Iphone 12 Pro or DAP?
Aug 27, 2021 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

red71rum

100+ Head-Fier
Let me start off by saying I have an Xduoo X3, it is rockbox'd but I have become tired of it's interface over the years and the screen is antiquated. I have an LG G8 ThinQ, which I think the DACs are pretty decent and it powers my IEMs and full size headphones fine. My problem is that I am being forced to get rid of my LG G8 because Tmobile bought sprint and my phone is CDMA and will not work on the network after Dec 31st. My wife is making me go to an Iphone, I hate Itunes\Music and keep digital files on my LG, have an extra 128 gig card (I don't stream). I know that their is a headphone adaptor for the Iphones, but I don't think the sound is good as a DAP. Any of you use an iphone 12 with headphones? If I bought a DAP, I guess it would have to be under $200. Any suggestions?

Aug 27, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 76
Yes, but the OP is buying the iPhone anyway. I would have thought that a $200 dongle (Dragonfly, L&P or similar) would wipe the floor with a $200 DAP.

With a budget of, say, twice that, I would also recommend a separate DAP…

Aug 27, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #7 of 76
Yes, but the OP is buying the iPhone anyway. I would have thought that a $200 dongle (Dragonfly, L&P or similar) would wipe the floor with a $200 DAP.

With a budget of, say, twice that, I would also recommend a separate
Interesting, I had forgotten about that. It looks like to use something like that I would have to use a lightning to usb adaptor. I see the dragonfly Red, is there something comparable that is cheaper?

Aug 27, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #8 of 76
Ibasso dc03 with dd hifi lightning to usb c.

Can be great enough. Please look into usb c -3.5 thread for recommend.

$200 budget, I prefer dongle like Hidiz s9 pro also.

Otherwise the minimum spent in DAP would be ibasso dx160 at least.

$200 DAP, I can think is hidiz ap80.

Aug 27, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #11 of 76
I would have thought that a $200 dongle (Dragonfly, L&P or similar) would wipe the floor with a $200 DAP.

You should hear a Sony A30/40/50 running the WM1A/Z firmware.

A dongle could do, however I personally don't like an extra thing hanging from my phone. I have the Dragonfly Cobalt, and I had the Red before.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #12 of 76
I would suggest a Dragonfly, plus the Onkyo player app (don’t use iTunes!).

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #14 of 76
No stress, but keep in mind the more you use the port, the faster it might become loose. My older phone’s port became loose so it won’t charge unless in the right position. If you change it every year or every two years you won’t have this problem, mine is much older.

Do you have only a pair of headphones or more? Are you ok with moving the dongle from one to another?

Do you listen to music when working out? If yes, a smaller device might be better than the phone.

Are you ok with receiving calls or notifications when listening to music?

Are you ok with a device whose battery drains fast like a phone? Or would like a device whose battery lasts for weeks without charging?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back