Introducing the HIFIMAN EF400 Balanced Desktop DAC/Amplifier!
Sep 22, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #361 of 777
Oh just out of curiosity, anyone tried running EF400 as a dac and into another amp.

Do you guys find running another amp help (or adds flavor) or the internal amp is already really good already?
I ran EF400 to Topping A30 and could not find any difference. The AMP on EF400 is very clean may be touch warmer than A30 with HD6XX but with LCD2C I couldn't discern.

Sep 22, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #362 of 777
I ran EF400 to Topping A30 and could not find any difference. The AMP on EF400 is very clean may be touch warmer than A30 with HD6XX but with LCD2C I couldn't discern.
From what I read another person tried the THX AAA amp on it also had the same impression.

Maybe because THX AAA / A30 / EF400's amp are all more on the linear/clean side of things?

So probably only beneficial if we use more colored sounding amp if we expect to be "different"?

But that's good to know though, thanks!

Sep 22, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #363 of 777
From what I read another person tried the THX AAA amp on it also had the same impression.

Maybe because THX AAA / A30 / EF400's amp are all more on the linear/clean side of things?

So probably only beneficial if we use more colored sounding amp if we expect to be "different"?

But that's good to know though, thanks!
I wouldn't call EF400 AMP sterile or dry (THX AAA is), it definitely has a touch of warmth but not as warm as something like an Asgard 3 IMO.

Sep 22, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #364 of 777
Oh just out of curiosity, anyone tried running EF400 as a dac and into another amp.

Do you guys find running another amp help (or adds flavor) or the internal amp is already really good already?
I had a Ferrum Oor/Hypsos to demo so i tried running the EF400 as Dac into it ... it was really not better to my ears then the EF400 alone...

Sep 22, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #365 of 777
Has anyone compared EF400 vs Chord Mojo 2 ?

Sep 22, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #366 of 777
I wouldn't call EF400 AMP sterile or dry (THX AAA is), it definitely has a touch of warmth but not as warm as something like an Asgard 3 IMO.
I had a Ferrum Oor/Hypsos to demo so i tried running the EF400 as Dac into it ... it was really not better to my ears then the EF400 alone...
These days I start to think that it's the synergy/pairing that matters more, and it's hard to judge 1 unit by itself.

So I will take an educated guess that when they made it a dac/amp combo Hifiman probably decided that the amp and dac on the unit itself is a good pairing.

Same thing when I tried V200 + Bifrost 2, where I find Bifrost 2 pair better with Jotunheim 2 (which makes sense lol).

Though these days I really want to try EF400 + Sundara Closed so if I ever buy both of them I might test V200 + EF400 for science LOL (or for fun).

Inspired by this picture from CANJAM:

https://headphone.guru/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/06hifiman1.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #367 of 777
Has anyone compared EF400 vs Chord Mojo 2 ?
I have not been using Mojo 2 much ever since I got RS6 which I bought because of EF400. Nothing ever sounded better to me than these R2R based devices, it can be a matter of preference but I love them.

Mojo 2 is neutral and smoother sounding with a hint of warmth but EF400 is warm, natural, smoother and dynamic sounding. Mojo 2 is really really good for a portable DAC/AMP but EF400 is in a different league altogether IMO.

Sep 22, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #368 of 777
I have not been using Mojo 2 much ever since I got RS6 which I bought because of EF400. Nothing ever sounded better to me than these R2R based devices, it can be a matter of preference but I love them.

Mojo 2 is neutral and smoother sounding with a hint of warmth but EF400 is warm, natural, smoother and dynamic sounding. Mojo 2 is really really good for a portable DAC/AMP but EF400 is in a different league altogether IMO.
I'm forever back and forth on EF400 but now you make me want to buy it now LOL.

Hifiman needs to hire you LOL jk.

Sep 22, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #369 of 777
I'm forever back and forth on EF400 but now you make me want to buy it now LOL.

Hifiman needs to hire you LOL jk.
LOL :smiley: I was actually inspired by @rev92, I bought EF400 and balanced cables after reading his review.

If you have a chance, please do demo it before pulling the trigger. If you are into warmer sound signature, you will really like it.
It has it's share of issues and no features.
1. No optical or coaxial input (I really miss the optical as I use my Cowon PM2 for JetEffects)
2. No preamp
3. Static noise (when switching between OS/NOS modes but it goes way turning the unit OFF/ON)
4. There is a slight channel imbalanced at all volumes (recent development)

The above issues don't bother me much as I like the sound so much.

Sep 23, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #370 of 777
LOL :smiley: I was actually inspired by @rev92, I bought EF400 and balanced cables after reading his review.

If you have a chance, please do demo it before pulling the trigger. If you are into warmer sound signature, you will really like it.
It has it's share of issues and no features.
1. No optical or coaxial input (I really miss the optical as I use my Cowon PM2 for JetEffects)
2. No preamp
3. Static noise (when switching between OS/NOS modes but it goes way turning the unit OFF/ON)
4. There is a slight channel imbalanced at all volumes (recent development)

The above issues don't bother me much as I like the sound so much.
LOL so what you're saying is we corrupt each other in this forum, got it. :joy:

Luckily for me:
1. I only use USB, so should be ok haha.
2. I only use headphone, doesn't need preamp.
3. my guess is that I'll probably just test it initially see which I like more (OS vs NOS) then stick to one, might be annoying but not deal breaker I think.
4. ahhhhh hopefully it's small enough it won't bug me, or hopefully it doesn't happen to all the units (channel imbalance).

The only small concern is that I listen to female vocal acoustic/rock songs. Earlier in the thread I asked people if they think this unit has enough "edge" for rock songs (snare drum, kick drum, guitar distortion) and also if it has pronounced female vocal (I like forward vocal). Last time people told me no, which made me hesitate.

Could you also clarify these again for me to be on the safe side? If I like the Grado sound for rock, would these be for me? Also does it have a somewhat pronounced female vocal? I think people were saying it's generally relaxed/laid back sound and pointed me towards something more aggressive/dynamic like Bifrost 2 or something.

This was primarily why I was on the fence.

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #371 of 777
LOL so what you're saying is we corrupt each other in this forum, got it. :joy:
Head-fi itself is corrupting all of us LOL :smile:
Luckily for me:
1. I only use USB, so should be ok haha.
2. I only use headphone, doesn't need preamp.
3. my guess is that I'll probably just test it initially see which I like more (OS vs NOS) then stick to one, might be annoying but not deal breaker I think.
4. ahhhhh hopefully it's small enough it won't bug me, or hopefully it doesn't happen to all the units (channel imbalance).

The only small concern is that I listen to female vocal acoustic/rock songs. Earlier in the thread I asked people if they think this unit has enough "edge" for rock songs (snare drum, kick drum, guitar distortion) and also if it has pronounced female vocal (I like forward vocal). Last time people told me no, which made me hesitate.

Could you also clarify these again for me to be on the safe side? If I like the Grado sound for rock, would these be for me? Also does it have a somewhat pronounced female vocal? I think people were saying it's generally relaxed/laid back sound and pointed me towards something more aggressive/dynamic like Bifrost 2 or something.

This was primarily why I was on the fence.

Thanks!
I didn't have Bifrost 2/Jot2 & EF400 at the same time, so please take my comments with a grain of salt.

I like forward vocals (enjoying HD650/6XX for more than a decade). Female vocals on EF400 are not bad at all. Drums doesn't have that snap and crispness like Jot 2 and Bifrost 2 but then again Jot 2 can get a little hot sometimes with female vocals IMO. If female vocals and drums are very important to you, Bifrost 2/Jot 2 may be a better option.

EF400 is thicker and laid back sounding than Bifrost 2/Jot 2. I tried Bifrost only with Jot 2, so I can't comment how it pairs with other AMPs.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #372 of 777
Head-fi itself is corrupting all of us LOL :smile:
:joy::joy::joy:
I like forward vocals (enjoying HD650/6XX for more than a decade). Female vocals on EF400 are not bad at all. Drums doesn't have that snap and crispness like Jot 2 and Bifrost 2 but then again Jot 2 can get a little hot sometimes with female vocals IMO. If female vocals and drums are very important to you, Bifrost 2/Jot 2 may be a better option.

EF400 is thicker and laid back sounding than Bifrost 2/Jot 2. I tried Bifrost only with Jot 2, so I can't comment how it pairs with other AMPs.
lol I just spend a lot of money on house stuff so I have some time to kind of cool off and re-think about my gear before I drop money on more gear again. So I'm sort of doing research in the mean time (while letting money accumulate).

I tried my friend's BF2/Jot2 I do think it has the right balance that I like, it's punchy and aggressive and forward vocal, but just a little bit lean/cold in overall tone (tiny bit). My current setup V200/1541 is the opposite where it's warmer and more natural sounding but a little bit more relaxed for aggressive genre like rock and vocal is a little bit laid back.

Was hoping EF400 would be a nice middle ground. But unfortunately there is nowhere that I can demo EF400 so I'm trying to gather as much info as I can, but I guess nothing beats listen to the real thing. So I might have to just jump in blind and buy one eventually....... maybe......... LOL.

Oh I tried mix and match for fun, like Jot2 + 1541 which is just terrible, and V200 + BF2 which is decent but I think I like BF2+Jot2 synergy better.

Audio is an expensive and hard hobby........... :sob:

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #373 of 777
:joy::joy::joy:

lol I just spend a lot of money on house stuff so I have some time to kind of cool off and re-think about my gear before I drop money on more gear again. So I'm sort of doing research in the mean time (while letting money accumulate).

I tried my friend's BF2/Jot2 I do think it has the right balance that I like, it's punchy and aggressive and forward vocal, but just a little bit lean/cold in overall tone (tiny bit). My current setup V200/1541 is the opposite where it's warmer and more natural sounding but a little bit more relaxed for aggressive genre like rock and vocal is a little bit laid back.

Was hoping EF400 would be a nice middle ground. But unfortunately there is nowhere that I can demo EF400 so I'm trying to gather as much info as I can, but I guess nothing beats listen to the real thing. So I might have to just jump in blind and buy one eventually....... maybe......... LOL.

Oh I tried mix and match for fun, like Jot2 + 1541 which is just terrible, and V200 + BF2 which is decent but I think I like BF2+Jot2 synergy better.

Audio is an expensive and hard hobby........... :sob:
Yes, it is an expensive Addiction Hobby that audiophile cannot stop !!!!!! Buying more, New, Used items....

If you want to STOP then stay away, delete this head-fi.org for good...... and just enjoy listening to music for what you currently have.

I promised myself not to buy anything else this year and forever then I got 4 things already:

Liric, Advar, 109 Pro, and LCD5

Sep 23, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #375 of 777
Yes, it is an expensive Addiction Hobby that audiophile cannot stop !!!!!! Buying more, New, Used items....

If you want to STOP then stay away, delete this head-fi.org for good...... and just enjoy listening to music for what you currently have.

I promised myself not to buy anything else this year and forever then I got 4 things already:

Liric, Advar, 109 Pro, and LCD5
Forgot.....2 more......
EF400 and DX300MAX Ti
You're so close, there's 3 ish months left LOLLLL.

Look on the bright side, the EF400 is like a drop in the pond compare to other items. :joy:

I hope you enjoy your new gears! Report back later on your impressions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back