Introducing the HIFIMAN EF400 Balanced Desktop DAC/Amplifier!
Feb 22, 2024 at 3:46 AM Post #767 of 776
Anyone manage to compare EF400 with EF499 or EF500 yet?
@chris0815 will be able to answer you in a little while since the EF400 has just arrived and in a few days he will also receive the EF500. :wink:

Feb 22, 2024 at 3:54 AM Post #768 of 776
@Polky74 I want to pair it with audeze lcd2c and prefer a mixture of fun and organic sound. Ta-22 has a tube amp, generally sounds somewhere in between analog and analytical ess sound. The only thing I’m concerned is, that tubes/r2r will muffle the sound even more, than it already is 😁
I don't know what power requirements the Audezee has, but from the specs the Hifiman is quite a bit more powerful than the Xduoo (4.5 watts versus 3 watts into 32 ohms). Then from what I read the Xduoo heats up much more because I have the EF400 and it is practically cold while in operation. In addition to this, the biggest difference remains between the two chips: the Hifiman chip is more musical and analogical, the Xduoo chip is more analytical and reference-based. If I had to choose between the two I would still take the Ef400 also because in the open-box version on the Hifiman site (well checked by Hifiman) it has very high performance and a gift price.

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #769 of 776
@delfin150 I have a audeze lcd2c and I have the EF400 (burin in running) and I'll get the EF500 in couple of days.
I'll test these and also use them as DAC only devices pairing with my Cayin HA-3A.
But I don't have a balanced cable for my audeze and that will have a big impact on the sound.
If anyone knows a "cheaper" balanced xlr or 4.4 cable for my Audezes, I would order that as well.
The original cable costs 170€ - almost half the price of the EF400..:sweat::unamused:.

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:43 AM Post #770 of 776
@delfin150 I have a audeze lcd2c and I have the EF400 (burin in running) and I'll get the EF500 in couple of days.
I'll test these and also use them as DAC only devices pairing with my Cayin HA-3A.
But I don't have a balanced cable for my audeze and that will have a big impact on the sound.
If anyone knows a "cheaper" balanced xlr or 4.4 cable for my Audezes, I would order that as well.
The original cable costs 170€ - almost half the price of the EF400..:sweat::unamused:.
I got this for the HD800S and HD650 and it's not bad at all. This is the Audezee version... (2 meter length also available in balanced XLR)

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005...p4p_id=202402220239509563764134265946855069_0

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #773 of 776
Not a lot of affordable options for R2R. Like FooFighter says, Ares II is the only reasonable alternate which is pretty expensive. There's the Audio-GD stuff but those DACs have pretty mixed opinions on sound by many and potentially high delivery costs. If you are "Ok" with some compromise in sound and usability, you can use HiBy RS2 as a DAC and Line-Out to a decent Amp like Zen CAN or get a good one like the Burson Soloist 3X Performance. I personally would avoid Topping because they seem to compress and reduce the soundstage depth a bit but YMMV. I personally have heard the Ares II and own the RS2. The Ares II as a DAC sounded a tiny bit more resolving, textured and bright compared to EF400 when using A90 Pro as an Amp. The EF400 was a bit smoother and laid back. The difference wasn't worth the cost and I can easily see some people prefering one over the other depending on their tastes and transducer paired. The RS2 just as a DAC compared to EF400 gives you that R2R flavour at the cost of slight performance downgrade. I sold my A30 Pro but did get the NX7 recently so I was able to test the DACs of EF400 vs RS2 using NX7 as an Amp. I think the EF400 is better with better dynamics (probably due to higher output voltage), much wider soundstage, slightly better detail. The RS2 has a slightly Intimate soundstage, a bit more Vocal forward presentation and it's a bit more precise with it's Imaging (probably because of the phase issue on EF400). One issue with the RS2 is that it adds a small ms of delay when using it as a DAC/Amp to a PC or Phone, not as bad as Ares II but not as immediate as EF400 either.
Not a lot of affordable options for R2R. Like FooFighter says, Ares II is the only reasonable alternate which is pretty expensive. There's the Audio-GD stuff but those DACs have pretty mixed opinions on sound by many and potentially high delivery costs. If you are "Ok" with some compromise in sound and usability, you can use HiBy RS2 as a DAC and Line-Out to a decent Amp like Zen CAN or get a good one like the Burson Soloist 3X Performance. I personally would avoid Topping because they seem to compress and reduce the soundstage depth a bit but YMMV. I personally have heard the Ares II and own the RS2. The Ares II as a DAC sounded a tiny bit more resolving, textured and bright compared to EF400 when using A90 Pro as an Amp. The EF400 was a bit smoother and laid back. The difference wasn't worth the cost and I can easily see some people prefering one over the other depending on their tastes and transducer paired. The RS2 just as a DAC compared to EF400 gives you that R2R flavour at the cost of slight performance downgrade. I sold my A30 Pro but did get the NX7 recently so I was able to test the DACs of EF400 vs RS2 using NX7 as an Amp. I think the EF400 is better with better dynamics (probably due to higher output voltage), much wider soundstage, slightly better detail. The RS2 has a slightly Intimate soundstage, a bit more Vocal forward presentation and it's a bit more precise with it's Imaging (probably because of the phase issue on EF400). One issue with the RS2 is that it adds a small ms of delay when using it as a DAC/Amp to a PC or Phone, not as bad as Ares II but not as immediate as EF400 either.

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #774 of 776

Apr 20, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #775 of 776
Not a lot of affordable options for R2R. Like FooFighter says, Ares II is the only reasonable alternate which is pretty expensive. There's the Audio-GD stuff but those DACs have pretty mixed opinions on sound by many and potentially high delivery costs.

If you are "Ok" with some compromise in sound and usability, you can use HiBy RS2 as a DAC and Line-Out to a decent Amp like Zen CAN or get a good one like the Burson Soloist 3X Performance. I personally would avoid Topping because they seem to compress and reduce the soundstage depth a bit but YMMV.

I personally have heard the Ares II and own the RS2. The Ares II as a DAC sounded a tiny bit more resolving, textured and bright compared to EF400 when using A90 Pro as an Amp. The EF400 was a bit smoother and laid back. The difference wasn't worth the cost and I can easily see some people prefering one over the other depending on their tastes and transducer paired.

The RS2 just as a DAC compared to EF400 gives you that R2R flavour at the cost of slight performance downgrade. I sold my A30 Pro but did get the NX7 recently so I was able to test the DACs of EF400 vs RS2 using NX7 as an Amp. I think the EF400 is better with better dynamics (probably due to higher output voltage), much wider soundstage, slightly better detail. The RS2 has a slightly Intimate soundstage, a bit more Vocal forward presentation and it's a bit more precise with it's Imaging (probably because of the phase issue on EF400). One issue with the RS2 is that it adds a small ms of delay when using it as a DAC/Amp to a PC or Phone, not as bad as Ares II but not as immediate as EF400 either.
I mainly listen to streaming music Amazon Music with iPad directly connected to my Harman kardon 3380 and paired with b & w 706 s2 speakers . Sometimes the setup sounds bright. Do u think hifiman Ef 400 as a DAC will suit this setup . Thanks.

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #776 of 776
I mainly listen to streaming music Amazon Music with iPad directly connected to my Harman kardon 3380 and paired with b & w 706 s2 speakers . Sometimes the setup sounds bright. Do u think hifiman Ef 400 as a DAC will suit this setup . Thanks.

I already saw your post in audioscience and Im so sorry no one replied to you even with basic answer.
You should try and see. It should. Hopefuly you can return it if it wont "warm" the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back