ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK
Mar 15, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #376 of 532
I can confirm that ios7.1 now works with the MDAC with 24/88 and 24/96 material via the CCK on an ipad3.

Before the introduction of ios7 it worked as well, but with 7.0.x it would stutter on high sample rate material.

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #380 of 532
Looking for help amp-ing my iPhone 5C running iOS7 (as of a week ago).

I need a "fairly" portable solution:
>Minimal cables and adapters... if at all possible.
>Do not want to use a USB hub.
>My collection is 90% Apple lossless converted over from 16 bit CD, 10% 320k MP3

Can a battery powered amp/DAC like the Fiio E17 or E07K be used:
iPhone 5C => CCK+adapter => E17 Alpen

Anyone tried this combo?... I am hoping the supplemental battery power of the Fiio (or similar DAC/Amp) would eliminate power draw from its USB host, and alleviate the power draw error message.

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #381 of 532

>My collection is 90% Apple lossless converted over from 16 bit CD, 10% 320k MP3

Anyone tried this combo?... I am hoping the supplemental battery power of the Fiio (or similar DAC/Amp) would eliminate power draw from its USB host, and alleviate the power draw error message.

Any of these that will work without a powered hub will now work with IOS7 and the CCK:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/507559/list-of-dacs-that-work-with-ipad

Something like the Apex Glacier or Leckerton UHA 6S Mk2 will work perfectly and sound great.

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #382 of 532
Thanks Barbes!
Do you happen to know if we have to buy the "original" apple cck to use with iphone 4s, or something like this would do?:

http://www.amazon.com/Card-Adapter-Apple-Camera-Connection/dp/B008LYU2K0/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1395047460&sr=8-15&keywords=ipad+camera+connection+kit

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #383 of 532
Mar 19, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #384 of 532
Last week I bought a portable DAC/AMP (IFI Nano IDSD) to hook up on my phone. The DAC can support PCM up to 384kHz/32bit and even can handle DSD and DXD formats. At the moment I'm using an Iphone 4s with Isub player to stream and play music on my phone.  I got it working with my Iphone 4s using a Apple CCK. When playing high resolution FLAC or DSD files from my PC I can see on the DAC (different color lights) it's converting all the different formats/ frequencies (48kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz, etc).  When playing the same songs using Isub on my iphone, the audio signal to the DAC only seems to be 44/48kHz. No matter which format I play. The Isub player shows the right format information (like for example 192 kHz), but it's actually not sending it to my DAC. Active transcoding is turn off in Subsonic. My questions is if the output is limited by the Iphone itself or are there still some settings in Subsonic or Isub that I have to change.
Does anybody has experience using a streaming app and actually output 96 or 192 kHz music files.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #385 of 532

Just to be clarify the above. The E17 does not work in a straight iPhone >> CCK >> E17 situation. This triggers the "too much power" message. The E7 does work as long as USB charging is turned off from the E7 menu.

I am able to use my E17 in combination with a Matrix USB to SPDIF converter. So it goes IPhone >> CCK >> short USB cable as supplied by Matrix >> Matrix >> short phono cable >> SPDIF converter as supplied by Fiio with the E17 >> E17.

The Matrix converter is available through eBay for about $35 I think. Mine shipped from China to the UK in about a week. With the right short cables or adapters this can be quite a compact solution.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #386 of 532
[Does anybody has experience using a streaming app and actually output 96 or 192 kHz music files.[/COLOR]

Pretty sure your problem is with isub. As per my post immediately above I use a Fiio E17 via a Matrix converter. I use flacplayer and the E17 does show 96/24 on the display when I play such files. I get the same result with canopener. However if I play 192/24 material through flacplayer the E17 displays 96/24 (this is the matrix maximum) but with canopener the E17 only displays 48/16.

In summary, the iPhone and CCK can pass through high rate data but not every app. handles it the same way.

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #387 of 532
Just to be clarify the above. The E17 does not work in a straight iPhone >> CCK >> E17 situation. This triggers the "too much power" message. The E7 does work as long as USB charging is turned off from the E7 menu.

I am able to use my E17 in combination with a Matrix USB to SPDIF converter. So it goes IPhone >> CCK >> short USB cable as supplied by Matrix >> Matrix >> short phono cable >> SPDIF converter as supplied by Fiio with the E17 >> E17.

The Matrix converter is available through eBay for about $35 I think. Mine shipped from China to the UK in about a week. With the right short cables or adapters this can be quite a compact solution.

OK great thanks for that feedback!!  Got the E7 on radar.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #388 of 532
Hello guys, 

Iam new with this stuff. I just went to the store and pick a iPhone 5. I want the best sound, so I searched the internet and found this great thread. 

Where Iam we dont have to many options for DAC or Amps. I do have this:

Nuforce uDac2
Fiio E17

But if I need to buy new equipment, is OK. 

Please need help to find the best portable solution. 

Thanks!

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #389 of 532

So if the E07 gets past the too much power message... do you still need the CCK cable?  Can a regular Lightning=>USB cable suffice?  I think I know the answer already... but I'd rather ask and confirm
redface.gif

Thanks!!

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #390 of 532
So if the E07 gets past the too much power message... do you still need the CCK cable?  Can a regular Lightning=>USB cable suffice?  I think I know the answer already... but I'd rather ask and confirm:xf_eek:  

Thanks!!

You guessed correctly!

First of all there isn't a regular Lightning to USB mini A plug cable. But just for you I tried the standard charge cable with an adapter to see what happened. However the iPhone isn't even aware anything has been connected. There's not even an "unsupported device" message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back