Introducing Vokyl & The Erupt Headset
Oct 10, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #361 of 403
Indiegogo campaign was so long ago... I can't remember... Did they promise to ship it with Dekoni pads?? I do recall 2 different pads should be included. Right? Are they both bad enough to justify buying Dekoni pads?
I hope to get my pair soon (I am part of the last 6% that was not shipped yet) - which Dekoni pad do you guys recommend? Which size would fit, and between all the leather / fenestrated / hybrid / etc. - what is the consensus on best sounding pads for these?
“Are they both bad enough to justify buying Dekoni pads?”

Yes. Yes. A thousand times, yes.

Oct 10, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #362 of 403
Already ordered a cable with a collection of "tips" from Hart Cables.
Now, adding pads - would make those $550-600 headphones!
Hopefully, with the upgraded cable and pads - it would be worth it :)

Oct 10, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #363 of 403
Already ordered a cable with a collection of "tips" from Hart Cables.
Now, adding pads - would make those $550-600 headphones!
Hopefully, with the upgraded cable and pads - it would be worth it :)
They will be good. Just don’t think about how much you spent. The headphone cost is a sunk cost. Maybe the best way to think of it is that the headphones are free (you’ve already paid for them) and the cost is just the pads and cable... Hey, they are a bargain looked at that way...

Oct 10, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #364 of 403
They will be good. Just don’t think about how much you spent. The headphone cost is a sunk cost. Maybe the best way to think of it is that the headphones are free (you’ve already paid for them) and the cost is just the pads and cable... Hey, they are a bargain looked at that way...
Good point. Yup - paid for those many moons ago...
Thanks for the tips :)

Oct 18, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #365 of 403
Another observation... the Dekoni fenestrated pads make a world of difference. But... these can’t fix one problem. There is definitely a scooped out section of the frequency - from around 1400Hz to around 3300Hz the volume is lower ((you can use https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/ to test this out). I suspect this is part of the approach (trick?) employed to improve gaming soundstage but for music listening it is not as desirable, since it hollows out human voices.

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #366 of 403
There is definitely a scooped out section of the frequency - from around 1400Hz to around 3300Hz the volume is lower. I suspect this is part of the approach (trick?) employed to improve gaming soundstage but for music listening it is not as desirable, since it hollows out human voices.
Really no complaints(only praise) for the price, and I wouldn't say I even notice it. Even though it's marketed for gaming, I'd 100% recommend it for any use. Did you notice a loss in soundstage after EQ'ing the scoop away? I haven't seen a recent FR for this thing(with Dekoni hybrid/fenestrated) in forever...

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #367 of 403
Really no complaints(only praise) for the price, and I wouldn't say I even notice it. Even though it's marketed for gaming, I'd 100% recommend it for any use. Did you notice a loss in soundstage after EQ'ing the scoop away? I haven't seen a recent FR for this thing(with Dekoni hybrid/fenestrated) in forever...
I haven’t tried to EQ the scooped portion of the FR. I will have to do that.

I don’t think they are bad headphones... but they could have been much better. And the stock pads... those are an abomination and a crime against, well, if not humanity, then at least all audiophiles.

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #368 of 403
I don’t think they are bad headphones... but they could have been much better. And the stock pads... those are an abomination and a crime against, well, if not humanity, then at least all audiophiles.
Yep, toadally agree. Took forever(and still not to "production" phase), and we got seriously scrappy components(which shouldn't have been) and different sound than the prototype. After the cable & pad upgrades, I would consider them a +soundstage headphone version of the Legacy 3 IEM(which is my current fav). But from this particularly high quality sound level, I would want to jump all the way to ~SR-007 level next, so kickstarting another headphone like this wouldn't make sense for me :\ BRB, going to get rich!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #370 of 403
I have the dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads and they're great. Has anyone tried any of the dekoni leathers on these?
It would make the bass too boomy again, most likely. And maybe cut down soundstage a bit. But the elite hybrid 50/50 mix seems great to me.

Dec 29, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #372 of 403
Does anyone have any other impressions? Has @theotherjude addressed any of the feedback about the sad pads, the non-detachable mic, and the janky cables? :sweat_smile:
Cable is super easy: I bought new cable from Hart Audio Cables. Looks and feels great. Does not have a mic (I did not want one anyhow), so 2 birds in 1 stone here :wink:
For me personally, the pads are not "sad". Don't get me wrong - I have much better pads (on other headphones), but I think people exaggerate a little about the pads...

Dec 29, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #373 of 403
Cable is super easy: I bought new cable from Hart Audio Cables. Looks and feels great. Does not have a mic (I did not want one anyhow), so 2 birds in 1 stone here :wink:
For me personally, the pads are not "sad". Don't get me wrong - I have much better pads (on other headphones), but I think people exaggerate a little about the pads...

I'm specifically interested in them for usage with an attached microphone, to complement my usage of my LCD-2 with Audeze mic (the one that ships with the LCD-GX), since my LCD-2 I keep at one office.

The problem is that they seemed to have used a very novel wiring so the only microphone cable is that stock one. :smirk:

I'm surprised you find the stock pads to be adequate -- I see so many impressions on here (and elsewhere) which tell of a vast difference sonically between third party pads like the Dekoni that these were apparently initially tuned with, and the stock pads that ended up shipping with them.

I'm not super picky about comfort on pads, but if the sound is hosed by the pads, or at least degraded significantly, that's another matter.

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #374 of 403
I'm surprised you find the stock pads to be adequate -- I see so many impressions on here (and elsewhere) which tell of a vast difference sonically between third party pads like the Dekoni that these were apparently initially tuned with, and the stock pads that ended up shipping with them.

I'm not super picky about comfort on pads, but if the sound is hosed by the pads, or at least degraded significantly, that's another matter.
I never tried 3rd party pads on the Vokyls...
With the stock pads - comfort is decent. Sound is decent.
At some point I might try 3rd party pads and see what I have been missing :wink:

Dec 29, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #375 of 403
The headband on my 2nd pair(my original backer pre-order) is really tight and has no stretch for some reason. I emailed them about it, and got no response yet. Seems to be a dead company, now that the campaign has closed. Since I've gotten pretty deep into the IEM world lately, I've been using IEMs for gaming, which absolutely sound better than the Erupt and headphones around its price... But I still feel the Erupt has top-notch sound in the headphone world at its price, or at least great potential with some EQ sweat. Though, for a basic user(FPS gamer) who just wants something good all-around out of the box, I'd say get an HD660.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back