Introducing the LCD-i3
Apr 21, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #1,006 of 1,041
Thank you for the quick reply, however disappointing it might be.
Is there a way to get the old app back?
Had it warned me I would lose support I would not have updated it.
I bought mine new in May 2020 and really expected more than 3 years of support to be honest

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #1,007 of 1,041
I bought mine new in May 2020 and really expected more than 3 years of support to be honest
Due to a technical issue, we can no longer fully support the cipher cables with the latest version of Audeze HQ. However, there are workarounds posted users can use. We'll investigate the issues you may be having with the workarounds. We apologize for any inconveniences.

Workaround:

While connected - First Tap Settings/The Firmware Update screen, THEN go back to EQ screen, and it may work as it did before.

Beyond this, the only function of the HQ app for the Cipher cable was as an 8-band equalizer. Although values will not be saved on the cable itself, many other apps offer similar functionality and will work with the Cipher cable. Ones we've tried with success are VOX, Onkyo HF Player, and Neutron, but there are many other options. There are also some apps that claim to offer system EQ, but we haven't tried them.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Apr 21, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #1,008 of 1,041
Hi, Unfortunately we do not have the old SDK library for the old app. You will have to utilize the workarounds.

We're sorry about that.
Wow. This is REALLY poor service.

An application update that completely disables an expensive product only a couple years old, with no warning and no recourse.

If this is how Audeze operates, this is certainly the last Audeze product I will purchase.

Wow. Again.

Apr 22, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #1,009 of 1,041

An application update that completely disables an expensive product only a couple years old, with no warning and no recourse.

If this is how Audeze operates, this is certainly the last Audeze product I will purchase.

Wow. Again.
Agreed. Very poorly thought out not to even warn users of the removal of support for a £900 product, although they quite happily mail-shot you all the time trying to tempt you with new products.
Coincidentally I had the chance to try the LCD5 yesterday…save your money!

Apr 22, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #1,010 of 1,041
Request to all iPhone users:
If you still have the app from a few weeks ago and haven’t updated yet, firstly DON’T
Secondly, there might be a way to extract the app from your Mac, depending on your OS and backup routine. If so maybe you could share to see if it’s possible to add back using Apple Configurator.
If you’re up for it I’m happy to DM to see if we can work something out for anyone in the same boat

Apr 22, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #1,011 of 1,041

Wow. Again.
Yea, was gonna say… I’m reconsidering my plans to buy any of their product, since they all, even flagships, rely on EQ to sound any good - and dropping support for a product that expensive that soon, does not inspire trust.

Good on them for responding at least.

Apr 24, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #1,012 of 1,041
Yea, was gonna say… I’m reconsidering my plans to buy any of their product, since they all, even flagships, rely on EQ to sound any good - and dropping support for a product that expensive that soon, does not inspire trust.

Good on them for responding at least.
I’m using the latest version of the Audeze hq app on my iPhone and after it opens it searches for a Bluetooth connection. But eventually,!when it can’t connect via Bluetooth it does give me the option to connect a wired cipher cable. When I plug my V2 cable in it recognises it, and when I go to the EQ area of the app it allows me to set the two additional presets with 10 band settings of my choice.
So it appears to still work for me when I use the V2 cipher cable that I have (which is great). This is fortunate as I only just got the cable for my i3s today (my iems are only 6 months old and didn’t come with a wired cipher cable so I bought one separately) and was a little worried that I wouldn’t be able to use the 2 other presets.
I do have a bit of a dumb question though, once I’ve set up the 2 other eq presets, how do I change between the embedded Audeze setting and my own eq presets so that I can listen to the 2 other presets?

Apr 24, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #1,013 of 1,041
I’m using the latest version of the Audeze hq app on my iPhone and after it opens it searches for a Bluetooth connection. But eventually,!when it can’t connect via Bluetooth it does give me the option to connect a wired cipher cable. When I plug my V2 cable in it recognises it, and when I go to the EQ area of the app it allows me to set the two additional presets with 10 band settings of my choice.
So it appears to still work for me when I use the V2 cipher cable that I have (which is great). This is fortunate as I only just got the cable for my i3s today (my iems are only 6 months old and didn’t come with a wired cipher cable so I bought one separately) and was a little worried that I wouldn’t be able to use the 2 other presets.
I do have a bit of a dumb question though, once I’ve set up the 2 other eq presets, how do I change between the embedded Audeze setting and my own eq presets so that I can listen to the 2 other presets?
Mine acts differently to that. If I do get the message to connect a wired headset (which is not all of the time), the EQ section is all set to 0dB and the sliders are to the left. Adjusting them is erratic and makes no difference to either the numbers on the screen, nor the sound of the i3.
My concern is that the unit resets to default and I can't get it back to my current setting, so I've deleted the app.

Clearly this is a case of saving time/money to prioritise their new 'gaming' headset rather than looking after those who spent £700-£900 on an 'audiophile' product and taking the time to write a separate app.

I was speaking to a stockist the other day when I also had a chance to try the LCD-5 and they remarked how fantastic the CS was from @Audeze. I'll make sure they're aware of this recent issue.

Re your last question, my understanding is that you can no longer send your own presets from the app to the Cipher cable, even though you can apparently set them on the app.

Apr 24, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #1,014 of 1,041
Try this:

While connected - First Tap Settings/The Firmware Update screen, THEN go back to EQ screen, and it may work as it did before.

cipher1.jpg

cipher2.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #1,015 of 1,041
I've had a bit more of a play with the cable and app and now I think I see how it works. Sorry for telling most of you how to 'suck eggs' here, but I'm still trying to figure out how this thing works.

In it's original state, before connecting it to the audeze app, the eq settings that the cable uses for playback when connected to the iPhone are native to the cable and are set for the i3/i4 (if you have the i3/i4 cable, of course). When connected through the Audeze hq app this allows you to change the native i3/i4 setting in the cable using the 10 band graphic equaliser sliders. I didn't realise, but when you create presets in the app the basis of the presets is the native i3/i4 setting (ie 0 dB on all the sliders on 'preset 1' is not a flat output through the cable, but rather no change to the native i3/i4 setting). So when you adjust the eq settings you are adding to or subtracting from the native i3/i4 setting - again, not how I thought it worked. My question was, how do I select between the different eq presets that I have created - I assumed that I could press a combination of buttons on the cable to get either the native i3/i4 setting or either of the two presets I've created in the app - not true as far as I can see. From what I can see, the EQ setting used for playback by the cable is either of the 2 presets, and it uses the last one you had selected on the Audeze hq app.

Obviously, the cable and the app need to work together for this to be useful. From my brief use, it looks like the Audeze hq app and the cable are working together as they should, in my case. When I create a preset in the Audeze hq app the cable appears to be saving that setting. To test, I created a bizarre eq in the app (something that I could easily pick from the native i3/i4 setting), then closed the app on the phone, disconnected the cable and plugged the cable back in. When I listed to a song it was obvious that the new (bizarre) setting was being used (and obviously, saved in the cable). Also, when I re-started the Audeze hq app and went into the EQ area in the app, the bizarre eq setting that I had created earlier was still showing on the eq sliders.

Apr 25, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #1,016 of 1,041
I've had a bit more of a play with the cable and app and now I think I see how it works. Sorry for telling most of you how to 'suck eggs' here, but I'm still trying to figure out how this thing works.

In it's original state, before connecting it to the audeze app, the eq settings that the cable uses for playback when connected to the iPhone are native to the cable and are set for the i3/i4 (if you have the i3/i4 cable, of course). When connected through the Audeze hq app this allows you to change the native i3/i4 setting in the cable using the 10 band graphic equaliser sliders. I didn't realise, but when you create presets in the app the basis of the presets is the native i3/i4 setting (ie 0 dB on all the sliders on 'preset 1' is not a flat output through the cable, but rather no change to the native i3/i4 setting). So when you adjust the eq settings you are adding to or subtracting from the native i3/i4 setting - again, not how I thought it worked. My question was, how do I select between the different eq presets that I have created - I assumed that I could press a combination of buttons on the cable to get either the native i3/i4 setting or either of the two presets I've created in the app - not true as far as I can see. From what I can see, the EQ setting used for playback by the cable is either of the 2 presets, and it uses the last one you had selected on the Audeze hq app.

Obviously, the cable and the app need to work together for this to be useful. From my brief use, it looks like the Audeze hq app and the cable are working together as they should, in my case. When I create a preset in the Audeze hq app the cable appears to be saving that setting. To test, I created a bizarre eq in the app (something that I could easily pick from the native i3/i4 setting), then closed the app on the phone, disconnected the cable and plugged the cable back in. When I listed to a song it was obvious that the new (bizarre) setting was being used (and obviously, saved in the cable). Also, when I re-started the Audeze hq app and went into the EQ area in the app, the bizarre eq setting that I had created earlier was still showing on the eq sliders.
Thanks for doing some more testing.
Yes, you have understood correctly how it all works in your first paragraph, the EQ in the app is simply added or subtracted to the default EQ/DSP built into the Cipher cable.
It's great that it's working for you but from my own point of view, I'm now very nervous that if I reinstall the app and tweak further, that a random, crazy EQ is sent to the cable and I can't get mine back again.
For me this would make them unusable so all things considered I'm going to leave them alone now and have deleted the app.
Now that the cable is unsupported by Audeze I don't want anything to go wrong.
I'm really surprised because without the cable and some additional, quite extreme eq from the app, the LCDi3 tuning is badly off. All the reviews I've ever seen say the same thing but they don't seem to use the Cipher cable and app, which does (for me at least) make them sound a hundred times better tuned.

Apr 25, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #1,017 of 1,041
Now that the cable is unsupported by Audeze I don't want anything to go wrong.
I'm really surprised because without the cable and some additional, quite extreme eq from the app, the LCDi3 tuning is badly off. All the reviews I've ever seen say the same thing but they don't seem to use the Cipher cable and app, which does (for me at least) make them sound a hundred times better tuned.
This is exactly my point. They have apparently just abandoned the ability to manage EQ for all of the in-ear phones using the Cipher cable. Given they sound HORRIBLE without EQ, unless you just happened to have a good EQ stored at the time they made this change, you're just out of luck. At some point, the phones will be useless - not because they wore out or something like that, but because Audeze DELIBERATELY crippled them.

Apr 25, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #1,018 of 1,041
I previously mentioned the app still works. You merely have to do the steps mentioned above.

Please confirm.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #1,019 of 1,041
This is exactly my point. They have apparently just abandoned the ability to manage EQ for all of the in-ear phones using the Cipher cable. Given they sound HORRIBLE without EQ, unless you just happened to have a good EQ stored at the time they made this change, you're just out of luck. At some point, the phones will be useless - not because they wore out or something like that, but because Audeze DELIBERATELY crippled them.
In fairness, personally, I'd use a Q5k anyway, with a better EQ etc., so there's always that option. That said, I'm still not a fan of the development either.

Apr 25, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #1,020 of 1,041
In fairness, personally, I'd use a Q5k anyway, with a better EQ etc., so there's always that option. That said, I'm still not a fan of the development either.
I’ve tried that and the Cipher seems to do something that you just can’t replicate with the 5K EQ. I tried for ages and then went back to the Cipher and VOILA! Like magic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back