Iphone 12 Pro or DAP?
Sep 2, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #46 of 76
Maybe I was looking to say "they scale better with more power/different amps"
Just drop the part about power and you’re not wrong. I wouldn’t argue that some amps might sound better or different than others, but it’s not the power that makes it that way. As @rlw6534 said, there are a bunch of factors that could effect how an amp sounds, but power isn’t one of them.

I think one of the things that makes it more confusing is that more powerful amps get louder sooner than less powerful amps, and louder pretty much always sounds “better.” That’s why people think high gain sounds better than low, or that balanced sounds better than single-ended. They’re just louder.

Anyway, this probably isn’t the place for this discussion.

Sep 2, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #47 of 76
Maybe I was looking to say "they scale better with more power/different amps"
Nah, it's all good... Some of the better quality amps do have more power,,, :sunglasses:

Sep 3, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #48 of 76
Just want to chime in that you can check on the Apple website how much you'll get for your G8 on trade-in. Looks like you'll get $60, assuming the phone is in decent condition.
Tell your wife you're planning on buying a $200 dongle/DAP if you have to get rid of your old phone. If she wants you to trade your old LG for financial reasons, you'd save $140 by keeping it.

I just switched from a Samsung Galaxy S9 to the iPhone 12 Mini and am pretty happy with the switch. After a certified repair shop broke my S9's motherboard and refused to fix it without charging me "a lot" (their words), I decided to make the switch.
Personal opinion: just start with the Lightning dongle and see where that takes you. I just plugged in my DT 1990 (250Ω) and it sounds great and gets them louder than I like to listen (though without terribly much room in the volume control). I've used a FiiO BTR5*, an AudioQuest Dragonfly Red**, and an old FiiO X5+E12A*** stack and to me the Lightning dongle sounds just as good as any of those and costs way, way, way less.
If you decide to use the dongle, you just saved $191. If you decide to buy something else, you only wasted $9.

* I do not think the BTR5 is a very good product and wouldn't really recommend it. You can buy twelve Lightning dongles for the price of one BTR5.
** I liked the DFR when I used it, but in retrospect it was a total ripoff and also not a very good product. It broke just after the one year warranty expired. You can buy 22 Lightning dongles for the price of one DFR, and each one will be a better product than the AudioQuest. In my opinion, of course.
*** The original X5 is what has turned me off from modern DAPs. What a hunk of junk. Sounded like trash and the UI was even worse than the sound. The firmware was even worse than that. The E12A made the whole sound much better, but it ended up weighing 8 ounces (226.8 grams)! You could buy 55 iPhone dongles for the price of this stack and it would still weigh less than half! And sound as good!
I realize that the X5 isn't made anymore and that possibly newer DAPs are better in every way, but the experience with it soured me on DAPs. In fact, my experience with the BTR5 and X5 has soured me on FiiO and portable audiophilia in general.
Interesting, I can see how the dongle goes first I guess. I doubt Apple would give much for my G8, but there were some deals on T-Mobile for the iphone at some point. Of course the 13 is coming out and then things might change. My wife is already well aware of my audio addiction. I found some beautiful Magneplanar SMGa and Yamaha RX 1130 and have that now setup next to all my other audio gear.

Sep 3, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #49 of 76
I have an iPhone 12, an upgrade from the iPhone X i had for 3+ years. I'm not a fan of streaming, though I use Spotify for checking out unfamiliar music, and have used Tidal and Amazon Hires. I find the iPhone does a decent job of playing lossy music files, recognizing that there is not a lot of power to drive headphones or even wired earbuds. According to this article (https://www.whathifi.com/us/advice/how-to-play-hi-res-music-your-iphone-0), using the lightning to 3.5mm dongle, you can play music up to 24/48. In my search for higher audio quality I have purchased 24 bit FLAC files, and have gone through several dacs, including Chord Mojo and ALO Audio Pilot. I find the dacs make a big difference in hi res audio sound quality, but I got really tired of cables, camera connection kits, loose connections, electrical noise.... I recently bit the bullet and bought a standalone DAP (the Hiby R6 2020, which is out of your price range, but something closer to your budget would still be a good option, in my opinion). Having a source dedicated for playback with a higher quality DAC and headphone amp is making me very happy.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #50 of 76
Same instance here, i liked my LG but here we are with an unpleasant situation. I used mine with BT in my auto, and it sounded fine.
I went with a samsung phone, but will now use any number of my daps with BT or aux out to my car.

Sep 9, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #51 of 76
It used to be pretty clear that hi res was for DAP units and not for iphones. Now there are easy to use lightning DAPs that avoid all the Camera Connecting Kit rigamarole. I think I could learn to use my iphone with aps like HiBy music to stream hi res and SACD ISO to an external DAP. But then again I already have the DAP units....

Sep 10, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #52 of 76
It used to be pretty clear that hi res was for DAP units and not for iphones. Now there are easy to use lightning DAPs that avoid all the Camera Connecting Kit rigamarole. I think I could learn to use my iphone with aps like HiBy music to stream hi res and SACD ISO to an external DAP. But then again I already have the DAP units....
I agree, having a portable DAC connected to a Camera usb and then connected to an Iphone seems like too much going on. I might just stick with my lowly Xduoo X3 or get a newer DAP, like the HiBy R3 Pro Saber.

Sep 11, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #55 of 76
Guys,

Checkout the new Go Blu by U.K. firm IFI Audio
Looks to me like a good choice for those who want LDAC or other hi res bluetooth from the iphone.

In general, whether wired or wireless, looks like this is limited to 96 khz. Yes, you can't hear 192khz. However, but I still want to play hi res natively without forcing a downres. No mention of DSD.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #56 of 76
This is what I purchased for fairly cheap; like $85 or so with shipping. Took a month to arrive. Handles everything.
No CCK needed. Not super powerful, no balanced output but good for one the road. Something of a bright signature.

I really bought this for proof that one can bypass CCK (I have owned the first generation CCK and currently have the second so I know what that drill is all about).

https://www.zorloo.com/ztella

If I ever really wanted ultra hifi from my phone I would research units like this but with better DACs; balanced output, etc.
I did purchase an iphone with a ton of memory (512gb) in case I decided to focus on hi res right from the phone.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #57 of 76
This is what I purchased for fairly cheap; like $85 or so with shipping. Took a month to arrive. Handles everything.
No CCK needed. Not super powerful, no balanced output but good for one the road. Something of a bright signature.

I really bought this for proof that one can bypass CCK (I have owned the first generation CCK and currently have the second so I know what that drill is all about).

https://www.zorloo.com/ztella

If I ever really wanted ultra hifi from my phone I would research units like this but with better DACs; balanced output, etc.
I did purchase an iphone with a ton of memory (512gb) in case I decided to focus on hi res right from the phone.

I have an Hiby FC3, similar features and works well with iPhone without CCK (need the lightning cable though). $69 plus $19 for the Hiby branded cable. I bought it specifically for Apple lossless and hi-res, but it also has MQA if you do Tidal.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #59 of 76
HiBy is a brand I respect so that would be worth looking at also. I like my R5.

Yeah, the ES9281 Pro is a nice little single chip USB DAC/amp with hardware MQA rendering. Perfect for iPhone power compatibility/limitations without needing a USB 3 CCK and a charger. Only 70+70mW@32Ω though, which is plenty for my IEMs.

I believe the Ztella MQA uses the same chip in a different form factor.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #60 of 76
Yeah, the ES9281 Pro is a nice little single chip USB DAC/amp with hardware MQA rendering. Perfect for iPhone power compatibility/limitations without needing a USB 3 CCK and a charger. Only 70+70mW@32Ω though, which is plenty for my IEMs.

I believe the Ztella MQA uses the same chip in a different form factor.

Those ES9281PRO on Hiby FC3 would be a great additions for iPhone. I have ES9281PRO's brother on my Rog Phone 5 (ES9280 PRO), they sounded great and have plenty of power for my IEMs and earbuds, I also have an iPhone 11 which I use them now primarily for taking pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back