Introducing the LCD-i3
Aug 27, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #121 of 1,041
what are you trying to achieve here ? From the Amazon page, it looks like the ES100 is a bluetooth receiver. The iSine BT cables can already act as a receiver. It works with AAC, SBC, AptX and AptXHD. If you want, you can also use the 3.5 mm and connect it to the ES100 and receive bluetooth signals over it. It is a little clumsy, but will work as well.

The idea was to utilize both the ldac signal from the es100 AND the benefits of the cipher EQ. The es100 does LDAC over android devices. It has a robust multi band eq but it's not parametric. A lot of us use the es100 because its built in amp and dac can make wired headphones sound better than just plugging them into a cell phone. I posted the question in the isine thread as to what wq settings might mimic the cipher tuning. Perhaps @Audeze could offer some suggestions. The anker cable is also a solution but that doesn't offer any eq. Thanks

Aug 27, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #122 of 1,041
what are you trying to achieve here ? From the Amazon page, it looks like the ES100 is a bluetooth receiver. The iSine BT cables can already act as a receiver. It works with AAC, SBC, AptX and AptXHD. If you want, you can also use the 3.5 mm and connect it to the ES100 and receive bluetooth signals over it. It is a little clumsy, but will work as well.

Your BT cable doesn't have LDAC, which is a big step up from aptx HD. And all newer Android phones have LDAC capability.

Aug 27, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #124 of 1,041
I read the comment about Samsung phones not supporting AptX HD before and now LDAC. Maybe LDAC support is more limited and that was what was meant originally.

Is that really true or is it just not an option in the phone / doesn't work for now?
I haven't checked whatever it's the truth but I just have an Xiaomi ... Note 7 so I got a bit worried and googled.
Supposedly in the settings if you tap the base version or version or whatever of the OS under "about this phone" or whatever seven times you enable the developer settings, then in the developer settings there's bluetooth audio codec and if you enter that you can choose, I also have a second entry called bluetooth audio ldac codec: playback or something such which let you change the bitrate (vs how easy it is to uphold connection.)
Maybe Samsung lacks LDAC (or and also AptX HD support) in hardware or software or maybe it can just be turned on / chosen there on a Samsung device too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxys10/comments/avqyhb/looks_like_the_s10s_still_support_ldac/
https://android.gadgethacks.com/how...io-your-galaxy-s9-with-custom-codecs-0183398/

Maybe you need to be on Oreo(8) or up to have the option. Don't know if all Oreo devices have it.

As for LDAC or not Apple has sold a ton of music distributed as AAC so I assume it would be at-least OKish to use AAC codec even if LDAC may be optimal. Of course FLAC over LDAC may/will be a bit better but for those who are ok listening to MP3s or AAC to begin..

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #127 of 1,041
Ah sorry missed it.

Cable doesn't do LDAC (do Apple devices? Is that the reason? Or just older design?)
And Samsung doesn't do AptX HD.

And looking at the images in the links I provided AptX HD is definitely missing on S9 and S10. Sad.
Weird how my 230 dollar device have it but 1000 dollar ones doesn't.

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #128 of 1,041
Ah sorry missed it.

Cable doesn't do LDAC (do Apple devices? Is that the reason? Or just older design?)

And looking at the images in the links I provided AptX HD is definitely missing on S9 and S10. Sad.

Apple devices don't do LDAC, or any kind of aptX for that matter (Qualcomm owns AptX while Sony owns LDAC)

It's frustrating that Samsung had to complicate things. Since Oreo it was pretty simple that all these codecs were just built into the OS, and thus, any Android phone that was on this version or higher.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #129 of 1,041
Ah sorry missed it.

Apple only supports AAC.

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #130 of 1,041
The amount of fragmentation with android is ridiculous. So were back to es100 with eq, bt cable or usb audio pro with a portable dac/amp with parametric eq. My i3 arrive Friday Can't wait. I'll start with my old iPhone 6s with cipher and go from there.

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #131 of 1,041
The amount of fragmentation with android is ridiculous. So were back to es100 with eq, bt cable or usb audio pro with a portable dac/amp with parametric eq. My i3 arrive Friday Can't wait. I'll start with my old iPhone 6s with cipher and go from there.

Well, I think only having one phone option is ridiculous. Choice is great. But I digress!

Look forward to hearing sound impressions of the i3. We haven't gotten much yet.

Aug 27, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #132 of 1,041
Would be nice if one could just make an XML equaliser format for instance.

And then say Audeze or that company which make profiles for headphones to make them more neutral could use that and you could just load that profile into whatever eq solution you have.

Now some would likely say that the source would have some coloration too and hence it would be useless. I don't know if that is true. (If it is sonic works would already be for that purpose without the measuring mic.)

I don't feel Android is very fragmented and if anything I wish there was more players. I totally don't really dig Google tracking wherever I go, reading all my e-mails, knowing all my contacts, knowing all videos I see, looking at all my photos. I do let them because it offer some tiny benefit and functionality for me but it seem completely stupid to let them to so.
Also the userinterface suck. The phone do all sorts of things because doing things is nothing but a click away not a gesture and as such having the phone in the pocket is enough. And as they want to sell YouTube premium you can't enable screen lock while listening to some person in a video because playback stop unless you pay for premium. You can download Youtube vanced and some G-whatever to get the functionality with like a hacked / homebrew YouTube player but that require you to trust them possibly with also inputting your password in that program. That program is likely safe but it doesn't feel very safe to use such solutions.

Also Apple support their devices for five years. Android phone makers typically support theirs for two. And that support may be poor and laggy. Mean-while Windows XP eventually was supported for over 15 years. And PC are the most open platform. So what I'm actually saying is that I would actually prefer to have a Microsoft phone. That may seem very weird but it should make some sense. I would also accept a Linux/BSD or GNU possibly things like QNX and with things like Afterstep or whatever as one as long as it had a bunch of software but we all know that typically doesn't happen.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #133 of 1,041
So, has anyone received a pair of these yet? Mine arrive Friday from the left coast via ultra slow FedEx Ground. The wait is torture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back