music files stored on my iPhone 6 other than the stock Music app ? I think Neutron was suggested. Any others ?

I still prefer the sound of my iPhone 5 to my 6 and this may help me find a workaround. I like a flat frequency response and the 5 was very flat by default ie. Even with EQ set to off. If you did set it to flat , there was no perceivable difference. I have set my iPhone 6 to flat and it sounds better to me than iPhone 6-EQ off. But the iPhone 5 still sounds better to me than the iPhone 6-with-EQ-flat.

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #507 of 1,973
I'm testing out the audio quality playing flac (including hi-res flac 192kHz 24bits) on various apps:

Neutron
Accudio (by Golden Ear)
Onkyo HF Player
AmpliFlac(HD)
Flac Player+
Cappriccio Free Ultimate Music Player
Flac Player Pro
Golden Ear
MyAudiostream Pro

etc

My preference goes now to Accudio and Onkyo HF Player in terms of sound quality and user interface.
Neutron sounds great too on Android phones but appears too analytical on Iphone 6 (see evaluation earlier by kelvinwsy)
However Neutron sounds warmer on iPhone 5s... YMMV

Suggest you try out what you like to see how they pair with which phone. You didn't tell us what earphones / headphones you use...

Enjoy the music ^_^

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #508 of 1,973
With Accudio you can enter the headphones you are using and the app will load a profile that will compensate the characteristics of your headphones to recreate a flat curve.
You can then finetune if you wish.... 
I'm using the Westone UM-Pro50 which isn't in their database yet but the ES5 comes close also being a 5 BA driver IEM.
Using flat EQ and HIFI preset gave me the best results, similar to what kelvinwsy experienced on his iPhone 6.

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #509 of 1,973
I'm testing out the audio quality playing flac (including hi-res flac 192kHz 24bits) on various apps:

Neutron
Accudio (by Golden Ear)
Onkyo HF Player
AmpliFlac(HD)
Flac Player+
Cappriccio Free Ultimate Music Player
Flac Player Pro
Golden Ear
MyAudiostream Pro

etc

My preference goes now to Accudio and Onkyo HF Player in terms of sound quality and user interface.
Neutron sounds great too on Android phones but appears too analytical on Iphone 6 (see evaluation earlier by kelvinwsy)
However Neutron sounds warmer on iPhone 5s... YMMV

Suggest you try out what you like to see how they pair with which phone. You didn't tell us what earphones / headphones you use...

Enjoy the music ^_^

Thank you. I have auditioned headphones in the 60-130 dollar range. I have stuck with trusty budget models both Sennheisers:

PMX80 behind head

HD205 on ear DJ style.

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #510 of 1,973
  So I am little confused. I have an iPad Air 2 what I want to use as my source (it will be streaming ALAC from Plex). I have a little dot mkiii on its way but i am confused on how to hook this up via line-out. This would be a desktop solution. If I understand this correctly I have 3 options:

1. Headphone out
2. Lightning 30-pin adapter with built-in wolfston dac to two RCA cables
3. Lighting to USB adapter which would need to connect to a dac

Given the price of the adapter, is there a DAC I could purchase that would perform better for under $100 used?

Can anyone provide some info on this? I am itching to purchase what I need

Users who are viewing this thread

Back