Introducing the LCD-i3
Sep 21, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #946 of 1,041
I purchased my LCD i3 yesterday from a reputable trusted UK seller Scan .co .uk, upon opening the box which was factory sealed, I noticed that the wired cipher cable is not included, only the bluetooth cipher and the 3.5mm stock cable is included.

Is that normal, I thought the wired cipher cable is included, but clearly not.

Ive sent an email to Audeze support explaining this with pictures, asking them to send me a cipher cable as one was not included. Hopefully they send one out to me.

Has this happened to anyone else?
I got mine more than 3 years ago ( I sold it last year) from Headpones.com as an open box and it was included.

Sep 22, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #948 of 1,041
I sold my Lightning cipher cable a few months ago for $200 on eBay. Apple won't be using Lightning connectors forever, so IMO it's of limited use (and I don't own a single Apple product myself).

Sep 24, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #949 of 1,041
Thanks for answering, that’s a shame as I really wanted to try the wired cipher cable.

I’m currently using a Effect Audio Virtuoso balanced cable hooked up to my Qudelix 5k using the i3 EQ supplied by Crinnacle on the Qudelix app.

These IEM’s sound amazing. The bass, oh my word that bass is incredible. Great IEM’s.

I want to try the i4 at some point in my life, but I’m very happy with the i3, I don’t think I’ll be purchasing anymore headphones or IEM’s any time soon, these i3’s work well with every genre and they respond very well to EQ.

In fact, they sound excellent without any EQ applied. Audeze have done a superb job with these.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #950 of 1,041
Thanks for answering, that’s a shame as I really wanted to try the wired cipher cable.

I’m currently using a Effect Audio Virtuoso balanced cable hooked up to my Qudelix 5k using the i3 EQ supplied by Crinnacle on the Qudelix app.

These IEM’s sound amazing. The bass, oh my word that bass is incredible. Great IEM’s.

I want to try the i4 at some point in my life, but I’m very happy with the i3, I don’t think I’ll be purchasing anymore headphones or IEM’s any time soon, these i3’s work well with every genre and they respond very well to EQ.

In fact, they sound excellent without any EQ applied. Audeze have done a superb job with these.
Glad you like the i3. Yeah I'm always in awe at the bass with i4's

Oct 10, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #951 of 1,041
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how to connect the Bluetooth cipher to Samsung Android? For some reason my Samsung can’t locate the cipher cable in bluetooth, but my iphone and Mac recognise the cipher cable.

Doesn’t the Bluetooth cipher work with android?

Oct 10, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #952 of 1,041
Put it in pairing mode and it should show up.

Oct 12, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #953 of 1,041
Audeze as of at least a year ago quit including the cipher cable with the i3. Used to be able to buy the cipher cable by itself from Audeze for $120 (or $60 if you were a registered iSine10 or 20 owner). If you have one now better hold on to it.
Jesus christ, this is criminal. Nothing short of a $2k amp can even approach what the lightning CIPHERv2 cable can do for these things (the bluetooth CIPHER is a joke). With the CIPHERv2, though, these things are a dream.

With the CIPHERv2 lightning and a simple iPhone, these are less-resolving, but much more pleasing in some ineffable way, than a $3k Stax chain or a similar LCD-XC chain (DAC, amp, and drivers) of over-ear headphones than I have. I almost can't stop listening to them. I've said it before and I've said it again - it's like they massage your brain through your ears. Musical, I suppose. I'm about to try the U12ts too, but I'm feeling like they might not even hold a candle… wish me luck.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #954 of 1,041
I sold my Lightning cipher cable a few months ago for $200 on eBay. Apple won't be using Lightning connectors forever, so IMO it's of limited use (and I don't own a single Apple product myself).
Damned bargain; I would have bought it immediately just to keep as a backup if my current one kicks the bucket.

Oct 12, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #955 of 1,041
I think you're overselling the Lightning Cipher cable. The built-in EQ isn't doing that much.

I use my LCDi3 with BT Cipher and Wavelet EQ. Sounds great after the EQ. Without EQ they sound like a nasally mess. Amp doesn't matter when the tuning is so out of whack.

On my Fiio M15 with a balanced wired connection it's the same story.

Oct 13, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #956 of 1,041
My thoughts, the i3’s with a pure silver balanced cable using Qudelix 5k and the EQ supplied by crinacle on the Qudelix app works a dream. I add 3db of gain on the lower shelf. I use this via my Samsung phone LDAC, with the Dolby Movie mode on. The movie mode really opens up the soundstage.

I have the Astell and Kern Sp2000, the i3 sounds great from this DAP, both with EQ (same settings as the cipher cable and the parametric setting offered by Crinacle) and without EQ.

I can safely say that the sound coming from the £100 Qudelix is far better than the sound coming from a DAP worth 2 grand.

Just goes to show price of source isn’t anything.

Oct 13, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #957 of 1,041
My thoughts, the i3’s with a pure silver balanced cable using Qudelix 5k and the EQ supplied by crinacle on the Qudelix app works a dream. I add 3db of gain on the lower shelf. I use this via my Samsung phone LDAC, with the Dolby Movie mode on. The movie mode really opens up the soundstage.

I have the Astell and Kern Sp2000, the i3 sounds great from this DAP, both with EQ (same settings as the cipher cable and the parametric setting offered by Crinacle) and without EQ.

I can safely say that the sound coming from the £100 Qudelix is far better than the sound coming from a DAP worth 2 grand.

Just goes to show price of source isn’t anything.
Have you tried tip rolling yet? I'm kinda enjoying the elastix on them. They seal better and stay in my ears better.

Nov 1, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #958 of 1,041
I think you're overselling the Lightning Cipher cable. The built-in EQ isn't doing that much.

I use my LCDi3 with BT Cipher and Wavelet EQ. Sounds great after the EQ. Without EQ they sound like a nasally mess. Amp doesn't matter when the tuning is so out of whack.

On my Fiio M15 with a balanced wired connection it's the same story.
Audeze shared the cipher cable EQ profile with me when I emailed asking about the lightning cipher cable (it's been posted many pages back but I'm posting it here again)-- I use this profile, with a low shelf added to boost the bass by a bit (and no "shift" filter), with my 5K and love it. They are truly phenomenal headphones. I feel like this EQ choice provides a bit more clarity and detail than the auto-eq profile but it's a matter of taste.

LCD-i3-i4-target.png

I also found a very stupid solution to the ear-hooks problem: a few minutes with a Dremel to cut notches for them into the case Audeze provides. It doesn't seem to impact the rigidity of the case but I can now slip the i3's in and out of the case in seconds, with the ear-hooks on. I'm sure one can do a cleaner job cutting than I did, but it's just a case:

i3_case_cutouts.jpg

Nov 2, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #959 of 1,041
Anyone else think these sound like a baby LCDX or is it just my wacky hearing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back