Iphone 12 Pro or DAP?
Aug 27, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #16 of 76
No stress, but keep in mind the more you use the port, the faster it might become loose. My older phone’s port became loose so it won’t charge unless in the right position. If you change it every year or every two years you won’t have this problem, mine is much older.

Do you have only a pair of headphones or more? Are you ok with moving the dongle from one to another?

Do you listen to music when working out? If yes, a smaller device might be better than the phone.

Are you ok with receiving calls or notifications when listening to music?

Are you ok with a device whose battery drains fast like a phone? Or would like a device whose battery lasts for weeks without charging?
I have about six pairs of full size headphones and several items, although none of them are terribly hard to drive.
I use BT headphones at the gym, more convenient, but obviously do not sound as good.
I am used to getting calls and notifications on my home, my job can be annoying.
Most things have sufficient battery time for me, I don’t really need something with 30 + hours of battery life.
Two of my full size headphones for example are my sennheiser Amperior and AKG Parabolic for example.
I use an iPhone 12 Pro MAX with an Audirect Atom 2 lightning DAC and Tidal. Very good and very compact solution. But when at home I use my iBasso DX300.
I will have to check that out. When I am at home I use my vintage audio gear and a DAC connected to my IMac, I don’t really listen when at the house. I more than likely use my phone when hiking or asking my dog.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #17 of 76
If you get the iPhone I’d say use it for some time with the $9 Apple dongle, it’s pretty good. If not happy with it check out the Tempotec Sonata HD pro or the more expensive L&P W2.

There’s no memory card on the iPhone so you’ll have to figure out how to put your music on it. If you have flac files I don’t think you’ll be able to play them unless you convert to Alac? I’m not sure.

Aug 27, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #18 of 76
If you get the iPhone I’d say use it for some time with the $9 Apple dongle, it’s pretty good. If not happy with it check out the Tempotec Sonata HD pro or the more expensive L&P W2.

There’s no memory card on the iPhone so you’ll have to figure out how to put your music on it. If you have flac files I don’t think you’ll be able to play them unless you convert to Alac? I’m not sure.
Right, the reason I always went with the Android phones was the expandable memory, would have to spring for a 256 or 512gig. i can see how the dongle goes, I would have to use VLC to play flac or convert to ALAC.

Aug 28, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #20 of 76
Just get a Shanling UP5 to go with your iPhone. BT and USB DAC with balanced amp and it has it's own battery to keep from draining your phone.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #21 of 76
Horses gmfir courses - I like the Dap more, like an a&k. However I use Audeze i4 with cyber cable from time to time w iphone - with onkyo player

Aug 28, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #22 of 76
I would love to, but I think my wife wants to trade it in. I will have to see. I think the LG does a decent job, other than LG never upgrading Android to 11 let alone, 12.
Lg doesn't have good trade in value. You get much less in return vs what the components are worth even as a stand alone media player

Aug 28, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #24 of 76
Let me start off by saying I have an Xduoo X3, it is rockbox'd but I have become tired of it's interface over the years and the screen is antiquated. I have an LG G8 ThinQ, which I think the DACs are pretty decent and it powers my IEMs and full size headphones fine. My problem is that I am being forced to get rid of my LG G8 because Tmobile bought sprint and my phone is CDMA and will not work on the network after Dec 31st. My wife is making me go to an Iphone, I hate Itunes\Music and keep digital files on my LG, have an extra 128 gig card (I don't stream). I know that their is a headphone adaptor for the Iphones, but I don't think the sound is good as a DAP. Any of you use an iphone 12 with headphones? If I bought a DAP, I guess it would have to be under $200. Any suggestions?
To me, the best option is to do both. Get a iPhone and either a Lotoo Paw S1 or Luxury and Precision W1 or W2 depending on which sounds best for your needs. This solution will beat any midfi DAP. If you can swing it, get a high end DAP, too. To me, it’s worth it, but I am a crazy audiophile.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #25 of 76
Let me start off by saying I have an Xduoo X3, it is rockbox'd but I have become tired of it's interface over the years and the screen is antiquated. I have an LG G8 ThinQ, which I think the DACs are pretty decent and it powers my IEMs and full size headphones fine. My problem is that I am being forced to get rid of my LG G8 because Tmobile bought sprint and my phone is CDMA and will not work on the network after Dec 31st. My wife is making me go to an Iphone, I hate Itunes\Music and keep digital files on my LG, have an extra 128 gig card (I don't stream). I know that their is a headphone adaptor for the Iphones, but I don't think the sound is good as a DAP. Any of you use an iphone 12 with headphones? If I bought a DAP, I guess it would have to be under $200. Any suggestions?

Another option might be the Hiby R3 Pro DAP, especially for mostly off-line listening. It will stream Qobuz and Tidal as well, and it has BT, Airplay and UPnP built-in if you ever wanted to stream from your phone. I have one and it stacks up well with my more expensive devices. It's also nice and small...

Aug 30, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #26 of 76
I use 12 PRO MAX with LP W2 dongle....game over DAP.... Just got the HELM BOLT... iphone/dongle 2.. DAP 0. Good for inside and outside.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #28 of 76

You already have a DAP ( LG G8).

Sep 1, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #30 of 76

Users who are viewing this thread

Back