Introducing Vokyl & The Erupt Headset
Aug 19, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #346 of 403
What's the issue? Do you feel claustrophobic, without totally open-backs?

Hmmm... I have been using mine as my daily driver fo conference calls (which means at least 8 hours per day). They are pretty open... at least I can hear things around me. Maybe not the most open back (my Elex are quite open) but they are definitely not closed in my opinion...

I do a lot of GTA5 RP so I need to be able to hear myself talking normally and it was just too closed off to be able to hear myself well enough and everyting just feels off.

Sep 24, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #347 of 403
Anyone got any new shipping notices in the last month or two?
The tracker is stuck on 90% shipped for a long time, no update emails for 2 months now, and unfortunately I am part of the last 10%...
I understand covid related and other delays, but updates could go a long way to give us some info on what to expect. Drop is pretty good about weekly or bi-monthly updates for their Panda headphones shipments.

@theotherjude come on buddy, give us something :wink:

Sep 28, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #348 of 403
My pairs received about 2 months now. Never think about post any feedback here because simply this is my worst purchase of headphone ever. My initial comment is: not better then a KSC75. And of course no way take the risk to spend more on pads to "improve" them. (I tried all my pads collection around 20 pairs already)

I did the internal channel mod. Better cable and balanced give less help.
OK $300 for a lesson, was my final conclusion.

Yesterday Youtube push me a review video about the Erupt. Similar comments as most members here, the Dekoni DT Fenestrated pads will save it's sound. But as I said spend $70 more on this lesson is absolutely no way. However, why not a free try?

I heat up a solder and poke holes on 3 faces of the stock solid pads. The holes density close as the Dekoni (denser then the stock fenestrated, you may follow the cup back holes density).
Yes this pad mod restore the clarity and release the tension. You may take a try. Especially if you're struggling to spend $70 more. Try this first to get a brief view of sound improvement before place the order.

I must say this mod is not magic. And I don't think any is. The overall sound quality of this cans is far less then it's price. But with the denser fenestrated pad it's now on par with something like HD58x. That is.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #349 of 403
Mine should be arriving tomorrow! :) I don't feel like anything around $400 beats them. I have the Hart Audio cable and Elite Hybrid pads on this one I got on Ebay earlier, ofc. I would suggest HD660 as an alternative, but that one-note HD600/650/660 bass is irritating. They are lighter and more comfortable long-term, though. Erupt soundstage is incredible... Hard to not recommend, from my experience so far. We'll see if it ever reaches full stage production, though.

Oct 1, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #352 of 403
To my ears, for $400 i think it has one of the best soundstage and imaging. Angled driver plays a role. Not the best in terms of resolution. If i put hd650 soundstage, yes erupt has huge soundstage. If i put hd800 soundstage, idk this maybe 50% of em? idk hard to say but hd800 is clearly bigger. Again, im talking about soundstage here.

Oct 3, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #354 of 403
Have you ever tried Sundara or LCD-1?
Sundara, yeah. And Audeze Mobius(same sound as LCD-1, but open-back, I'm assuming?) Sundara has a very light sound with weak bass, and I have no faith in its build quality/materials. Can't specifically comment on LCD-1, but would love to hear it. Mobius had excellent sound, but got way too hot and uncomfortable with those rubbery pads and being closed. The Erupt fit on my Ebay set fits quite loose, but this new set is very tight, otherwise I have no problem with it. My custom non-painted original order is arriving today in a few hours! :D I'll post a pic

photo_2020-10-03_13-57-41.jpgphoto_2020-10-03_13-57-44.jpgphoto_2020-10-03_13-58-10.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #355 of 403
So I have had these for a while. I literally use the Erupt 8+ hours per day as my work conference call daily drivers. The most comfortable pair of headphones I have ever experienced. For voice calls the quality along with the stock pleather/leather pads is just fine, really more than fine. But when I try to use them to listen to music... they are g-a-r-b-a-g-e. I wish I could say burning dumpster fire, but a burning dumpster fire would be more useful - you could get light and heat from a dumpster fire. You get nothing of any value from the Erupt when listening to music with the stock pads, except the stench. But like others I have switched to the Dekoni Fenestrated... hmmm... not bad, not bad at all... actually pretty good... $400 headphone + $80 earpads worth of good? Heck no. Maybe $300. But I have them and I think I will be able to enjoy them. As long as I don’t think about what I paid for the headphones and Dekoni pads..

To @theotherjude / the Vokyl creators. I know you frequent Head-fi. Look, no one wants to be told their baby is ugly. But you came so close and then literally dropped the ball, forgot what you were doing, and walked away without finishing the job. Did you even listen to your creation before you said “ship it!”? As the line from the movie goes, you could have been great, you could have been a contender. Do it again, but this time, do it better.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #356 of 403
Yeah, you are correct. I absolutely love what the Erupt offers, I like the sound with NOT the stock pads and the exceptional, beautiful build. I am not as mad as other people for the awful cable, mic and pads. Heck, I didn't even get a cable, because of the balanced wiring, but they at least listened to our opinions and started customizing them so much, which is honestly rare to see such care. But I can't not be slightly mad either... it simply isn't as advertised and turned out expensive. Again, you still have great cans, just overpriced. I find it veery difficult for Erupt to beat my 180$ Sennheiser 560s. Lets say they have equal sound quality (without stock Erupt pads ofc.), add the gorgeous build quality and warm and chilling signature and they easily compete for 300$. That is what I wanted to share. Great cans, but make sure you start selling them with promised Dekoni pads and dropped price. I most likely will keep them and not think about the price too. Good luck :)

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #357 of 403
Yeah, you are correct. I absolutely love what the Erupt offers, I like the sound with NOT the stock pads and the exceptional, beautiful build. I am not as mad as other people for the awful cable, mic and pads. Heck, I didn't even get a cable, because of the balanced wiring, but they at least listened to our opinions and started customizing them so much, which is honestly rare to see such care. But I can't not be slightly mad either... it simply isn't as advertised and turned out expensive. Again, you still have great cans, just overpriced. I find it veery difficult for Erupt to beat my 180$ Sennheiser 560s. Lets say they have equal sound quality (without stock Erupt pads ofc.), add the gorgeous build quality and warm and chilling signature and they easily compete for 300$. That is what I wanted to share. Great cans, but make sure you start selling them with promised Dekoni pads and dropped price. I most likely will keep them and not think about the price too. Good luck :)
I agree the build is amazing. They are also simply gorgeous cans. And with the Dekoni pads they sound pretty good. Not exceptional, but pretty good. Add in the amazing comfort and they are a good buy for $300.

If I were to be mad at anything it would be that they really could have had a great product, even if all they had done was add the pads they originally intended. We might have all grumbled at the $400 price tag (and not bought at $500), but we wouldn’t all be panning the Erupt for what it is in stock configuration. Just imagine what could have been if they had spent a bit more time tuning them.

@theotherjude / Vokyl creators - don’t give up. Do it again, but this time better. And don’t listen to Z’s advice on tuning. Seriously. He’s a lot of fun to watch. But, between us, I think there is something really wrong with his hearing.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #358 of 403
make sure you start selling them with promised Dekoni pads
Indiegogo campaign was so long ago... I can't remember... Did they promise to ship it with Dekoni pads?? I do recall 2 different pads should be included. Right? Are they both bad enough to justify buying Dekoni pads?
I hope to get my pair soon (I am part of the last 6% that was not shipped yet) - which Dekoni pad do you guys recommend? Which size would fit, and between all the leather / fenestrated / hybrid / etc. - what is the consensus on best sounding pads for these?

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #359 of 403
Are they both bad enough to justify buying Dekoni pads?
Yep, the stock pads are terrible. The options are Dekoni Elite Sheepskin Fenestrated (the ones for the Beyerdynamic DT series) and the ZMF Ori Perforated Lambskin. Difference is (as I remember from people's reviews) the ZMF's have a bit more mid bass than Dekoni's. Most people prefer Dekoni ones for more balanced signature, but I got the ZMF pads and I'm happy with the result, they sound nicely punchy. Both pads are almost equal as I read, but definitely way better than stock!

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #360 of 403
Did they promise to ship it with Dekoni pads??
I mean, original pictures show much thicker pads with way more holes - it does look exactly like those Dekoni pads. I don't remember myself, but the word just spread that the original review pairs that reviewers liked were with the Dekoni pads, and stock pads ain't even close to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back