iPad-Fi
Aug 2, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #391 of 623
I don't always want to boot up the laptop - that's for sure.  Too much hassle.  WAY too much - booting up my laptop to real usability is a 3-5 minute affair.

And The iPad is much better form factor for watching videos than the laptop, IMO. 

The "iPod" function is faster and easier than launching and running iTunes from my laptop. 

And I use a BlackBerry from work, so I don't have and can't really use an iPhone, so the iPad's running those Apps is cool too.

Etc. Etc.

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #392 of 623
actually another of the grips I have is that I found the ipad battery kinda sucked. Its supposed to las 10 hours but I found it died alot faster. The kindle for instant is supposed to last a weeks amount of time.

Usually apples products are super sleek and even thought may not be the best performers, for regular users they are great and they can do bits of everything. But more importantly do it well. Ipad is big and weighs alot compared some of the competition and almost is in the bottom in tablet comparisons in term of spes across the board yet top in price. I have never seen a apple product like that. Trust me, I know a interface is very important in usability and can see why to use a product over another as its easier and more fun to use Hence my mac. But still with the amount of negatives I am in able to grasp the reasoning of getting the ipad over another tablet. This is why I am talking to you guys now, maybe im just missing something?  Sorry if I make any one angry, as this is not my intent.

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #393 of 623
tacomm, this is an "iPad-fi" thread, not a "should I buy an iPad" thread.  I've had to sift thru enough of your posts- I got it, you don't want one.  I have one, like it, and have user questions.  None of which you are helping with.  

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #394 of 623
alright sorry to annoy, I guess that since im directing the thread into a undesirable path Ill will stop talking. 
cool.gif

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #396 of 623
I can't imagine anyone complaining about battery life. My iPad goes 9-10 hours on a charge, and that's playing video. Nothing else I know can do that.

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #398 of 623

Quote:
I can't imagine anyone complaining about battery life. My iPad goes 9-10 hours on a charge, and that's playing video. Nothing else I know can do that.

Same.  Battery is very impressive.

Aug 3, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #399 of 623

Quote:
Same.  Battery is very impressive.

indeed, i typically only charge mine once a week or so, and thats with internet browsing, rss/instapaper feed reading, and reading books on it throughout the week.

by the way, a couple pages back i was looking for recommendations for a RSS feed reader, i finaly picked Reeder for iPad and i freakin love it, dont even touch google reader anymore.

Aug 3, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #400 of 623
Speaking of battery (and perhaps this is the wrong thread), my 3Gs which has the new OS has finally started showing signs of this battery plague that many others are talking about when they upgraded.  I go thru about 15-20% an hour, in standby.  And yes I am very careful to close out any running apps.  I just hope they figure this out before the new OS comes to the iPad or we are all in for a shock.

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #403 of 623

Quote:

tacomn, i feel the exact same way about everything you mentioned. 

So you think the battery power sucks or 1.5 pounds is just too much for you to handle?   If its the later, you might want to trade that dog in for a hamster.

Quote:
 Ipad is big and weighs alot compared some of the competition

What "competition" with the same size screen weighs less? 

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #404 of 623
ok, don't get all butt hurt because someone doesn't like something you do. yes 1.5lbs is heavy if your holding it for extended periods of time. i dont mean heavy like im going to drop it or something, heavy like its annoying and awkward. i have the same complaint of my other tablet. the reason a laptop works even though its much heavier is that it's sitting on your lap. your not trying to hold it in one hand and peck at keys with the other typically. i also have problems propping it up in bed or on the couch due to its weight. it tends to slide down over time. my kindle seems to be a great weight as is my iphone. i enjoy both of those devices and my laptop much more than either of my tablets.

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #405 of 623
Obviously, we have people that can handle a book sized tablet and others that can't.  My niece, that weighs less than 100 pounds, has no problem with it and apparently some do.  I will let others make a judgment on whether than can handle the weight or not.  To decide, grab yourself an average sized hardcover book, not a text book (they weigh too much), and see if you have problems holding it with one hand on occasion while you flip pages, make a note, or carry it around the house.  If you find it to be too much to handle, stay away from the iPad...and the bookstore for that matter.

I would advise these rather diminutive people to get a laptop, but I have no idea how they would get it to their lap and I would worry that it could crush their thighs if they were able to get it there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back