iPad-Fi
Aug 3, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #406 of 623
again, i didnt say it was difficult to pick up or hold at all. it's size and weight just make it awkward and uncomfortable to hold for extended periods(hours at a time). but you seem sort of dense so i dont know if stating it a 3rd time is even going to sink in. plus all this clicking and typing on keys is making my feeble little body tired.

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #407 of 623

Quote:
 it's size and weight just make it awkward and uncomfortable to hold for extended periods(hours at a time).

If you are awkward, don't blame the iPad.  The iPad is made so you can easily move it around, change the font size, take it from room to room, etc...  It is only as awkward as the user. 

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #408 of 623

Quote:

If you are awkward, don't blame the iPad.  The iPad is made so you can easily move it around, change the font size, take it from room to room, etc...  It is only as awkward as the user. 

so by that type of thinking, no product can be awkward then... It just the users fault. Man I must of been to hard on the old virtual boy nintendo.... It was actually ME who sucked.

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #410 of 623
No one has to like the thing. But no one should have a problem that many people do, either.

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #411 of 623

Quote:
 so by that type of thinking, no product can be awkward then... It just the users fault. Man I must of been to hard on the old virtual boy nintendo.... It was actually ME who sucked.

I  have no idea if the nintendo is awkward.  

I can state that something the size of a book, that has the ability to be read in landscape or portrait, has the ability to go from one seating position to another while still in use, can be read sitting up or laying down, has the ability to zoom in so you can use it at varying lengths from your face, etc... is something that most people can tailor to fit their needs and find a comfortable position. 

In comparison, if you put your laptop in your lap and use it while sitting up, I am sure a lot of people would complain about the heat on their nether regions & stiff necks from looking at one spot all day.  The iPad is one of the most flexible devices to use in different positions because of its size, weight and diminsions.  I will stick to my statement that if you find it awkward, it says more about you than the device. 

Quote:
 you're just embarrassing yourself now.

You are the one that is visiting iPad-Fi to make ridiculous statements about a device that is lighter and thinner than most hardbound books. 

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #412 of 623
Quote:

What's really awkward is whining, moaning and whinging about a product you don't have to buy.

Even more awkward is to try to convince people who actually own, use and enjoy a device that they're wrong.

Just what are you trying to prove?  Look, we get it that you don't want one.  But I do.  It works for me.  If it doesn't work for you, then, by all means, do not buy one.

But for something I use for a few hours every day, I think it's pretty good.

Now you run along and play with whatever it is that makes you happy.

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #413 of 623

Quote:

I  have no idea if the nintendo is awkward.  

I can state that something the size of a book, that has the ability to be read in landscape or portrait, has the ability to go from one seating position to another while still in use, can be read sitting up or laying down, has the ability to zoom in so you can use it at varying lengths from your face, etc... is something that most people can tailor to fit their needs and find a comfortable position. 

In comparison, if you put your laptop in your lap and use it while sitting up, I am sure a lot of people would complain about the heat on their nether regions & stiff necks from looking at one spot all day.  The iPad is one of the most flexible devices to use in different positions because of its size, weight and diminsions.  I will stick to my statement that if you find it awkward, it says more about you than the device. 

You are the one that is visiting iPad-Fi to make ridiculous statements about a device that is lighter and thinner than most hardbound books. 

http://gizmodo.com/5511907/how-are-you-holding-your-ipad
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=886934
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37235630/
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/apple-ipad-the-five-biggest-annoyances/34807

i guess a large portion of ipad users are just hopelessly awkward.

also, what ridiculous statement did i make? i said it was awkward to hold for extended periods of time. holding a book is easier as it conform to your hand better and it only requires you to turn a page. to efficiently type i find you need both hands free. that means putting the ipad down which introduces a nice glare most of the time. anyway, it's not important this gripe is dragging on and you're still going to think it's the most ergonomic device around either way. i was just letting it known to any potential owners that the size and weight of this thing limit it's usefulness in my opinion. i don't understand why it's ok for you mention how great it is but if someone mentions something they didn't like about it you get all defensive.

Aug 3, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #414 of 623
im not whining nor moaning.. I see a product that is lackluster yet Is selling well. I dont quite understand this turn of events so I decided to see what my fellows at headfli had to say about it. I was trying to be sensible but if that is all it takes for some of you to break out and resort to childish name calling, then im sorry I even asked.

Aug 3, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #415 of 623
de gustibus non est disputandum
Taste is not to be disputed.

Isnt' it funny that we are all prepared to cut everyone slack on each person's taste in music.  However, taste in hardware is an entirely different thing!

I never owned a Mac - have had PCs since the 80s.  Have used a Blackberry and many pocket PCs.  Got an iPhone earlier this year.  Got an iPad last month.  All mainly used for business.

I like the iPad.  I can put up with the added heft in return for the added convenience.  Even with the heft, it is far easier and pleasant to use than my netbook or notebook.  Emails and documents are easier on the iPad than the netbook.  I have a bluetooth keyboard.  The iPad makes it easier to enjoy my music than my netbook does.  As well, it's easy to stream audio and video from my home computer to wherever I am.  Love the line out and I am eagerly waiting for my camera kit to pair the iPad with my D10 or uDac.

It works for me.  If it doesn't work for you, that's OK too.

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #416 of 623
"Is your laptop a pain in the neck?"

"When Ram Viswanadha began using a laptop at work, he decided to shelve his clunky old desktop PC for good. The notebook's size, speed and memory blew the older computer away.

What the 30-year-old Silicon Valley software engineer didn't bargain for was a severe case of repetitive strain injury--and a three-month disability leave--from hunching over his laptop day in and day out for four years.

Viswanadha's situation is a worst-case scenario in workplace ergonomics, but stories like his are becoming more common, according to doctors and ergonomic experts across the country. As people ditch desktop computers to work full time on laptops, doctors expect to see a lot more pains, strains and injuries among white collar workers".....

"Laptops can cause other physical woes. People have been burned by the heat the machines generate. The temperature issue can also cause fertility problems in men who place the machines on their laps for prolonged periods. Frequent travelers can put strain on backs, hands and shoulders by lugging a laptop around."

In other words, laptops are dangerous when you use them for hours on end. 

As for the iPad, many of the complaints came from people that do not use cases.  The case makes it easier to hold like a book, gives it the ability to tilt toward you like a laptop, and makes it easy to sit on a table while you watch video.  Get a case and many of your problems should be solved.  If you have to do tons of typing (which I don't use it for that purpose) you can get a keyboard. 

This is my last post on this particular subject.  I really don't think people go to "iPad-fi" to read arguments related to ergonomics of laptops vs iPads.  I happen to own both and prefer the iPad. However, I will be holding onto my laptop, too. So it is not an either/or issue for me.

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #417 of 623

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Isnt' it funny that we are all prepared to cut everyone slack on each person's taste in music.  However, taste in hardware is an entirely different thing!

True that.  Maybe I just don't read the right threads but I don't see Sennheiser people clashing against Grado users very often, either (and I'm definitely not the Grado type).  Not to say no one shouldn't be knocking on some of its more obvious faults, but perhaps this thread (and the way you posted it) may not have been the most appropriate one to post it on.  Almost makes me wonder if it was intentional trolling when he came back to post more after noting himself it may have been somewhat out-of-context.

btw, I agree wholeheartedly about the weight and the somewhat awkward nature if you try to hold it right in front of you -- which turned out to be a nonissue for me, as it's a use 5mins/do something else type of device for me anyway.  I have 3 PCs (4 before I junked my old server) all over the house if I want to do any serious PC'ing, the ipad does a fantastic job as an inbetween device you can do quick browsing during commercials, getting a quick drink, checking email before calling it a night, etc.  I was really looking forward to some of the competitors' tablets hoping for an even more convenient tabletop device, but it seems everyone else is doing the 650g-range device, albeit with an even more awkward 16:9 screen and Windows7.

Aug 3, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #418 of 623

Quote:
again, i didnt say it was difficult to pick up or hold at all. it's size and weight just make it awkward and uncomfortable to hold for extended periods(hours at a time).

I have the Apple standard case, and it's a lot less awkward in it. Pretty comfortable in fact.

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #419 of 623

Quote:

http://gizmodo.com/5511907/how-are-you-holding-your-ipad
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=886934
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37235630/
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/apple-ipad-the-five-biggest-annoyances/34807

i guess a large portion of ipad users are just hopelessly awkward.

also, what ridiculous statement did i make? i said it was awkward to hold for extended periods of time. holding a book is easier as it conform to your hand better and it only requires you to turn a page. to efficiently type i find you need both hands free. that means putting the ipad down which introduces a nice glare most of the time. anyway, it's not important this gripe is dragging on and you're still going to think it's the most ergonomic device around either way. i was just letting it known to any potential owners that the size and weight of this thing limit it's usefulness in my opinion. i don't understand why it's ok for you mention how great it is but if someone mentions something they didn't like about it you get all defensive.

Quote:
im not whining nor moaning.. I see a product that is lackluster yet Is selling well. I dont quite understand this turn of events so I decided to see what my fellows at headfli had to say about it. I was trying to be sensible but if that is all it takes for some of you to break out and resort to childish name calling, then im sorry I even asked.

The traditional definition of a troll refers to a member of a community or usenet group who
makes posts deliberately designed to attract responses of outrage or indignation.

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #420 of 623
tacomm, then what is your purpose for participating in this thread? There's a lot of stuff discussed here that I would never buy. I rarely go to the portable forum because very few things there interest me. But that's not a reason for me to go in there and tell everyone that they're wasting their money because I think full-sized open headphones are better. I could make an argument supporting that, but I see that IEMs are used, and loved by a lot of people. And that's fine. If they bought something that works for them, I'm happy that they're happy. Likewise, if you're happy with a netbook, great. I'm not going to crap on you for it. I'm simply not going to buy a netbook and continue using the iPad which I find incredibly useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back