Introducing Vokyl & The Erupt Headset
Sep 8, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #31 of 403
" Before we decided to build Erupt, we spent years using every solution on the market: high-end headsets with 3rd-party peripheral boom or desktop USB mics, wireless headsets, and lackluster all-in-one solutions. Not a single one gave us the audio experience we wanted, so we set out to build one that did. "

I like the cut of your gib! :metal::sunglasses:

Sep 8, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #32 of 403
Well, it's a bit contradictory/confusing what they say...

"Before we decided to build Erupt, we spent years using every solution on the [gaming] market: high-end headsets with 3rd-party peripheral boom or desktop USB mics, wireless headsets, and lackluster all-in-one solutions. Not a single one gave us the audio experience we wanted, so we set out to build one that did."

"Erupt’s journey began in 2016 after one of us bought a headset for our Playstation, and another, and then another, until we realized that there was literally nothing out there that had truly hi-fi grade sound, a mic, and great design."

What this tells me is...
1) They began NOTICING gaming headsets were crap in 2016.
2) They also began developing Erupt in 2016 ("so we set out to build one", "Erupt's journey began in 2016")
3) "years" of development phase market product testing/comparing means 2 years, at most.
4) It appears that PLAYSTATION gaming headsets were primarily noticed as being poor quality, to build upon, with no specific models being mentioned that Erupt has been tested against(models from 2015? 2016? 2017? 2018?)

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #33 of 403
To add to my previous questions @ post #26, is this headphone getting any major marketing? Or will it? I am sad to have seen no ads for this headphone(though I do use AdBlock...).
Currently there doesn't seem to be a focus on marketing. Haven't seen any ads myself. However, I believe they have samples in the hands of a few reviewers but reviews are yet to be done as there is still much tweaking of the sound needed.

Sep 8, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #34 of 403
What does T1 mean? Tier 1/Early-Bird?

What are the chances of hitting 100% funding, if there's only a month left, and we're at 43%/69 backers? I'd like to think there's a good chance, if this starts spreading on YouTube/Fox News with any popular gamers/streamers. I'm shooting to grab one of the $250 seats. I may need to buy 9 of them! :[

It says Erupt has been featured on Reddit, but I can't find anything there about it.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #35 of 403
What does T1 mean? Tier 1/Early-Bird?

What are the chances of hitting 100% funding, if there's only a month left, and we're at 43%/69 backers? I'd like to think there's a good chance, if this starts spreading on YouTube/Fox News with any popular gamers/streamers. I'm shooting to grab one of the $250 seats. I may need to buy 9 of them! :[
Oh yeah, I'm pretty certain they will reach their target. 43% complete with potentially a load of backers on the way once the reviews start rolling out (assuming the headphones are good enough), basically just from the trust in JDS Labs/Vokyl.

Sep 8, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #36 of 403
Oh yeah, I'm pretty certain they will reach their target. 43% complete with potentially a load of backers on the way once the reviews start rolling out (assuming the headphones are good enough), basically just from the trust in JDS Labs/Vokyl.
They only need about ~100 more backers or even less. Shouldn't be too hard..!

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #37 of 403
Looks like a quality built 'gaming' headset, any chance of a non-gaming version? Not sure if the flat ribbon-like cables will help of hinder tbh, good choice of pads and the driver looks promising!
Thanks for the kind words! Our team and most of our early listeners have been auditioning it just as much with music as with gaming. We made the mic easily detachable as well solely for this purpose. We like to see it as a great headphone with a quality boom mic included!

We've been working with headphones as team members of JDS our entire professional careers and have no qualms throwing the Erupt in the ring with the cans we've experienced at the many CanJams and local meet ups we've attended. While the gaming space is definitely where we're looking to do the most "shaking up", one of our big goals was to provide a one stop headset solution for the audiophile/high end crowd we've always worked in. :)

Sep 9, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #39 of 403
So, what headphones has the Erupt been tested against in it's development, that you can say it's better than, as a competitive gaming tool? Only mainstream gaming headsets? Headsets and mid-range headphones? Everything on the market, from bottom to top..?

There must be a specific DAC & amp recommendation(s), to get the best competitive sound with these, surely? Or have you been using JDS Labs products, mainly?

When we started out our testing, it was mostly against the most mainstream of gaming headset brands, in price ranges from $60 into the $300s. Once we established the goods and bads from those using factors like build quality, connectivity, comfort, and sound; we proceeded to test our prototypes with some local head-fiers to see how we stacked up in the $299 to $1200 headphone range.

And to be totally honest, when using a DAC/amp, we've almost exclusively been using these with JDS Labs products. We're very lucky to have access to such quality gear :wink:

Sep 9, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #40 of 403
I mean, to me, it's already "just" a ("non-gaming") headphone =p The mic on or off is the only difference!

Sep 9, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #41 of 403
So how does the campaign work? You need $50,000, but the options add up to:
- 50 x $225 ($11,250)
- 200 x $250 ($50,000)
- 200 x $275 ($55,000)
----------------
$116,250

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #42 of 403
Erupt is not balanced? Or will there be a balanced option?

Sep 10, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #43 of 403
So how does the campaign work? You need $50,000, but the options add up to:
- 50 x $225 ($11,250)
- 200 x $250 ($50,000)
- 200 x $275 ($55,000)
----------------
$116,250
Crowd funding campaigns always allow for raising more than the MINIMUM needed... there is no conflict or mistake here :wink:

Sep 10, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #44 of 403
Crowd funding campaigns always allow for raising more than the MINIMUM needed... there is no conflict or mistake here :wink:
But like, why don't they just do it so that the total = $50,000 worth of headphones? :5

The very first pair can be $3, or whatever that last odd dollar amount may be. =p

I guess the amount of headphones are decided by how many they assume can be produced quickly enough, in the early stages(?).

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #45 of 403
I guess the amount of headphones are decided by how many they assume can be produced quickly enough, in the early stages(?).
That's a question for the folks at Vokyl / JDS...
In past campaigns, I have seen multiple times that more were added to the highest price level when everything was sold out. So when the campaign closed - the amount was significantly higher than the minimum goal. As much as 10 times that amount!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back