iPad to Support USB Audio Interfaces via Camera Connection Kit?
Apr 21, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #436 of 454
Hires flac comes out of the cck at least up to 24/96 where as going through a digital out dock nothing comes over 16/48 as far as I'm aware

Apr 21, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #437 of 454
Hey Dave let me know if you still think Onkyo sounds better than camera kit as I am thinking of getting the kit too. I ordered a cable extender from CableJive so I can connect my ipad straight to the onkyo with the 30 pin apple extension cable. I will let you know how that does.

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #438 of 454
Wow there's a lot of posts here -- hate to do this, but can someone please pretty please summarize the state-of-the-art for pulling digital music files off the iPad 3rd Gen in to a portable AMP/DAC?

Apple says the CCK will work with 3rd Gen, but posters here say no.  And further  -- what's the drill, exactly?  I have a 3rd Gen iPad filled with uncompressed 48K ALACs ... how do I get:

(1) Analog Line Out, into a portable amp
(2) USB Digital Out, into a portable DAC/amp combo

Either has to be better than listening thru the headphone jack, or pumping the HP output to a portable amp.

Apple says the camera app comes up automatically when you plug the CCK in, so how do you get around that, and what's the real skinny on 3rd Gen and CCK?  I saw nothing portable on Onkyo or Wadia sites.

Thanks in advance!

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #439 of 454
Nothing works with an iPad 3 and the CCK...Apple wrote the digital out in the newest code.  You need a dedicated Apple recognized processor for it to work...drat!

Arcam RDAC works fine

Apr 28, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #442 of 454

Quote:
Apple says the CCK will work with 3rd Gen, but posters here say no.  And further  -- what's the drill, exactly?  I have a 3rd Gen iPad filled with uncompressed 48K ALACs ... how do I get:

(2) USB Digital Out, into a portable DAC/amp combo

If the DAC accepting the USB digital input is AC-powered, most of them should run off the PSU, not the USB. Note that there are exceptions; some are designed as SPDIF DACs and the USB section runs off the 5v power. Ergo, problematic compatibility with portable devices.

If it has a battery, most likely it will work if it has a switch to run off the battery instead of automatically using USB when plugged in. The way the latter are designed, they normally just detect the cable, but switch to it regardless of whether there's actually any current through it. Those that have a separate 3.5mm charger port typically might function like AC- and battery-powered devices; ergo, the safest bet is to still check if others have tried them.

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #443 of 454
I just got my kit today. Turned the ipad on, plugged it in, didn't get any messages, connected the cable from my Ref5's usb input to the kit, didn't get any messages, fired up Sky.fm radio app and voila- digital audio! Volume slider is still there but non functional. I will be comparing it to my Onkyo ND-S1 but so far the sound is really good and I don't notice any difference yet.

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #446 of 454
Sup

Sold my Onkyo and now use a squeezebox touch. Just yesterday came across a thread on a third party app for the SBT that allows up to 96/192 and sure enough with my wireworld violet USB cable into my PS Audio Perfectwave DAC I did get the high Rez w a Naim Label high Rez download

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #447 of 454
http://www.head-fi.org/t/607959/enhanced-digital-output-app-usb-dac-and-192k-digital-ouput-for-squeezebox-touch#post_8346494

May 1, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #448 of 454

Quote:
What generation iPad?

Newest

Dave I don't have any 24 bit files but was looking into maybe purchasing some but then I remembered that my DAC doesn't support 24 bits via USB, only coax and opti. FLAC player app supports up to 24bit, 96kHz though so in any way I am limited to 96kHz.
I have my CCK connected to apple dock and again no difference in sound.

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #450 of 454
Have my ipad HD connected to a PS Audio DLIII via the CCK.. Audio appears to be fine but the levels are just too high... Anyway to lower them in the iPad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back