Introducing the HIFIMAN EF400 Balanced Desktop DAC/Amplifier!
Sep 14, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #316 of 777
It’s not worse, but rather a little different.
Of course you have a little more volume range with SE depending on the headphone sensitivity, but a negative preamp value would also make the XLR output very usable for more sensitive headphones and give the needed headroom for potential EQ adjustments (to prevent clipping).

Here is a video of a DAC/AMP shootout mentioning the difference between SE and XLR for the EF400:

One important fact is, that the output impedance is by far the lowest with SE/6.3mm. So with low impedance cans it is best to use this port.
In fact it could very well be that the perceived difference in sound between the two ports is just a result of not testing with correct volume matching.

Yes I just noticed this review last night, been waiting for my usual guys to get the EF400 for review! I also saw the impedance figures mentioned here somewhere for the various outputs, curious how each port has a different matching characteristic - but hey, if it sound as good as everyone says who’s that bothered! I’ll get a balanced cable and try both, only way really… :relaxed:

Sep 14, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #317 of 777
Only on quieter recordings I was maxing out with LCD2C as I always use EQ (at least -3db) with it.
If you are getting EF400 and not using it's balanced out, you are not using it to it's full potential.
My recommendation is go balanced.

If you are worried about investing too much into balanced cables, I bought balanced cables for my HD6XX and LCD2C at a very reasonable price and excellent quality.
Skyaudiocables on ebay, you can check this out.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174635205229?hash=item28a911c26d:g:e6IAAOSw3BhiKfZj

There is a dedicated thread for it too.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sky-audio-cables.916261/
I am sure I use these cables with my HD600 as well, but the only problem is the outer braid casing makes them very microphonic, a slight rub on my polo shirt and it’s loud in my earcups. I’m liking the standard cable that comes with the Edition XS as it’s not microphonic at all as far as I can tell (I’m talking physical abrasion microphonics not electrical by the way). I wonder if anyone has a supplier similar pricing that offers smooth non-microphonic cables?

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #318 of 777
With the HE6seV2 with the source volume at 100%, 4 pin XLR, i'm between 12 o'clock (low volume for my ears) and 3-4 o'clock (loud without blasting my ears)...
How loud do you usually listen to music?

I’m around 70dB generally. At 80dB it’s pretty loud to me.

Sep 14, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #321 of 777
I am sure I use these cables with my HD600 as well, but the only problem is the outer braid casing makes them very microphonic, a slight rub on my polo shirt and it’s loud in my earcups. I’m liking the standard cable that comes with the Edition XS as it’s not microphonic at all as far as I can tell (I’m talking physical abrasion microphonics not electrical by the way). I wonder if anyone has a supplier similar pricing that offers smooth non-microphonic cables?
I have just tested and zero micro-phonics on my cable.
PSX_20220708_134658.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #322 of 777
I have just tested and zero micro-phonics on my cable.
Ahhh… well yours look like they are braided plastic coated wires, is that so? Mine have a multi-coloured material outer braiding which rubs constantly on my collar and sounds awful up in the earcups… a smooth coating I’m sure would be fine?
B7FFAB39-AA7A-4C67-9C5F-81A71A4E9FEC.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #323 of 777
Ahhh… well yours look like they are braided plastic coated wires, is that so? Mine have a multi-coloured material outer braiding which rubs constantly on my collar and sounds awful up in the earcups… a smooth coating I’m sure would be fine?B7FFAB39-AA7A-4C67-9C5F-81A71A4E9FEC.jpeg
Oh ok. Yes mine is plastic coated. I don't like fabric ones, so got this.

Sep 16, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #324 of 777
I did some more A/B testing on the amplification side, using the EF400 as a DAC to my EL AMP II connected via an RCA cable.
Bottoline: Yeah, amplification definitely makes a difference.

The testing was made with volume matching between the SE of my EL AMP II (which only features a single 6.35mm output) and the 3.5mm output of the EF400, with a listening level around 67-68dB with peaks around 72-74dB mainly with two tracks: Animals from Muse and Everything in It's Right Place from Radiohead, which features a pretty different soundscape and in particular I was focusing on the bass part. The headphone used is my hardest to drive: the HifiMan Sundara.

A couple word on the Sundara: it sounds almost bad on weak amps, it is thin and unpleasant with a lacking and dry bass. If you give them some juice they come to life, and this test really cemented this opinion in my mind.

During the test, I switched (the units where one to the side of the other, so I it took less than a second to unplug and plug again) from the EF400 to the EL AMP II with the song running or going back from the start (or to a specific part) multiple times. As I said I was mainly focusing on the bass and mostly on the sub bass and macrodynamics (the infamous punch and slam).

The difference was striking: the EF400 has way more sub bass presence and impact, it was like going from lacking to full satisfaction. It has a fuller, more visceral and more feel-like bass.

The EF400 is giving my Sundara a second life!

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #325 of 777
Well just this moment taken delivery of my EF400 and it looks gorgeous and is certainly heavy! Obviously no observations regarding sound yet but the first thing I noticed was how easy to move the volume control know is, I wonder if the knob pulls off? I’m thinking a thin felt washer behind would stiffen things up a bit it really could do with it.

Secondly, am I ridiculously sensitive to volume? I can’t get my Edition XS even to 8 on the large SE output socket, I’ve got balanced XLR cables coming but at that rate I doubt I could even listen at all without Roon headroom -15-20dB? I wonder does anyone else have this issue with headphone amps or is it me? I’ve always had this problem, that’s why I thought these planars would give me some headroom being low impedance and lower sensitivity than my HD600’s, and partly why I bought the EF400 as opposed to the SPL Phonitor I had (which was crazy loud!).

Just idly wondering whilst I burn the amp in a bit… 🤷‍♂️:relaxed:

Sep 16, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #326 of 777
Are you using high gain? With Edition XS using 4.4 Out, I get ~12 on volume knob (Low Gain) & ~10 on High Gain.

Also, own Sundara which is harder to drive than Edition XS and gets more volume range on the EF400.

As for channel Imbalance, I'm pretty sure there is none after 8' O Clock on the dial. I was not really looking for it so let me check and update you on that.
Sorry to bump your post! :relaxed: But I have some lovely XLR balanced cables waiting at Sky Audio cables and from what you say it seems I better change my order as even on the large single ended on the XS I can’t get above 7 to 8 o’clock !? Sounds like 4.4 would suit the headphone better than XLR? I am a little unimpressed by HiFiMan’s lack of info as to why impedance and presumably gain varies so much from output to output?

Sep 16, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #327 of 777
@timiambeing as you can see in some of my previous posts, I am having the same problem with my Arya SE.
On the balanced out I get channel imbalance as I have to keep the volume pretty low (like 9 o clock).
With the Sundara on the 3.5mm out it is fine.

Sep 16, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #328 of 777
Still a mystery for me how to calculate the volume i'm listening?!?
You can just buy a cheap decibel meter on Amazon. That's what I did.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #329 of 777
Sorry to bump your post! :relaxed: But I have some lovely XLR balanced cables waiting at Sky Audio cables and from what you say it seems I better change my order as even on the large single ended on the XS I can’t get above 7 to 8 o’clock !? Sounds like 4.4 would suit the headphone better than XLR? I am a little unimpressed by HiFiMan’s lack of info as to why impedance and presumably gain varies so much from output to output?
Sorry can't help you there, I don't have XLR Cables so won't be able to compare. Just my opinion but getting a 4.4 terminated cable might be better a purchase cause most Desktop & Portable DAC/Amps these days come with a 4.4 Out and with XLR, you will be stuck with just the Desktop setups.

Sep 16, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #330 of 777
Sorry can't help you there, I don't have XLR Cables so won't be able to compare. Just my opinion but getting a 4.4 terminated cable might be better a purchase cause most Desktop & Portable DAC/Amps these days come with a 4.4 Out and with XLR, you will be stuck with just the Desktop setups.
Thanks for the reply, that’s ok, at least if on the same headphones and amp you are getting to around 12 with 4.4 then I would be more than happy if that was the case my end… 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back