ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK
Feb 23, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #361 of 532
  tmauceri's solution is good for me. What black adaptor is he/she using after the lightning to USB cable? I can't find it for the life of me. What do I type in to search to buy the adaptor?, it's all connected so I can't see the end. his solution on page 17.

or for a very short solution, the lightning nomad cable into this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-NEW-USB-2-0-Type-A-Female-to-Male-Mini-5-Pin-B-Adapter-Converter-Connector-/161232571992?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

I don't think that Nomad cable will work… You don't just need a Lightning-USB cable, you need the cable for connecting a camera ('CCK'). A normal cable, like the one that comes with the iPhone to charge and sync it, is not the same. Only the CCK cable has the USB host controller necessary for standard USB DACs.

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #362 of 532
Having a bit of trouble with the Onkyo HF player....

I'm using an iPhone 4S running iOS 7.0.6, connected to an HRT Headstreamer via the HRT Host Mode Adapter (basically a rebranded CCK) and the supplied cable. As source material, I am using Redbook material ripped from CD in AIFF and ALAC formats, as well as 96/24 files downloaded from HDTracks.

The Redbook files work perfectly, but on the 96 KHz material there is a loud, continuous clicking after the first second or so of music. BTW, these files play perfectly on my DX50, and also replay through the iPhone's built-in loudspeaker (downsampled, presumably...).

Also, my Pure i20 appears only to output a 44.1 KHz signal (the LD DAC_1 which I use with it has a frequency display - the same file via the DX50's SPDIF output registers the full 96 KHz!).

Any suggestions / advice?

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #364 of 532
"What is the best way to overcome the dreaded "The connected device requires too much power""?

I posted this a while ago in the forums, but after a while it gets lost and people come back asking the same questions.

This works on all IOS, all ipads, iphones with the ability to output a digital out.  I have tested this personally on iphone 4s, iphone 5, iphone 5s, ipad 2,3,4,air, mini and mini retina with an audioquest dragonfly.

While the T3Hub works, it is no longer available.

Here is a solution:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111116825157

I have no connection with the seller. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #365 of 532
It still amazes me that using the CCK cable we can use the iphone and ipad as digital audio storage transports.

I just recently picked up a Fiio E07 Andes, and can confirm that it works in these scenarios

1)  The USB power option must be turned off
2)  Must use the CCK cable as previously noted (related to USB hub)
3)  With the Fiio E07, playback is limited to 96 khz. 
4)  My CCK is the 30 pin version; but using the 30 pin to lightning dongle from apple I was able to use the iphone 5 to play hi res audio to the Fiio.

So a few questions.

First, have we confirmed that we are actually outputting hi res audio and not just getting some kind of fancy pass through of 48khz data ?

Second, what is the best way to manage the insertion and removal of audio.  Using VLC, it would appear simple to add audio but clicking on the VLC app in itunes and adding files. But it sure is not obvious how to remove audio.  I tried an app that was recommended in one thread, and this did not work but did mess up some files on the ipad.  There seem to be a few Windows apps (yes I use Windows) that can manage this process; are there any that have general agreement that they work and do not have virus or trojans attached?  I recently had my PC attacked by a video playback app that was recommended on the Asus transformer forums, so now I have become cautious.

Third, is there an agreed upon preferred app for playback?  VLC works and is free, and will stream hi res material from the Synology server.  But of course we want audio on the go !  I tried a few other apps in the free demo mode, but had trouble adding files.  I am open to suggestions.  The onkyo app looks cool (and I have an Onkyo receiver so it is a trusted brand) but I could not add music using itunes.  Or maybe I did but couldn't find the music?  

Fourth, with the Fiio I know for sure that playback is limited to 96khz.  But, the unit seems to play 192khz material using VLC.  I presume that the audio is downconverted.   However,  the amount of bitrate downconversion is unknown to me.  Maybe somebody knows what happens with VLC?

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #366 of 532

I'm using an iPhone 4S running iOS 7.0.6, connected to an HRT Headstreamer via the HRT Host Mode Adapter (basically a rebranded CCK) and the supplied cable. As source material, I am using Redbook material ripped from CD in AIFF and ALAC formats, as well as 96/24 files downloaded from HDTracks.

The Redbook files work perfectly, but on the 96 KHz material there is a loud, continuous clicking after the first second or so of music. BTW, these files play perfectly on my DX50, and also replay through the iPhone's built-in loudspeaker (downsampled, presumably...).

Also, my Pure i20 appears only to output a 44.1 KHz signal (the LD DAC_1 which I use with it has a frequency display - the same file via the DX50's SPDIF output registers the full 96 KHz!).

This clicking issue on the Headstreamer on hi-rez files might be similar to one with the microStreamer.  If so, it is a very subtle issue having to do with feedback parameters in the DAC itself to allow the asynchronous connection to work properly.

The following post points to a possible solution, but it is not for the faint of heart, IMO (changing internal settings is always dicey).  I haven't tried it yet on the microStreamer.  I'd contact HRT to see if they suggest a similar solution for the Headstreamer. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/682222/ios7-iphone-and-apple-cck/210#post_9939146

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #367 of 532
It still amazes me that using the CCK cable we can use the iphone and ipad as digital audio storage transports.

I just recently picked up a Fiio E07 Andes, and can confirm that it works in these scenarios

1)  The USB power option must be turned off
2)  Must use the CCK cable as previously noted (related to USB hub)
3)  With the Fiio E07, playback is limited to 96 khz. 
4)  My CCK is the 30 pin version; but using the 30 pin to lightning dongle from apple I was able to use the iphone 5 to play hi res audio to the Fiio.

So a few questions.

First, have we confirmed that we are actually outputting hi res audio and not just getting some kind of fancy pass through of 48khz data ?

Second, what is the best way to manage the insertion and removal of audio.  Using VLC, it would appear simple to add audio but clicking on the VLC app in itunes and adding files. But it sure is not obvious how to remove audio.  I tried an app that was recommended in one thread, and this did not work but did mess up some files on the ipad.  There seem to be a few Windows apps (yes I use Windows) that can manage this process; are there any that have general agreement that they work and do not have virus or trojans attached?  I recently had my PC attacked by a video playback app that was recommended on the Asus transformer forums, so now I have become cautious.

Third, is there an agreed upon preferred app for playback?  VLC works and is free, and will stream hi res material from the Synology server.  But of course we want audio on the go !  I tried a few other apps in the free demo mode, but had trouble adding files.  I am open to suggestions.  The onkyo app looks cool (and I have an Onkyo receiver so it is a trusted brand) but I could not add music using itunes.  Or maybe I did but couldn't find the music?  

Fourth, with the Fiio I know for sure that playback is limited to 96khz.  But, the unit seems to play 192khz material using VLC.  I presume that the audio is downconverted.   However,  the amount of bitrate downconversion is unknown to me.  Maybe somebody knows what happens with VLC?

Thanks!

A few brief comments - linked back to yours for brevity.

1) Agree
2) I have never had to use a USB hub with my E07
3) Agree, but some apps. do down sample higher res. eg. 192khz material and play it successfully
4) Useful for me to know as I have not tried this combination

First - Yes we have. For example my E17 reports 24/96 on its display.
Second - I prefer flac player and use iTunes app.sharing to drag and drop files on to the iPhone. Flacplayer then organises them in to folders when the app. is started. Once on the iPhone it is best to delete files via whichever app. you are using. You can delete some files or folders using iTunes (click on the item then hit DEL) but then the app. does not know it has been deleted and may misbehave
Third - with a free app. you get what you pay for! I use flacplayer but have also successfully tried Capriccio and GoldenEar. Flacplayer was most reliable when I first got into this back in the spring of 2012. Canopener is developing nicely and is worth checking out if you are using headphones. It also plays hires WAV files.
Fourth - see 3) above but I have not tried vlc on an iDevice. Also I have not tried 192khz into the E17 via USB. Rather than use a powered hub and USB I use a Matrix USB/SPDIF converter in to the SPDIF input of the E17. The E17 is limited to 96khz through SPDIF and higher res. files are a bit large for the iPhone anyway. However I can still play 24/176khz and 24/192khz material through this setup.

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #368 of 532
Xeroian,

Thank you for the helpful reply.  

I am currently looking for the best software solution for using this on the ipad and iphone.  Flacplayer may be best.  I would like a piece of software the can both play audio that is currently on the device, but in the regular itunes library and directly loaded into the software (in the case of hi res flac files).  I would also like it to scan the home network.  

So far the best results are with OPlayer because it scans the local servers well.  The only issue, and this may be due to network limitations, but it tends to stutter or drop out with hi res files.  It will automatically play songs in sequence from a server track listing, whereas VLC seems to only play one track at a time.  There is a small gap between songs, but I suppose that can't be helped.

I did pay $1 for Capriccio, but so far it seems balky.  I am not really sure what I am doing wrong!  

I like the idea that the Onkyo app can play DSD but I find the user interface rather confusing so I am unlikely to upgrade.  

Do you think Flac player or something else will meet my (relatively simple) needs?

This discussion, is, of course, open to other forum participants!

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #369 of 532
Not my area of expertise I am afraid. Certainly flacplayer only plays flac files and only local ones at that. I use JRemote (JRiver) or Remote (itunes) to access my servers and CanOpener rather than the standard music app.

I have dabbled with plugplayer which plays the iTunes library which is on the iDevice and everything on my DLNA servers but not used it much.

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #372 of 532
Xeroian,

Thank you for the helpful reply.  

I am currently looking for the best software solution for using this on the ipad and iphone.  Flacplayer may be best.  I would like a piece of software the can both play audio that is currently on the device, but in the regular itunes library and directly loaded into the software (in the case of hi res flac files).  I would also like it to scan the home network.  

So far the best results are with OPlayer because it scans the local servers well.  The only issue, and this may be due to network limitations, but it tends to stutter or drop out with hi res files.  It will automatically play songs in sequence from a server track listing, whereas VLC seems to only play one track at a time.  There is a small gap between songs, but I suppose that can't be helped.

I did pay $1 for Capriccio, but so far it seems balky.  I am not really sure what I am doing wrong!  

I like the idea that the Onkyo app can play DSD but I find the user interface rather confusing so I am unlikely to upgrade.  

Do you think Flac player or something else will meet my (relatively simple) needs?

This discussion, is, of course, open to other forum participants!
I have been using the Onkyo Player since it's release and find it far more robust than the FLAC Player. They both use iTunes to add music files. The FLAC Player is easier to remove files from then the Onkyo, but the Onkyo's stability far out weights the FLAC Player.

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #373 of 532

See my post on page 15.

Mar 12, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #374 of 532
  tmauceri's solution is good for me. What black adaptor is he/she using after the lightning to USB cable? I can't find it for the life of me. What do I type in to search to buy the adaptor?, it's all connected so I can't see the end. his solution on page 17.

or for a very short solution, the lightning nomad cable into this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-NEW-USB-2-0-Type-A-Female-to-Male-Mini-5-Pin-B-Adapter-Converter-Connector-/161232571992?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

Here is the black adaptor                          
http://www.amazon.com/Male-Adapter-Connector-Cables-Camera/dp/B00G93R25I/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394657451&sr=1-2&keywords=usb+a+male+to+mini+b+male

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #375 of 532
duhu8epe.jpg

Touch5g - Flacplayer app - Hifi-m8- cck - usb-A to B short adapter.

u5a3u5u6.jpg

I generally just use the lightning cable and 16/41 files. This was merely experimental.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back