Introducing the HIFIMAN EF400 Balanced Desktop DAC/Amplifier!
Sep 20, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #346 of 776
Introducing the HIFIMAN EF400 Balanced Desktop DAC/Amplifier
Designed as both an homage to the acclaimed EF6 and a statement of modern audio technology, the fully balanced EF400 features our new low-energy, high sampling HIMALAYA R2R DAC, which features an array of highly accurate resistors that use a “ladder” method of conversion. This approach converts the digital signal with maximum accuracy and overall musicality. Signal-to-noise, total harmonic distortion, and energy consumption are at their musical and efficient best.
_93A9707副本(2)(1).jpg

We have placed equal emphasis on performance, flexibility, and convenience when developing the EF400 DAC/amplifier. The fully balanced four-channel differential structure features our HIMALAYA DAC module, which supports the common PCM signal transmitted by the most common IIS (Integrated Interface of Sound) audio interface, with a maximum 24Bit resolution. When combined with a buffer, active filter and Class AB amplifier that offers the fidelity of a Class A design and efficiency of Class B architecture, the HIMALAYA DAC raises the bar for desktop DAC/amplifier performance under $600.

421A1280(1).jpg

The compact physical dimensions of the EF400 contradict its substantial output. Measuring 9.5” D x 9” W x 2.5” H, the EF400 requires the bare minimum of desktop or rack space. The front panel includes four balanced outputs – 6.35mm single-ended, 3.5mm single-ended, 4.4mm balanced, XLR four-pin balanced – in addition to a four-level function switch and volume control. The rear input panel includes jacks for USB-B and USB-C source connectors, in addition to dual (L/R) XLR three-pin full balanced line outputs, a rarity in products at this price point.

_93A9723(1)(1).jpg

Specs:
Signal to Noise Ratio: 118+/-3dB (A Weighted)
THD+N (line out) : Between 0.002% and 0.004%
Channel Separation: 125+/-3dB
Maximum Power Output: 4.4 WPC (Giving the EF400 the power to drive the majority of low-efficiency planar headphones, including HIFIMAN Electronics’ flagship model, Susvara)
Dimensions: 246.5mm(L)*228mm(W)*61mm(H)
Weight: 3.08kg

The EF400 DAC/amplifier will be available in March at a suggested retail price of $599. It will be available from authorized HIFIMAN dealers and our online store, http://store.hifiman.com/.
For additional information, visit https://hifiman.com.

***Samples will be available at the CanJam NYC 2022 on Feb 26-27! Welcome to stop by and audition!***
Hi @TeamHiFiMAN , please consider adding the following to an upgraded EF400 v2.

- Coaxial input (most wanted feature, priority 1)
- RCA analogue to headamp (priority 1)
- XLR balanced to headamp (priority 1)
- Optical input (priority 3 for me, but might be prefered by others)

I believe these features would broaden the market appeal for this device.

Sep 20, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #347 of 776
Thanks for this. Looking to upgrade from my iFi Micro iDSD BL for use with Ether2 and was strongly considering the EF400. This is the first I've heard of the EF400 being light on the bass and lacking oomph. Anyone else care to chime in on this aspect of the EF400's sound?

Also would have expected the XLR out to have the most weight of the various headphone outputs based on the specs and description by Hifiman.
Well in my case, compared to the stack the EF400 was going to replace which was a little Soncoz LA-QXD1 feeding an SPL Phonitor One, it was well punchy, lots and lots of bass. This was single ended 6.3 to HiFiMan Edition XS headphones. My problem with it was the lack of detail, I found it painted in broad strokes, missing too much colour and subtle musical clues. On massed strings for example there was little texture and depth, a vivid and clear presentation, but compared to the Soncoz and SPL quite lacking in information. I also felt there was a glare in the mid treble, which didn’t suit piano or glockenspiel very well at all (I mostly listen to classical).

But like I say, I would describe it as punchy, in fact that’s my overall impression - weight and punch. Incidentally I didn’t notice any change in sound signature over around 24 hours burn in playing to itself, I listened then and was underwhelmed, so I left it to a total of 48 hours before making a final decision. All told there were a couple of issues that made up my mind, the lack in resolution (in comparison) was the main one, but also the variable impedance and gain across the various outputs. I only had SE cable, but folk were saying it sounded different on 4.4 compared to XLR and 6.3 compared to 3.5… all in all I felt maybe HiFiMan hadn’t quite the reputation for electronics as they had for headphones and I shall be sending it back.

Edit: As regards those outputs, I couldn’t get the volume knob above 7-8 o’clock on 6.3, barely out of the channel imbalance zone, on 3.5 (I had an adapter) I couldn’t get the amp to liven up at all even at 12 o’clock on my XS - so those variables across the outputs left me feeling less than confident about the design, even though the manual explains the smaller sockets are for easy to drive headphones. There just wasn't enough information concerning which socket, with its individual characteristics, was designed for which of their own line of headphones. Plus nothing is provided about actual impedance output to convince me this wasn’t a cobbled together design, with explanations for variable performance latched on later to convince the reviewers - I may be completely wrong and HiFiMan need to up their marketing game, but by then I was already convinced.

Hope that helps 😊

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #348 of 776
Thanks yes I saw your posts - I don’t know why they make these amplifiers so loud, surely being able to properly drive a transducer is all about control not volume? Perhaps you can’t have one without the other? But you would have thought HiFiMan would have designed their amp for their headphones, with a leaflet in the box discussing which output for which headphone and why? Cough, cough @TeamHiFiMAN?
Hi there, the power output of the balanced out is 4.4w per channel, so the sound will be relatively loud. We kindly suggest you lower down the sound if you use the PC. Feel free to contact us if there is any question.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Sep 20, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #349 of 776
Hi @TeamHiFiMAN , please consider adding the following to an upgraded EF400 v2.

- Coaxial input (most wanted feature, priority 1)
- RCA analogue to headamp (priority 1)
- XLR balanced to headamp (priority 1)
- Optical input (priority 3 for me, but might be prefered by others)

I believe these features would broaden the market appeal for this device.
Hi there,thank you for your interest and support in HIFIMAN. We have forwarded your suggestions to the appropriate department for their consideration.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Sep 20, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #350 of 776
Hi there,thank you for your interest and support in HIFIMAN. We have forwarded your suggestions to the appropriate department for their consideration.
And why not I2S input too 😃

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #351 of 776
Thanks for this. Looking to upgrade from my iFi Micro iDSD BL for use with Ether2 and was strongly considering the EF400. This is the first I've heard of the EF400 being light on the bass and lacking oomph. Anyone else care to chime in on this aspect of the EF400's sound?

Also would have expected the XLR out to have the most weight of the various headphone outputs based on the specs and description by Hifiman.
In my experience, there is absolutely no lack of oomph or weight to the bass on the EF400. Also, it' really really hard to actually compare two different outputs with different volume (like single ended and balanced). If you don't volume match (and how would do it, considering you are testing the same device?) it's likely impossible to be precise.

In my testing with 4 different amp/dac/combo with volume matching the EF400 has the best bass impact and more sub-bass presence. The FiiO K3 may feel heavier, but in fact it's just a bit bloated and more mid-bass present (which, to me, it's not a good thing).
My El AMP II has a less present bass than the k3, bit it's more impactful and cleaner tho, with a little more sub-bass. The K9 has both more impact, more sub-bass and more texture than the K3 and the El AMP II.
The EF400 is more visceral, hits a bit harder than the K9 and also bring vocals and keyboards a bit forward.

Honestly I don't see a portable amp having more dynamics than the EF400. A different presentation? More bass (not sub-bass) presence? Yeah, that's possible.

Sep 20, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #352 of 776

I have not heard a portable/transportable DAC/AMP that can match the dynamics and slam of EF400 especially balanced out. Signature is neutral sounding and doesn't have the natural tonality and timbre of EF400, it can have more bass quantity with xBass on but not the quality and control of EF400. It's the matter of synergy with your headphones and nothing beats it.

EF400 has better dynamics than many desktop DAC/AMPs in its price range or above. If you have a chance, demo it.

Sep 20, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #353 of 776
Hi @TeamHiFiMAN, for the past 3 days I've noticed a few anomalies with my EF400. Twice now the unit failed to be recognized by my PC (Win 10) and rebooting the DAC did not help. It started working after I turned off both the DAC & PC.

Out of curiosity, I used my phone as source via the Type-C Input and noticed the output volume was too low. I was at 4 O' Clock on Dial (High Gain, NOS) with Edition XS (4.4 Out), I normally get enough volume at ~9 O' Clock when connected to my PC via Type-B. Phone volume was Max, tried different Apps like YouTube, UAPP (force disabled volume control) and different phones and still got low volume. I used the same cable on Windows by adding an adapter and I was getting good volume so it's not the cable either.

Since this morning, I've used the device for +4 Hours and everything seems fine now (-the low volume when connected to a phone) but I'm worried this is a sign of an imminent Hardware failure of some sort.

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #354 of 776
I have an issue with the EF400 when used as a PC DAC. It sometimes has small pops, but only when the signal is incoming. A few per minute. When the signal is muted, there are no pops. I have tried different USB ports in my PC, and USB isolators. No difference. It's like the DAC circuit loses connection for a fraction of a second and reconnects. It happens in the right channel.

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #355 of 776
I have an issue with the EF400 when used as a PC DAC. It sometimes has small pops, but only when the signal is incoming. A few per minute. When the signal is muted, there are no pops. I have tried different USB ports in my PC, and USB isolators. No difference. It's like the DAC circuit loses connection for a fraction of a second and reconnects. It happens in the right channel.
This doesn't sound normal.
Maybe you should check with a friend's PC and then contact your retailer.

Sep 21, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #357 of 776
I bought the ef400 and unfortunately in nos mode there is static background noise, turning it off and on does not solve the problem,
I understand that power conditioner can help, is there a recommendation for a good and inexpensive power conditioner?
Is there another solution?
Thanks.

Sep 22, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #359 of 776
I bought the ef400 and unfortunately in nos mode there is static background noise, turning it off and on does not solve the problem,
I understand that power conditioner can help, is there a recommendation for a good and inexpensive power conditioner?
Is there another solution?
Thanks.

Power conditioner won't help. (Tried one) Maybe U got one from the first batch or they didn't fix the issue . I returned mine because of the static noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back