iPad-Fi
Aug 2, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #376 of 623
the lack of tactile feedback drives me nuts. not specifically an iPad issue but an issue with all touch screens. only reason i have it is because my job bought 3 of them for the IT department to test out and report back if we think it would be a useful tool for the sales staff. i enjoy my iPhone more than the iPad for whatever reason though. probably due to the awkward size of the iPad or that i do less browsing on the iPhone.

Aug 2, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #377 of 623
But its massively lacking specs, I forgot the the tablets name but it had better specs than the ipad and yet it came out years and years ago

Aug 2, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #378 of 623
heck even the iphone can do everything and more than it

Aug 2, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #379 of 623
The only thing the iPhone does that the iPad can't is make calls. I have both. Wouldn't give up either.

Aug 2, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #380 of 623
it can text, has 2 times the ram, has 2 cameras as opposed to none, has multitasking.... and can be pocketable. A cheap netbook will out perform a ipad and will have flash. Not trying to start a flame war, but I really dont understand the need for it, except maybe applying to the saying that "bigger is always better" 
wink_face.gif

Aug 2, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #381 of 623
The iPad is far better for web browsing and watching videos due to the screen size.

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #382 of 623
then why not use a laptop, or netbook type thing.. or actually another more powerful and cheaper tablet?

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #383 of 623

then why not use a laptop, or netbook type thing.. or actually another more powerful and cheaper tablet?

Most of this has been addressed. The main answer is form factor and boot time. I also have a better spec'd laptop that gets very little use nowadays (mainly use it for large spreadsheet work). When I want to use it, I have to go through updates for windows and antivirus. Also, I much prefer the form factor that makes it easy to carry from place to place and to lounge on the couch while reading.

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #384 of 623
tacomm, you haven't used one, have you? I have both the iPad and iPhone 4. The iPad is invaluable. It doesn't weigh much and between gestures and a Bluetooth keyboard, I can fly through tasks faster than I can on a pointer-based device. My browsing is about twice as fast and I can intuitively do what I want without having to manipulate a cursor with a mouse or trackpad. You don't really notice this until you use one. The iPhone is adequate, but the additional real estate makes a monstrous difference. You get a much bigger picture and don't have to constantly scroll. Also, the 3G coverage means that I get coverage everywhere I usually go without messing with finding a wi-fi hotspot that's not locked and is free. Further, the iPad has twice the battery reserve of my laptop and weighs half as much. What's not to like?

The reason I don't buy a netbook is because mouse/cursor control feels downright clunky and old-fashioned once you're used to gestures. This is why Apple introduced the new trackpad for Macs. My guess is that OS XI (or whatever they call it) is going to fully integrate the Mac line with the iOS line, with mostly gestures for control.

As usual, the PC industry is stuck a good 5-10 years in the past.

And before you slam me as a computer know-nothing, be aware that I also run Linux at home, build machines and am comfortable with the command line. That's for when I want to muck with computers. The Apple stuff is for when I just want to browse the web or go mobile. Windows is just a bunch of continuing labor to keep it upright. It ain't worth the trouble.

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #385 of 623
I just picked up another iPad. This time around, I bought the WiFi only, I want to use it around the house. My 3G iPad is used by the GF most of the time.

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #386 of 623
Don't have a laptop, and don't really want one. When I want to work, I prefer a desktop for it's speed, power and larger screen.

But for "consuming" content (like reading the 238 page T1-intro thread here), being able to do so in a comfy chair holding something with the form factor of an iPad is pretty hard to beat. It's nearly the ultimate reading device, IMHO. (but I'm still keeping my Kindle. :wink:

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #387 of 623
Don't have a laptop, and don't really want one. When I want to work, I prefer a desktop for it's speed, power and larger screen.

But for "consuming" content (like reading the 238 page T1-intro thread here), being able to do so in a comfy chair holding something with the form factor of an iPad is pretty hard to beat. It's nearly the ultimate reading device, IMHO. (but I'm still keeping my Kindle. :wink:

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #388 of 623
no one commented on how you can get better bang for your buck and better spec tablet than ipad if your claim is you like to use a pad more than something else. 

uncle eric "As usual, the PC industry is stuck a good 5-10 years in the past." 

not true you can get a pc that is alot more powerful and better performer than a mac. I love macs and am typing this message on one. But macs products are appealing for there great user friendly usability as well as being dependable. Not for its specs over other computers. Its more of a all in one package that it has to offer (Also with apples great marketing skills and to seemingly ability to control it consumers like puppets).

But the ipad is just not a all in one package and lacks very important features. I just cant believe that the iphone 4g for instance has twice the ram as the ipad, lacks multifunction,flash, and camera.

Im not trying to be a flamer but actually dont get it. If you like to use a tablet thats fine, there are ones that have come before that have can do all of the things the ipad does and more, it dosnt bring anything new to the table. I could never see the ipad sell if it came out from another company. In fact tablets were a dying bread before they came out, that just goes to show that if there is a apple logo on anything, people will buy it.  

ps. and just to be clear I am not a "Mac" nor am i a "PC".
I think its getting a little weird. Its like political parties 

o and by the way I have used the ipad. But just curious if you have used other tablets?

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #389 of 623
again dont  flame me because I have a opposing view, with all things I try to have a fare judgment on things and not let preferences control it. Some of you may "well if you dont like it why are you on here" its because I just am mystified by its success

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #390 of 623

Quote:
no one commented on how you can get better bang for your buck and better spec tablet than ipad if your claim is you like to use a pad more than something else. 

uncle eric "As usual, the PC industry is stuck a good 5-10 years in the past." 

not true you can get a pc that is alot more powerful and better performer than a mac. I love macs and am typing this message on one. But macs products are appealing for there great user friendly usability as well as being dependable. Not for its specs over other computers. Its more of a all in one package that it has to offer (Also with apples great marketing skills and to seemingly ability to control it consumers like puppets).

But the ipad is just not a all in one package and lacks very important features. I just cant believe that the iphone 4g for instance has twice the ram as the ipad, lacks multifunction,flash, and camera.

Im not trying to be a flamer but actually dont get it. If you like to use a tablet thats fine, there are ones that have come before that have can do all of the things the ipad does and more, it dosnt bring anything new to the table. I could never see the ipad sell if it came out from another company. In fact tablets were a dying bread before they came out, that just goes to show that if there is a apple logo on anything, people will buy it.  

ps. and just to be clear I am not a "Mac" nor am i a "PC".
I think its getting a little weird. Its like political parties 

o and by the way I have used the ipad. But just curious if you have used other tablets?

You keep talking about how other tablets have better specs, and while it may be true that these other tablets have better hardware specs, that does not mean that the tablet runs faster/smoother/better. the thing about apple is the unity of the hardware and the software. The majority of those other tablets are running desktop OS's rejiggered a bit for tablet use. This is not a propper solution at all. The reason why the iPad is so awesome is how well the software works as a touch device, and also in how well the OS is written. My "specs" might not be as fast as some other tablets, but the device still feels faster. Also most of those other tablets dont have even close to the battery life of the iPad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back