Introducing the LCD-i3
Aug 19, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #931 of 1,041
For the ear hooks, you can slide a piece of silicon tubing over the hook to spread out the contact area slightly. I did it for my iSine 20s but so far, haven't felt the need to do it on my LCDi3
x_APC_0080.jpg

Aug 19, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #933 of 1,041
This is a fun combo.

Attachments

• PXL_20220819_114122644.jpg
    PXL_20220819_114122644.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Aug 19, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #934 of 1,041
Aug 19, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #935 of 1,041
Nice idea! Does this also resist breakage? I was about to try applying some polyester putty around the common fracture point (on the earhook) but your idea is much cleaner :D
I don't know if it helps strengthen them as I've never broken an ear-hook and my i3s don't have the sleeves on. I would imagine it helps a bit though. It makes them a little less flexible so I guess it would be more difficult to over-stretch them to breaking point accidentally

Aug 19, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #936 of 1,041
A proper seal with the tip makes a huge difference but probably due to the shape it never need to go deep into my ears. It is fairly comfortable, the only annoyance I have is with the earhooks. If you wear them for a long time you might feel it on your ears, and sometimes the earhooks might start to rub hard on the skins. While you don't have to use these earhooks, they do add a bit more security, especially when there is this problem with the provided silicon tips: over time they become lose and could slip off the IEM very easily. If you don't use these earhook, the IEM could easily slip out of your ears. The worst part is that these earhooks breaks fairly easily, Audeze really need to run more simulation and update the design.
Despite all these shortcomings, this IEM sounds amazing IF you use EQ (its junk if you don't) !
Don’t forget that they don’t easily fit in their carrying case without taking off the ear hooks, but that doing so stresses the part of them most likely to break! That said I’ve gotten used to the silicone tips and don’t have any real issues with them.

Having owned them for nine months now, they are without hesitation the most glorious product I would recommend to almost nobody. So many weird little flaws, but they sound downright otherworldly in the right conditions.

Aug 21, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #937 of 1,041
So I got my LCD-i3 yesterday and I have to say comfort is a non-issue! In fact, the ear hook system is ingenious and reminds me of the beloved Sony MDR-Q68LW on ear headphones with retractable cords that I used to have and were very comfortable.

The tips that work best for me are the silicone tips because the groovy tips will regularly make my ear canal itch. The ear hooks that work the best for me are the small ones, but the headphones stay put even with the large hooks. I suspect a lot people who have complained about the hooks have not realized that the hooks are meant to rotate around the earphones so that you can find the best relationship between your ear shape and the angle of entry into the ear canal. I also love the fact that the nozzle doesn't have to "bore" into the ear canal. It reminds me of the shallow fit of the Airpods Pro, which I find ultra comfy for an IEM. All this works really well and I'm really happy in terms of comfort.

As for the sound quality... first impressions are they sound great. The most comparable headphones I have are the Philips Fidelio X2. The Audeze are better. Soundstage is similar, but everything sounds a lot more clear. The Philips sounds muddier in comparison. Now waiting for a Qudelix X5 to arrive for more direct comparisons and EQ exploration.

Edit: I wish the supplied case wasn't collapsible. I don't see the point. A hard case would do a much better job at protecting everything.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #938 of 1,041
So I got my LCD-i3 yesterday and I have to say comfort is a non-issue! In fact, the ear hook system is ingenious and reminds me of the beloved Sony MDR-Q68LW on ear headphones with retractable cords that I used to have and were very comfortable.

The tips that work best for me are the silicone tips because the groovy tips will regularly make my ear canal itch. The ear hooks that work the best for me are the small ones, but the headphones stay put even with the large hooks. I suspect a lot people who have complained about the hooks have not realized that the hooks are meant to rotate around the earphones so that you can find the best relationship between your ear shape and the angle of entry into the ear canal. I also love the fact that the nozzle doesn't have to "bore" into the ear canal. It reminds me of the shallow fit of the Airpods Pro, which I find ultra comfy for an IEM. All this works really well and I'm really happy in terms of comfort.

As for the sound quality... first impressions are they sound great. The most comparable headphones I have are the Philips Fidelio X2. The Audeze are better. Soundstage is similar, but everything sounds a lot more clear. The Philips sounds muddier in comparison. Now waiting for a Qudelix X5 to arrive for more direct comparisons and EQ exploration.

Edit: I wish the supplied case wasn't collapsible. I don't see the point. A hard case would do a much better job at protecting everything.
You are supposed to use the foam inside the case.

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #940 of 1,041
Aug 21, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #942 of 1,041
I'm unable to do that without risking to break the hooks. It really seems like a poor design.
I haven't tried it yet since I use the winglets. I tried it with my 10s years ago and it worked decently without breaking them. You could also try elongating the holes to take stress off the hooks.

Aug 21, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #943 of 1,041
Problem with the ear hooks is that it is very fragile. I use mine very sporadically and one already broke. Imagine how sooner they would break by removing and reinstating every time....

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #944 of 1,041
I purchased my LCD i3 yesterday from a reputable trusted UK seller Scan .co .uk, upon opening the box which was factory sealed, I noticed that the wired cipher cable is not included, only the bluetooth cipher and the 3.5mm stock cable is included.

Is that normal, I thought the wired cipher cable is included, but clearly not.

Ive sent an email to Audeze support explaining this with pictures, asking them to send me a cipher cable as one was not included. Hopefully they send one out to me.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #945 of 1,041
Audeze as of at least a year ago quit including the cipher cable with the i3. Used to be able to buy the cipher cable by itself from Audeze for $120 (or $60 if you were a registered iSine10 or 20 owner). If you have one now better hold on to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back