Introducing the LCD-i3
Sep 2, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #151 of 1,041
[Tap tap tap ...] is this thing on? (lol)

A little concerned the new owners aren't posting here with glowing comments about the virtues of this new offering. I would like to live vicariously thru you. :wink:

I love them! If not for the LCDi4, these would be some of the very best in-ears I've listened to! And as a bonus, I don't need my Hugo2 to get them to fully hit their stride. Being able to use them wirelessly with the included Bluetooth cable is a huge benefit too!

Sep 5, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #155 of 1,041
I already found an issue with the review. The reviewer states that he used the cipher cable that came with each respective headphone. Problem there is that means he used his cipher v1 with iSine 20 and v2 with the lcdi3. The two cables already have different tuning, and the v2 is balanced while the v1 is single ended. That's already gonna skew the results in the lcdi3's favor, and seeing as there is a v2 cable for the ISine 20 and 10 readily available that has a different frequency response, that info matters

Sep 5, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #156 of 1,041
I already found an issue with the review. The reviewer states that he used the cipher cable that came with each respective headphone. Problem there is that means he used his cipher v1 with iSine 20 and v2 with the lcdi3. The two cables already have different tuning, and the v2 is balanced while the v1 is single ended. That's already gonna skew the results in the lcdi3's favor, and seeing as there is a v2 cable for the ISine 20 and 10 readily available that has a different frequency response, that info matters

That's a good catch. It may not explain 100% of the reviewer's preferences but it likely affected some of it. I actually recall preferring V1 over V2 with my isine 20. When I connected the i3 to my iPhone and the Audeze HQ app, it referenced the i4 and not the isine 20 if that matters.

Sep 5, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #157 of 1,041
i read that lcdi3 has bigger bass. As of now im using isine20, the bass is enough, i dont more. Im using my 20 with cipher v2 on my s10plus. I turn on dolby atmos (movie setting), it opens up the mids and treble ridiculoously! i dont see lcdi3 is an upgrade if the the tuning is toward more body on bass. Only thing is an upgrade for me is the openness and the resolution.

Sep 5, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #158 of 1,041
Yea, as far as I know the cipher that comes with the i3 / i4 is tuned differently as well vs the isine cipher, so it would be hard to compare them based solely on that.

Sep 5, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #159 of 1,041
Yea, as far as I know the cipher that comes with the i3 / i4 is tuned differently as well vs the isine cipher, so it would be hard to compare them based solely on that.
because all of them has different distortion. Each cipher tries to compensate it and make it shines. But the v2 for isine20 is really good.

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #160 of 1,041
I have had the i3 for a week now. They sound outstanding to me. I am coming from an Edition XX and a LCD-2 classic before that. The amount of thick low end but still fast planar bass coupled with the openness is a little jarring and has to be heard to be believed particularly from such a small form factor. To me, the beauty of them is that they can be your be all end all open end planar headphones but without the need for an expensive dac/amp setup and with true portability.

My primary quibbles are (1) price - $899 is pretty steep given the quality of products available in the mid-fi price tier and (2) Audeze really needs to develop an LDAC capable BT cipher cable to bring the wireless option up a notch. The BT cable works fine and seems to be high quality but the SQ drop off is there making me question when I would actually use it. I think LDAC would be a difference maker (as it is in the Mobius). To be fair, I'm not aware of anyone else doing LDAC in an add on cable but it seems to be precisely the type of innovation that Audeze is known for. One caveat is that I have not been able to test AptxHD given the limitations of my Samsung phone.

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #161 of 1,041
Hi folks, wanted to give my thoughts and brief comparisons. I’ve had isine lx, 10, and then 20’s going down the line upgrading in search of more excitement with each model available. I was going to shoot for buying a used lcdi4 model but when I saw the release I figured I would give the lcdi3 a try first and see if I could indeed live with it. I’ve used the isine20 out and about in very loud/quiet environments for the last year or so using a silver dragon cable from moon audio. I thought the cipher cable sounded worse than any other dac/amp combo I have, so keep all I say in that context. I have no idea how the cipher on the lcdi3 sounds, but it was marked as “lcdi3, lcdi4”

In general I always thought the isine20 had light bass, thick low midrange, and crunchy sounding upper mids that can really be annoying to listen to loud if its something like heavy metal. Not a ton of high highs, and not a ton of sub lows. It had more of a mid bump, which was fine by me because I listen to Yamaha ns10’s in my studio which are known for being very mid forward and not having much bass. They definitely sounded better to me at low volume, and too honky at high volume.
All made in direct comparison to the lcdX which I use as my main studio headphones.

The lcdi3 I got yesterday, and they were on my head from about 4pm-8pm.

For fit:
I used the ear hooks and fins together, although not a perfect fit. I think the ear fins were designed to fit without the hooks. Either way, I used them together and it provided a very solid fit, and much more accurate bass seal that didn’t move around too much. I could tweak it much more to personally fit my ears. I went for a walk for about 30 minutes and did not have to adjust them once the entire time. The only thing I still can’t do is lay down on a couch or bed with my head all the way back as the tips come out of my ears just enough to lose the bass response. So I still have to wear these sitting up or standing only.

Sound Isolation/leakage:
I’m not sure if it’s a differences in the open back design, the driver, or materials, or the way I had the fitting on my ears but there was much less bleed into the headphones compared to isine20. Theres a noticeable high frequency and low rumble loss from natural outside noise that’s not coming through as well. Rather than hearing everything around me and my music, I feel like I’m able to focus more on the music in my ears and less on the outside world. It could also just be that the general frequency response and sound signature is more captivating to listen to as well.
When turned up somewhat loud and listening from a few feet away the isine 20 is mostly treble and sizzle, while the lcdi3 has a clearly different much more open sound. All this means to me, is that there is a big difference in how the open back venting is affecting the overall sound. The lcdi3 leakage would probably be more annoying to a nearby friend than the isine 20.

Sound, soundstage, imaging.
Generally most people are right in saying there’s more bass, not full size lcdx bass, it doesn’t slam and give you everything even when running through a proper headphone amp. All I can say is that the frequency response sounds very flat, smooth, and even. There’s no giant treble peak either, no bass boosts, no mid boosts or suck out. It’s slightly more warm than sharp in a treble sense. The one thing I am hearing though, is a solid stereo imaging across the frequency range. Poor headphones tend to have bass sounding more mono, and stereo treble being very far left and right. This is a little more accurate to me especially in the bass, being able to hear stereo imaging as being more separated, and mono instruments staying in the middle and not spreading to the sides when loud. This is more noticeable in pop music, and generally electronic bass stuff. I found it much more pleasing to listen to over the long period of time. 2 hours would have been fine, 4 was okay. I sine20’s I normally tire of and need a break after a little over an hour.
The soundstage too to bottom probably doesn’t really reach much higher than the isine20, but definitely reaches lower. From left to right I feel much more stereo bass information, but also somewhat of a well defined edge to the sound. This bothered me somewhat on a Schiit magni3, the dynamics were really hitting me hard, but it just felt very cramped in. I was almost ready to take them off and call it a night. Then, I decided to switch to my Schiit Asgard class A Amp, the soundstage widened just enough to really put a smile on my face, and I immediately listened to them for another hour or so.
The bigger disappointment for me is that I was expecting a bigger difference between loud sounds, and quiet sounds. In the 3D sense, I feel my lcdX’s do this realllly well. The lcdi3 doesn’t have as much of a gap between loud and quiet, but I still noticed a lot of extra clarity being delivered from songs that I hadn’t noticed before. Mp3’s Sounded much less annoying, and vinyl sounded much more detailed. I could simply hear more into fine points of the music than before and I really enjoyed them.

Story time:
While I was cooking some food, I had these hooked up to my mpow Bluetooth I was listening to the song I don’t trust myself, by John Mayer. Right after the horns come in, John comes in with a guitar solo doing a slide in. But the way it was, came from behind me just as I took a step back and I thought I had stepped on my cat. My heart stopped, I turned around to see what I had just heard and there was nothing there. I realized I had just heard the slide in, and I was just amazed that I could hear a song so many time in other earphones and I’ve never heard that slide before.

I realize this post has been very long, but ultimately I will be selling my isine20’s today, but not selling my lcdx’s. I wouldn’t have minded paying $700 for these and not even receiving any cables, because as of now I’m not using any of the stock cables.

Go get yourself some, or try them out. I’m very impressed, but also realize there’s better sound quality out there that’s possible.

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #162 of 1,041
Much thanx for the two recent reviews!

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #163 of 1,041
Hi there,

I am verry interested in these. I liked my isine 20 alot before they were stolen I was listening mostly direct from my LG V 30 or Mojo/Poly combination. I still have a FAW hybrid cable to fit these and thought about ditching the cypher cables to save some bucks. So I wanted to ask if anyone is using them with Mojo/Poly. The post from @MacedonianHero worried me a bit. Can you maybe say something about cypher vs Mojo/Poly? Since I dont plan on buying an Iphone I fear to miss the best quality possible.

Also @Audeze will there be an android app down the line?

Thanks alot for the early impressions everyone!

Cheers

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #164 of 1,041
Hi there,

I am verry interested in these. I liked my isine 20 alot before they were stolen I was listening mostly direct from my LG V 30 or Mojo/Poly combination. I still have a FAW hybrid cable to fit these and thought about ditching the cypher cables to save some bucks. So I wanted to ask if anyone is using them with Mojo/Poly. The post from @MacedonianHero worried me a bit. Can you maybe say something about cypher vs Mojo/Poly? Since I dont plan on buying an Iphone I fear to miss the best quality possible.

Also @Audeze will there be an android app down the line?

Thanks alot for the early impressions everyone!

Cheers
Unfortunately I have an iPhone X and I’m limited to AAC quality for Bluetooth. I use an mpow attached to a fiio A1, which spec-wise is just enough to power these. This very portable rig sounded okay with isine20, and killer with the lcdi3

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #165 of 1,041
Thx @aaronholttheartist for your reply. I think I will demo them at my local dealer once they made their way to Germany. I dont trust bluetooth normaly but since my phone does aptx Hd it might convert me. But I still hope that Mojo/Poly with the aftermarket cable will be a step up on quality :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back