IMG_1948.jpg
IMG_1950.jpg
IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1964.jpg
IMG_1968.jpg
IMG_2000.jpg

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #123 of 320
Apr 27, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #124 of 320
I'm still eagerly awaiting mine to arrive.
Now that some of them are out there, do they have the typical estat "farting"/crinkling issues?

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #126 of 320
Now that some of them are out there, do they have the typical estat "farting"/crinkling issues?
Not a lot, the AMTS insert seems to have minimized it based on my sample. Speaking of which:

IMG_2099.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

graph.png

graph.png

So far this is shaping up to be my favorite all-rounder set of headphones ever. Still need to test more, especially in the lows, but I am a big fan of the mids reproduction as well as the treble smoothness leading to the CORINA being highly resolving without being bright. Also, fantastic channel matching!

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #127 of 320
Not a lot, the AMTS insert seems to have minimized it based on my sample. Speaking of which:

IMG_2099.jpg
IMG_2097.jpg
graph.png
graph.png

So far this is shaping up to be my favorite all-rounder set of headphones ever. Still need to test more, especially in the lows, but I am a big fan of the mids reproduction as well as the treble smoothness leading to the CORINA being highly resolving without being bright. Also, fantastic channel matching!
Would have probably preferred some slight increase in the Bass tuning, but will see how it actually sounds soon.

The rest of the FR looks really good tho

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #128 of 320

Glad you're enjoying them! Look forward to how you find the Topping for those not able to swing a BHSE.... For the BHSE what tubes are you using? We scored some NOS Seimens EL34 quad sets, which are just a lovely pairing.

That looks reasonably close to what we measure. An important point to note is the 9K area sounds smoother than it measures; the AMTS implementation listening/tuning tests indicate it's pretty flat through this region...

Would have probably preferred some slight increase in the Bass tuning, but will see how it actually sounds soon.

The rest of the FR looks really good tho

I don't think you'll find this to be shy in the bass department. This is an instance where measurements deceive... That said only 1 PEQ is needed to make the bass full Harman, +3dB low shelf, Q = 1, F=150Hz

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 27, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #129 of 320
Glad you're enjoying them! Look forward to how you find the Topping for those not able to swing a BHSE.... For the BHSE what tubes are you using? We scored some NOS Seimens EL34 quad sets, which are just a lovely pairing.

That looks reasonably close to what we measure. An important point to note is the 9K area sounds smoother than it measures; the AMTS implementation listening/tuning tests indicate it's pretty flat through this region...

I don't think you'll find this to be shy in the bass department. This is an instance where measurements deceive...
Yeah, CORINA is certainly smooth in the mid-treble and not bass light. I wasn't expecting to see a bass shelf in an open-back anyway but then again you made the Expanse so that might have led to some expectations from others.

As for the Topping EHA5, it does feel like it gets most of the way there which is stunning given the cost. The only thing I'd say is it wasn't my favorite pairing with brighter e-stats (HIFIMAN Shangri-La Sr. and Jr., for example) and I'd also feed it via an R-2R DAC if I could. But given the cost, you can also just get a $500 DAC + amp combo and use digital filters from the likes of S.M.S.L or TOPPING DACs itself. The EHA5 won't be a bottleneck otherwise, it's got plenty of volts to push out even in low gain mode where I'm currently using it.

For the BHSE I go between stock tubes and PSVane red label tubes that @Makiah S suggested. The PSVanes seem to fill out the bass extension ever so slightly compared to the stock tubes, I have not tried the NOS Seimens ones but those seem ridiculously good.

Apr 27, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #130 of 320
graph.png

Since bass coupling on measurements is a complex issue, I risk saying it doesn't look any worse in the bass than the state of the art in e-stats.
The rest matters more - the slight "e-stat emphasis" around the 2-4K region still seems to be there, but it doesn't mean much per se.
Good the treble is smooth since it makes the rest of the spectrum more enjoyable.
This looks certainly good enough as far as measurements go, so let's call it a clear "passed" (which is important) -- now we can focus on the subjective impressions :).

Apr 27, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #131 of 320

IMG_2099.jpg
IMG_2097.jpg
graph.png
graph.png

Extremely well behaved FR for any headphone let alone estat.

Apr 28, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #133 of 320
Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #135 of 320

Users who are viewing this thread

Back