Introducing the HIFIMAN Sundara Closed-Back
Sep 16, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #106 of 203
Ordered mine early August, still waiting. Hopefully not much longer!

Sep 18, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #108 of 203
Wavetheory didn't like the closed Sundara, but I wonder if he had a Lokius to EQ them then he might have liked them. To be fair, he has not heard the original Sundara and may only be comparing it to the Ananda, Arya, and Hekv2, which are in another league.

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #109 of 203
Wavetheory didn't like the closed Sundara, but I wonder if he had a Lokius to EQ them then he might have liked them. To be fair, he has not heard the original Sundara and may only be comparing it to the Ananda, Arya, and Hekv2, which are in another league.
I watched his review he says he doesn't like the mid forward and shouty vocal, he has Loki I think? But he did say mids and vocal is harder to EQ precisely.

On the contrary I love forward vocal, I'm been struggling to find a forward vocal closed back and this actually catches my attention now LOL.

Previously been looking for a closed back Grado basically but such headphone doesn't exist. So while this might not be the same but hopefully at least similar ish?

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #110 of 203
I watched his review he says he doesn't like the mid forward and shouty vocal, he has Loki I think? But he did say mids and vocal is harder to EQ precisely.

On the contrary I love forward vocal, I'm been struggling to find a forward vocal closed back and this actually catches my attention now LOL.

Previously been looking for a closed back Grado basically but such headphone doesn't exist. So while this might not be the same but hopefully at least similar ish?
Yeah I definitely don't like my vocals to be recessed. I enjoy when the vocalist is directed right into my ears on a headphone, so I'm not sure if his negatives would bother me. I guess I'll find out soon enough when my pair ships out to me.

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #111 of 203
Yeah I definitely don't like my vocals to be recessed. I enjoy when the vocalist is directed right into my ears on a headphone, so I'm not sure if his negatives would bother me. I guess I'll find out soon enough when my pair ships out to me.
lol nice, looking forward to your impression!

But yes I realize I adjust volume based on vocal loudness, if I can't hear vocal I just keep turning louder and louder until my ear start to explode. So vocal forward headphone help me keep my hearing because then I don't need to crank it so loud lol.

Sep 20, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #113 of 203
WaveTheory has posted a review on YT:

HIfiman headphones, open backs, are always midrange recessed.
So, WT seems to think they have natural mids, but they don't. The Susvara approaches having some mids..
Therefore, if the Closed Sundara has midrange, then, that is something new for the Brand, if we are discussing the HE-1000, Edition Xv2, HEKv2, HEKSE, or Susvara.

Had he compared the Sudara to a midrange annoying gear like the LCD-5, then we could have gotten some context.
But when you compare the Midrange of the Sundara to the missing or laid back, or recessed Mids of 95% of Hifimans' gear, then the "midrange foward" critique, is moot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back