iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Jun 10, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #1,861 of 1,973
So, any consensus as to what the best DAC for use with the iphone 6 is? I have a Cayin c5 so I don't need an amp but I want to try a DAC for portable use. The Dragonfly red is pretty hype right now but it seems like it has an amp inside as well and it is expensive imo.

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #1,862 of 1,973
Ha, no. "Consensus" and "best" aren't anything you'll find here.

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #1,864 of 1,973
I just received the dragon fly red. Only listened to a couple of songs but sounds promising. If I feel the same after the weekend, it'll be a keeper for iem usage when I need less than 1 ohm impedance on my 6S+.

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #1,865 of 1,973
I just received the dragon fly red. Only listened to a couple of songs but sounds promising. If I feel the same after the weekend, it'll be a keeper for iem usage when I need less than 1 ohm impedance on my 6S+.

No interference from the 6S+?

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #1,867 of 1,973
  Fair enough, what would you recommend? From what I have seen there really aren't that many options.

DF Red or Mojo and never look back.

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #1,868 of 1,973
  So, any consensus as to what the best DAC for use with the iphone 6 is? I have a Cayin c5 so I don't need an amp but I want to try a DAC for portable use. The Dragonfly red is pretty hype right now but it seems like it has an amp inside as well and it is expensive imo.

Chord Mojo, Centrance Mini-M8, OPPO HA-2, etc.

Jun 12, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #1,870 of 1,973

These are all DAC/amps are there any options without an amp?

There might be (assuming there probably are) but I have no clue.

But at the same time, when you're in portable world, a DAC-only doesn't make much sense. A DAC/Amp is logical...and an Amp-only is logical...but again, not sure about a strict DAC.

Jun 12, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #1,871 of 1,973
What is this occupation that you all have found about all these bricks??? Really, it's beyond me!! Just celebrate the awesome sound quality of your iPhone and save your money!! Just plug your favorite iems straight in this unique Apple device and enjoy!!!!

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #1,872 of 1,973
What is this occupation that you all have found about all these bricks??? Really, it's beyond me!! Just celebrate the awesome sound quality of your iPhone and save your money!! Just plug your favorite iems straight in this unique Apple device and enjoy!!!!

Not everybody uses IEMs and the iPhone output, while very good indeed, doesn't have enough oomph for a lot of headphones - especially full size. Also there are gains to be had in terms of sound quality with the upper end of portable DAC/amps, such as the Mojo, even with IEMs.

Personally I tend to stick with just the iPhone (or iPod touch in my case) for listening on the move, but will add a "brick" to it when at home when I want to use my full size HPs.

Jun 12, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #1,873 of 1,973
Not everybody uses IEMs and the iPhone output, while very good indeed, doesn't have enough oomph for a lot of headphones - especially full size. Also there are gains to be had in terms of sound quality with the upper end of portable DAC/amps, such as the Mojo, even with IEMs.

Personally I tend to stick with just the iPhone (or iPod touch in my case) for listening on the move, but will add a "brick" to it when at home when I want to use my full size HPs.

Yes you are right regarding full size headphones. It's just that I never liked the full size headphone story. But it's my personal matter, if some people prefer them over iems, it's just fine of course. I just never liked carrying around this thing on my head, disturbing me and making my ears hot and sweat!! Even in house after one hour or so of use I am getting disturbed by headphones! For me, a light and comfy iem is the number 1 audio industry's development.

Also my personal opinion is that for high audio quality iems, the gains of Mojo or whatever that you mention over direct plug in an iPhone are minor and not that important. But again it's just my personal opinion...

Jun 12, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #1,874 of 1,973
  There might be (assuming there probably are) but I have no clue.

But at the same time, when you're in portable world, a DAC-only doesn't make much sense. A DAC/Amp is logical...and an Amp-only is logical...but again, not sure about a strict DAC.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find any portable DAC/amps that could power my portables (t40rp mk3) so I had to go with an amp only portable solution. I was just hoping that I could add a portable DAC to my setup because while the iphone 6 has a decent DAC my macbook air's DAC is much worse.

Planar magnetic full size HPs, I haven't found any iems that give me equal enjoyment.

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #1,875 of 1,973
Unfortunately, I was unable to find any portable DAC/amps that could power my portables (t40rp mk3) so I had to go with an amp only portable solution. I was just hoping that I could add a portable DAC to my setup because while the iphone 6 has a decent DAC my macbook air's DAC is much worse.
Planar magnetic full size HPs, I haven't found any iems that give me equal enjoyment.

Search more and you will find even more enjoyment with iems especially when you will release your head and ears from this extra volume:)))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back