Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Aug 1, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #526 of 1,636
Can anyone comment on how this compares to the HEDDphone? I know the tech is different

Tonally the HEDD was well suited for my tastes (very good slam, no recessed mids, perfect treble) had wide staging, excellent dynamics, was lightning fast -- near perfect except for the comfort issue, forcing me to sell them. I do miss them.

Aug 1, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #527 of 1,636
Can anyone comment on how this compares to the HEDDphone? I know the tech is different

Tonally the HEDD was well suited for my tastes (very good slam, no recessed mids, perfect treble) had wide staging, excellent dynamics, was lightning fast -- near perfect except for the comfort issue, forcing me to sell them. I do miss them.
I alluded they're actually quite very similar. LCD-R seems to have a little more weighted midrange and a slight treble smoothing where as the HEDD will provide a little more depth of stage and more encompassing width with a slight diffuse in imaging and more extended treble.

I'd give the edge in speed and smoothness to LCD-R, extension and dynamic response to HEDD.

I still think the HEDD is one of the most complete sounding headphones and stampedes its price bracket.

However, its atrocious headband design has quenched its ultimate potential and its appeal.

Aug 1, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #528 of 1,636
I alluded they're actually quite very similar. LCD-R seems to have a little more weighted midrange and a slight treble smoothing where as the HEDD will provide a little more depth of stage and more encompassing width with a slight diffuse in imaging and more extended treble.

I'd give the edge in speed and smoothness to LCD-R, extension and dynamic response to HEDD.

I still think the HEDD is one of the most complete sounding headphones and stampedes its price bracket.

However, its atrocious headband design has quenched its ultimate potential and its appeal.
Thanks for the response. I'm very intrigued. At least there are only 67. I had just gotten done telling my wife she wouldn't have to worry about me buying any more thousand dollar headphones since I already have my "dream setup." We were renewing our renter's insurance and I had to fully disclose how much my entire rig cost me. It still doesn't even come close to my 3 year old's preschool tuition (her choice).

Is the fazor-touching-the-ear thing as much of a dealbreaker as the HEDD's headband/weight issue?

And soon Audeze is going full electrostat? If they can pull off LCD-4 bass on it then I'm in.

Aug 1, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #529 of 1,636

Much of the dynamic range (assuming we are using the same definition) issues you have with the LCD-R can be attributed to the Jot-A. Bass extension is the same on the Jot as my speaker amp. I don't have the HEADphone to compare it to, but the LCD-R is about 3dB lower in the sub bass than the susvara, if that helps.

Aug 1, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #530 of 1,636
Thanks for the response. I'm very intrigued. At least there are only 67. I had just gotten done telling my wife she wouldn't have to worry about me buying any more thousand dollar headphones since I already have my "dream setup." We were renewing our renter's insurance and I had to fully disclose how much my entire rig cost me. It still doesn't even come close to my 3 year old's preschool tuition (her choice).

Is the fazor-touching-the-ear thing as much of a dealbreaker as the HEDD's headband/weight issue?

And soon Audeze is going full electrostat? If they can pull off LCD-4 bass on it then I'm in.
You also have to anticipate the RAAL Circumaural which is coming in September.

The Fazors touching for those it affects is not fun. I'd say equal as in either case after about an hour you start feeling discomfort which lessens the listening experience and enjoyment there-in. Both present as design defects IMO.

I'm calling the Carbon a flop. Or maybe it nails a middle-ground success. I still recall how hard Eddie Current, Cavalli Audio, Woo have flopped with their stat offerings. It's a tough game.

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #531 of 1,636
My friend has had quite a few Schiit products and for the most part they seem good at least, nothing that would scream "systemic problems" but I will say that for an amp that they are only making a small batch of you would have thought QC would be strict to make sure everything was as close to perfect as possible. I too had a grinding volume knob that I had to ask for my friend's help on. Having to pull on a chunk of aluminum to give it some space from the frame was a bit of a shock after spending $2500. First world problem for sure but it did damper my initial excitement. Luckily humans have short term memory and the enjoyment of the sound takes over, those gosh darn fazors though 😢 Also, how high on volume can y’all get before its too much? I had to tap out at around the 9 o'clock point, kinda nuts.
9 o’clock for me too. I can handle 10 o’clock for a few minutes on some songs.

Same grinding…maybe it’s a feature? “Special volume knob grinding to keep you from accidentally turning the volume up too much” lol

Fazors don’t touch my ears at all. I’m thankful.

Aug 1, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #532 of 1,636
Audeze, get a move on it and unveil this new model. The Clear MG can't hold me over much longer. Lol. Honestly, I don't even know why I jumped into mid-fi. I guess I wanted to hear the new MG model of the Clear.

Very true. I push lots of weights and have a serious neck. Even I was bothered by the weight and design. But it sounded amazing.

Aug 1, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #534 of 1,636
Audeze, get a move on it and unveil this new model. The Clear MG can't hold me over much longer. Lol. Honestly, I don't even know why I jumped into mid-fi. I guess I wanted to hear the new MG model of the Clear.
It's already leaked that the official Release will be tomorrow.

Wonder if one can order it Internationally right away

Aug 1, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #535 of 1,636
It's already leaked that the official Release will be tomorrow.

Wonder if one can order it Internationally right away
Then what is that model from Twitter with a date of 8-21-21? Lol

Then what is that model from Twitter with a date of 8-21-21? Lol
Crap, I can't read. It's 8-02-21. Hahaha. Wow.

Aug 1, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #536 of 1,636
a majority is 50% +1, but even if 100% of the 67 buyers had never heard or touch a Schiit product (and I’d bet money that’s not true), it still wouldn’t really make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things - it’s 67 units. 😅
Considering I have three versions of the Jotenheim, I'm kinda, sorta familiar with their gear. They aren't much for window dressing to be sure (heck, they didn't even offer black as an option until a few years ago), and they may not have (or choose to support) the "latest" technology, but they do provide a good, economical starting point for an audio journey...
And Jason will even admit, their products won't be everyone's cup o' tea. However, I can think of worse ways to support an "outside-the-box" product (like not offering any amp). I think Audeze (and Schiit) did good...offering a platform to start with. Just my 2 pennies from a Schiit fan. Of course the above is IMHO and YMMV...
Cheers and All the Best! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Aug 1, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #538 of 1,636
I must be one of the last ones to receive the LCD-R, as my set just continued its journey from Germany to Finland yesterday. I should have it on thursday, so still a few impatient days to go. :fearful:

Aug 1, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #539 of 1,636
Are you referring to amps? I did not know they offered electrostatic headphones?
I am talking about the stat game as its whole. All of these highly accomplished and respected (Craig Uthus) designers tanked their respective market. DCA is barely a remnant of its potential and VOCE isn't such a success. Couple this with the niche systems throughout the years that feel more like fly-by-night today, the entire electrostatic entry is not easy.

Of course you could be a thriving success that crows my conjecture, I doubt it.

You should focus on planars, focus on ribbons and focus on lowering the price to entry.

I said last year, STAX time is coming to an end.

I do love my stats...

Aug 1, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #540 of 1,636
I am talking about the stat game as its whole. All of these highly accomplished and respected (Craig Uthus) designers tanked their respective market. DCA is barely a remnant of its potential and VOCE isn't such a success. Couple this with the niche systems throughout the years that feel more like fly-by-night today, the entire electrostatic entry is not easy.

Of course you could be a thriving success that crows my conjecture, I doubt it.

You should focus on planars, focus on ribbons and focus on lowering the price to entry.

I said last year, STAX time is coming to an end.

I do love my stats...
I think everyone with skin in the stat game is chasing an affordable competitor to the HE-1. Most audio /headphone engineers will agree that the best way to increase headphone fidelity is to remove all structures in front of the diaphram, and push said diaphram with a uniform force. How would you do that? At the moment the main two options appear to be the ribbon driver and the electrostatic driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back