Introducing the LCD-i3
Jul 3, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #916 of 1,041
One downside about applying these AutoEQ profiles is that they made all headphones sound alike and lost their uniqueness. In my case i3 now sounds awfully similar to AKG NC400 - all that differentiate them is the technical capability. Its fine for i3 because this is a salvage operation, but I think when all headphone are tuned the same that could be boring. This might be one of the reason why some people avoid EQing their headphone and want the original sound..

Looking forward to a properly tuned planar IEM from Audeze :)
I don’t think this is really the case, unless you have a pretty broad definition of technical capability! I have a couple older pairs of headphones (Meze 99 classics, Beyerdynamic DT770) and when listening to all three with autoEQ turned on, they still sound very different to my ears. The Beyer is a bit flat (in comparison), the Meze has strong, punchy bass and a decent soundstage but has less clarity/separation, and the i3 is… an experience. Though ironically the i3 is the one that needs EQ most to fix the weird issues of the stock tuning!

I bought one of the tripowin balanced cables and aside from one connector being a bit loose (the electrical connection is fine but it slips out more easily) they’re great. For $25 it was a very nice upgrade, though I think most of the benefit comes from switching to balanced wiring as opposed to any fine details of the cable itself.

Jul 3, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #917 of 1,041
Hey LCD-i3 owners, quick question-- is there a case I can buy for carrying these around where I can drop them in without having to remove the over-ear hooks, but which is otherwise sturdy enough to provide some protection? On days I have to go into the office I always bring them with me, and have mostly been just using the rubber in-ear hooks to keep them in my ears. I find the over-ear hooks to be superior in terms of both sound and comfort, but they're pretty flimsy. I previously owned a set of iSine 10's and the over-ear hooks are very easy to break, and I'm sure they'll break even quicker having to snap them on and off every time I want to listen; when they break, it's typically in the C-shaped plastic that attaches them to the IEM body. If I had a compact, but hard case with foam inserts, and which could keep them separate (as they're pretty strongly magnetic and I wonder if that could lead to warping the driver if they were kept touching for long periods), that would solve my problem. Any recommendations?
I think container might help but won't solve the problem completely, the C-clip of the earhook received a fair bit of stress when we put the i3 on the ear and arrange the i3 and earhook into the right place, and when the IEM got moved around on our ears. I think these are big contributors of the breakage.
I decided to just look at these hooks as consumables and ordered a bunch of them (in case they go out production).

Jul 29, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #919 of 1,041
Picked these and a dragon cable up after selling my 10s earlier this year. I'm hoping they have the resolution of the Euclid and pair well with my ifi Gryphon.

Aug 12, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #920 of 1,041
Well pretty sure I need some foamies with these just like I had with the i10s. I can't seem to get a decent seal and my preferred final audio E tips will not fit at all.

Aug 13, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #921 of 1,041
Well pretty sure I need some foamies with these just like I had with the i10s. I can't seem to get a decent seal and my preferred final audio E tips will not fit at all.
Have you tried the 'groovy' tips supplied? Remember, the recommendation is that they just create a light seal, not a normal seal that you might look for with other IEMs. In the early days, people who tried a good, 'proper' seal said it ruined the sound.

Aug 13, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #922 of 1,041
Have you tried the 'groovy' tips supplied? Remember, the recommendation is that they just create a light seal, not a normal seal that you might look for with other IEMs. In the early days, people who tried a good, 'proper' seal said it ruined the sound.
Yes I have tried them, my issues come from broken cartilage and rather large opening. So finding tips that work for me across many IEMs is a struggle to say the least. Final Audio has a LL or XL size that works really well for me but they don't fit the i3.
So if I hold them into my ears a little bit, the bass elevates and becomes clean, mids are more full sounding and treble tends st sparkle a bit more. This is why I know I need to find different tips. Dekoni's are on the way so I'll let you guys know.

Aug 13, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #924 of 1,041
What a shock! Does Dekoni's foam tip fit the i3 at all??? Which one did you get? I tried ones from Comply and they just split right away, if Dekoni would fit I will surely get it too!
The mercurys fit on my i10s with some elbow grease, so it's just an assumption that they will fit. Dekoni has a a rubber insert inside the tip so it's difficult to split.

Aug 18, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #927 of 1,041
I'm aware the LCD-i3 might not play with small ears, but how else do they fare in terms of comfort? Specifically, how do they feel inside the ear canal, do they have to be pushed in deep, can you use these for 8hrs straight?

Aug 18, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #928 of 1,041
I'm aware the LCD-i3 might not play with small ears, but how else do they fare in terms of comfort? Specifically, how do they feel inside the ear canal, do they have to be pushed in deep, can you use these for 8hrs straight?
I've been using mine all day at work. They can get annoying sometimes but nothing that unforgivable.

Aug 18, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #929 of 1,041
They don’t have to be pushed too far in to get a good sound. I use mine for 3-4 hour stretches regularly without issue.

Aug 18, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #930 of 1,041
A proper seal with the tip makes a huge difference but probably due to the shape it never need to go deep into my ears. It is fairly comfortable, the only annoyance I have is with the earhooks. If you wear them for a long time you might feel it on your ears, and sometimes the earhooks might start to rub hard on the skins. While you don't have to use these earhooks, they do add a bit more security, especially when there is this problem with the provided silicon tips: over time they become lose and could slip off the IEM very easily. If you don't use these earhook, the IEM could easily slip out of your ears. The worst part is that these earhooks breaks fairly easily, Audeze really need to run more simulation and update the design.
Despite all these shortcomings, this IEM sounds amazing IF you use EQ (its junk if you don't) !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back