Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Aug 1, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #556 of 1,636
Current -- specifically the ability to quickly output a lot of it very fast. Think of impedance (Ohms) as being like how restrictive a pipe is. The smaller the pipe, the more restrictive and the higher the Ohms. So, as the Ohms go lower, the more power is required to fill the pipe, as it is larger. Voltage, on the other hand, would be like how far you could instantaneously push something through the pipe.
Ah... so even though the Jot-A can get the LCD-R sufficiently loud, its ability to react to some delta in current for a given set of frequencies may not be on par with some high end speaker amps. Correct?

Aug 1, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #557 of 1,636
Ah... so even though the Jot-A can get the LCD-R sufficiently loud, its ability to react to some delta in current for a given set of frequencies may not be on par with some high end speaker amps. Correct?
I don't think power has anything to do with the Jot-As ability to bring out the best in the LCD-R. It has more to do with the transient response. For instance, how much error is created when producing a 10khz square wave.

As far as current goes, the amp only sees the output taps. If you put resistance between the outputs and in series with the output load (the LCD-R), the amp will see it the same way it sees a planar headphone of the same load.

Aug 1, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #558 of 1,636
Aug 1, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #559 of 1,636
I am talking about the stat game as its whole. All of these highly accomplished and respected (Craig Uthus) designers tanked their respective market. DCA is barely a remnant of its potential and VOCE isn't such a success. Couple this with the niche systems throughout the years that feel more like fly-by-night today, the entire electrostatic entry is not easy.

Of course you could be a thriving success that crows my conjecture, I doubt it.

You should focus on planars, focus on ribbons and focus on lowering the price to entry.

I said last year, STAX time is coming to an end.

I do love my stats...
Our headphones were designed with a purpose and we believe we will be supply constrained for a while.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Aug 1, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #560 of 1,636
Would it be fair to say the transient response with the amount of current required for that load?
I could not answer that. For all we know, the Jot-A is simply a regular Jot but with an internal resistor. That might make the current requirements negligible. We simply don't have that info, and possibly wont be getting it any time soon. Also, I am not an amp expert. It's been a few years since I had my last electronic circuits lab :)

Aug 1, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #561 of 1,636
I could not answer that. For all we know, the Jot-A is simply a regular Jot but with an internal resistor.

Dude, I say this as a guy who doesn't even like Schiit amps despite having tried more than my fair share over the years, but you can't just drop slander like that. Not only do they have pictures and a faq up on their webpage saying that it is completely different, there's a whole chapter of the Schiit Story detailing its development.

I get it that you simply don't like the pairing with the LCD-R and think things could have been differently, but low-key smearing doesn't help anybody.

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #562 of 1,636
I could not answer that. For all we know, the Jot-A is simply a regular Jot but with an internal resistor. That might make the current requirements negligible. We simply don't have that info, and possibly wont be getting it any time soon. Also, I am not an amp expert. It's been a few years since I had my last electronic circuits lab :)
Well, that's easy to address; borrow a Jot A or Jot R...just not mine...and plug in one of your regular headphones and see what happens! Enjoy the fireworks!
Cheers and Good Luck! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #563 of 1,636
Well, that's easy to address; borrow a Jot A or Jot R...just not mine...and plug in one of your regular headphones and see what happens! Enjoy the fireworks!
Cheers and Good Luck! :beerchug:
-HK sends
I do apologize if I sounded serious, of course the Jot-A would have a very different circuitry from the OG Jot, and not just a simple resistor. I was just trying to make the point that we don't know.

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #564 of 1,636
I do apologize if I sounded serious, of course the Jot-A would have a very different circuitry from the OG Jot, and not just a simple resistor. I was just trying to make the point that we don't know.
It's okay, my comment was tongue in cheek. If you really are interested, you could try e-mailing Jason at Schiit. When he's not swamped, he's usually happy to discuss the engineering and design aspects of his amps.
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #565 of 1,636

Actually, we do know. Jason explains the whole thing here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-3731#post-15428967
The gist of it is he got presented with an engineering challenge, and unlike other times where normally their philosophy says they don't do niche products, he said $%# it and designed an amp that can drive 0.2ohm loads.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #566 of 1,636
Also, the Jot A has had the output level changed compared to the Jot R, as the LCD-R is not open baffle, and doesn't require a gain boost (along with the bass boost). I don't think it requires the bass boost either, personally.

Aug 2, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #567 of 1,636
Also, the Jot A has had the output level changed compared to the Jot R, as the LCD-R is not open baffle, and doesn't require a gain boost (along with the bass boost). I don't think it requires the bass boost either, personally.
I agree. I tried it with the bass shelf on but ended up turning it off because the sound seemed cleaner and without any bass bloat (i.e. an over abundance of bass presence)...if that makes sense.
Cheers and All the Best! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Aug 2, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #568 of 1,636
I agree. I tried it with the bass shelf on but ended up turning it off because the sound seemed cleaner and without any bass bloat (i.e. an over abundance of bass presence)...if that makes sense.
Cheers and All the Best! :beerchug:
-HK sends
I still love the addition of it, gives the User a choice

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #569 of 1,636
I still love the addition of it, gives the User a choice
Agreed, even though it wouldn’t be my default option it was fun to see how much the sound changed just be flicking a switch and on some of my music I preferred the bass shelf but for sure, to me anyway, this headphone was made with no bass shelf in mind and boy she can sing!

Aug 2, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #570 of 1,636
Actually, we do know. Jason explains the whole thing here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-3731#post-15428967
The gist of it is he got presented with an engineering challenge, and unlike other times where normally their philosophy says they don't do niche products, he said $%# it and designed an amp that can drive 0.2ohm loads.
I hadn't read that before! A very interesting read. I was surprised to hear the versatility of load capabilities he managed to squeeze out of it. Being ~3.2W at 8 Ohms and 10W at 2 Ohms, the Jot A and Jot R seem to be impressive siblings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back