Introducing the HIFIMAN EF400 Balanced Desktop DAC/Amplifier!
Sep 12, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #301 of 777
I have a really stupid question that i hope someone can still help me out.
I have a powered speakers that i want to hook to my ef400. Whats the best way to go with this, should an rca to rca to the ef400 work or will a rca to 3.5mm be a better option here (maybe double amping?) will work better?

Also lets say i go with an rca to rca, will plugging in a headphone lets say in the 4.4mm out still work? Will both speakers and headphone play or only one of the devices will work?

Sep 12, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #302 of 777
You can use rca rca cable for your speaker but you can't control the volume on EF400. It's rather line out not pre amp. You have control the volume on the speakers.

You can connect headphones at the same time.

Sep 13, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #303 of 777
After reading all this thread I really fancy trying out the EF400, I only just bought the Edition XS a few days ago so I'm hoping I could get the special offer... have emailed so we shall see... :L3000:

What I was wanting to ask, with all the talk about the difference between different outputs, not just balanced and single ended, but kinds of balanced - XLR vs whatever the other connector is called - I was wondering if anyone can suggest the best version of balanced cable for my brand new Edition XS's?

Sep 13, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #304 of 777
After reading all this thread I really fancy trying out the EF400, I only just bought the Edition XS a few days ago so I'm hoping I could get the special offer... have emailed so we shall see... :L3000:

What I was wanting to ask, with all the talk about the difference between different outputs, not just balanced and single ended, but kinds of balanced - XLR vs whatever the other connector is called - I was wondering if anyone can suggest the best version of balanced cable for my brand new Edition XS's?
On the EF400 manual, HifiMan says that the 3.5 and 4.4 outputs are for high sensitivity devices, like IEM, while 6.3 and XLR are for low sensitivity ones, Like Headphones.

I don't have a 4.4mm cable to test the balanced outputs, but I can clearly tell there is some difference in the 3.5. vs 6.3 with the latter being substantially louder (in a very fast and inaccurate test It measured around 3-4dB louder).

If we apply this scheme to the 4.4mm vs XLR, I suggest you to use a 4.4mm as there is a big problem with volume management with this gear (as I stated In some earlier posts).

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #305 of 777
On the EF400 manual, HifiMan says that the 3.5 and 4.4 outputs are for high sensitivity devices, like IEM, while 6.3 and XLR are for low sensitivity ones, Like Headphones.

I don't have a 4.4mm cable to test the balanced outputs, but I can clearly tell there is some difference in the 3.5. vs 6.3 with the latter being substantially louder (in a very fast and inaccurate test It measured around 3-4dB louder).
Ah that makes sense, so the smaller outputs, both single ended and balanced are designed for IEM’s and the bigger sockets (for want of a technical term! 😂) are expecting harder to drive headphones… so I’ll get an XLR cable to try if I go for the EF400, I already have the 6.3 plug adapter on the end of the cable for my existing amp.

cheers

Sep 13, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #306 of 777
So here’s my second question then… :relaxed: I’ve had a couple of the Denafrips R2R DAC’s in my speaker setup, and we are always advised to leave them on, resister ladder warm and clock temperature stuff going on? As my headfi is on a ‘trundle’ delivery system (that means an IKEA bedside cabinet on wheels!) and I listen to it in several different locations as and when required, it will only be plugged in and powered up when being used. So I wonder If anyone has noticed a warm up time if the the unit is only switched on for listening and off the rest of the time? I don’t mean the initial burn in period, but in everyday use does the amp need time before it can deliver all its goodness?

Sep 13, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #309 of 777
In my experience- Yes, it does take some warm-up time for the unit to really sound it's best. Maybe 30-1hr of being turned on and playing music.
Ok, I did wonder if this might be a problem, hmmm… I’m a bit fed up with doing the same in my main hifi with tube amp and r2r DAC, I so often get it all ready and then an hour later decide to watch telly instead! :smile:

But thanks for the info, I did suspect as much but really just wondered if it was one of those audiophile ‘old wives tales‘ that somehow became accepted as fact! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #311 of 777
It’s not worse, but rather a little different.
Of course you have a little more volume range with SE depending on the headphone sensitivity, but a negative preamp value would also make the XLR output very usable for more sensitive headphones and give the needed headroom for potential EQ adjustments (to prevent clipping).

Here is a video of a DAC/AMP shootout mentioning the difference between SE and XLR for the EF400:

One important fact is, that the output impedance is by far the lowest with SE/6.3mm. So with low impedance cans it is best to use this port.
In fact it could very well be that the perceived difference in sound between the two ports is just a result of not testing with correct volume matching.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #312 of 777
How strong is the single-ended output?

I asked Passion For Sound this question, and he said it could "drive pretty much any headphone" single-ended, but a poster on here a few pages back said he was maxing out the single-ended output with even the Audeze LCD2C (which is a pretty efficient and low impedance headphone) which makes me a bit worried that it will lack power...

Could anyone see if the EF400 is able to drive semi-inefficient or high impedance headphones such as the original (non-Stealth) Arya, or HD800s single ended with authority?

Sep 14, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #313 of 777

I asked Passion For Sound this question, and he said it could "drive pretty much any headphone" single-ended, but a poster on here a few pages back said he was maxing out the single-ended output with even the Audeze LCD2C (which is a pretty efficient and low impedance headphone) which makes me a bit worried that it will lack power...

Could anyone see if the EF400 is able to drive semi-inefficient or high impedance headphones such as the original (non-Stealth) Arya, or HD800s single ended with authority?
Only on quieter recordings I was maxing out with LCD2C as I always use EQ (at least -3db) with it.
If you are getting EF400 and not using it's balanced out, you are not using it to it's full potential.
My recommendation is go balanced.

If you are worried about investing too much into balanced cables, I bought balanced cables for my HD6XX and LCD2C at a very reasonable price and excellent quality.
Skyaudiocables on ebay, you can check this out.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174635205229?hash=item28a911c26d:g:e6IAAOSw3BhiKfZj

There is a dedicated thread for it too.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sky-audio-cables.916261/

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #314 of 777

On my Sundara I can barely turn the knob and it gets very loud , even SE.
I really don’t see any HP maxing out without having heavy negative preamp.
Some folks said it gets at half knob with the HE6…
Of course at reasonable listening level and with the source at 100% volume.
Some people listen to stuff with 15db of EQ so everything is possible I guess!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back