Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Jul 31, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #511 of 1,636
On the other side of things…the headphones are a work of art that isn’t easily captured in any of the photos that I’ve seen. Even the product photos on the site don’t do it justice…everything feels premium as well.
If I'm not mistaken, the wood is stabilized. Kinda gives it a more 3 dimensional appearance. The grill webbing and the exposed fazors also look pretty sleek.

Jul 31, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #512 of 1,636
@Sense You can easily pull the volume knob away from the chassis. Sometimes these get pushed in slightly too far and rub.
I managed to fix the rubbing slightly…but the knob is not centered on the pole that it’s connected to…so when you turn the volume knob you can see the knob sort of “wobble” as you turn it. Not sure how else to describe it. I’ll probably contact customer service about it at some point…for now it would suck to have it for a day and send it right in to get fixed. I do think it needs to be fixed…it’s is unacceptable…almost like no one inspected it before it was boxed.

It makes sound…so that’s good. I really want Audeze to partner with a different company for a higher end amp.

Jul 31, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #513 of 1,636
The LCD-R got me out of headphone retirement. I'd sold all of my gear a few years ago except for my MDR-7506 and later AirPods Max, but since my last main rig had been the first LCD-4 ever made and Schiit Mjolnir 2 + Gungnir Multibit a few years ago, I couldn't resist the collaboration. I've been listening to these headphones, and I have some initial impressions, but I'll reserve judgment for a little while until I get my thoughts fully together. :)

Jul 31, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #514 of 1,636
The LCD-R got me out of headphone retirement. I'd sold all of my gear a few years ago except for my MDR-7506 and later AirPods Max, but since my last main rig had been the first LCD-4 ever made and Schiit Mjolnir 2 + Gungnir Multibit a few years ago, I couldn't resist the collaboration. I've been listening to these headphones, and I have some initial impressions, but I'll reserve judgment for a little while until I get my thoughts fully together. :)

I think we all know what the review will be with how hard you are baiting us :wink:

Jul 31, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #515 of 1,636
You are completely missing the point here. He is not saying dont buy Schiit products. He is saying that for something specifically sold in a $2500 package the quality is lacking. I completely agree with him. Schiit products being focused on SQ over fit and finish is just fine, but its also fine to complain about that fit and finish when you are forced into one of their products with a high end setup

i have no quarrel with the complaints about the build quality nor did I voice any - just disagree with his analysis that it will impact to any discernible degree perception of Shiit - they’ve been around for a while and I suspect the majority of people who bought one of the 67 packages in this system already had an opinion about Schiit, 😊

Jul 31, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #516 of 1,636
i have no quarrel with the complaints about the build quality nor did I voice any - just disagree with his analysis that it will impact to any discernible degree perception of Shiit - they’ve been around for a while and I suspect the majority of people who bought one of the 67 packages in this system already had an opinion about Schiit, 😊

It was the first schiit product I've ever seen in person, much the less owned 🤷‍♀️

Jul 31, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #517 of 1,636
It was the first schiit product I've ever seen in person, much the less owned 🤷‍♀️
a majority is 50% +1, but even if 100% of the 67 buyers had never heard or touch a Schiit product (and I’d bet money that’s not true), it still wouldn’t really make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things - it’s 67 units. 😅

Jul 31, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #518 of 1,636

Hey, I remember those LCD-4's... :)

Jul 31, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #519 of 1,636
Well…I bought it and didn’t have a perception of them prior. This is my first experience.

This thread has been bumped to the top of the forum over 518 times. People get into high end audio through this forum and they trust the types of people who are expressing their opinion in threads like this.

At this very moment 74 people are reading this thread. 11 are members…63 are not members. Those 63 people are observing us discuss the quality of the Schiit portion of this collabo right now. I wonder how many of them are researching what to buy?

It really comes down to marketing strategy. There is a reason to make a limited product…it’s not to make money. As I have been trying to state..it’s to drum up interest in a brand. It’s very calculated…both brands have launched, or plan to launch new products close to the limited release of the LCD-R.

I’m pretty sure both companies wanted positive discussion about their brands/products out of this collaboration.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #520 of 1,636
Well…I bought it and didn’t have a perception of them prior. This is my first experience.

This thread has been bumped to the top of the forum over 518 times. People get into high end audio through this forum and they trust the types of people who are expressing their opinion in threads like this.

At this very moment 74 people are reading this thread. 11 are members…63 are not members. Those 63 people are observing us discuss the quality of the Schiit portion of this collabo right now. I wonder how many of them are researching what to buy?
This would be my first schiit product as well; I have owned RME, Fiio, Topping, Cayan, and JDS. With the exception of JDS being made of plastic, all other amps and DACs have superior build quality, fit and finish. I have already made my comments on sound quality.

I myself have based my past purchasing decisions from what I have read in forums, and only superficially trust professional reveiewers. So even if there are only 67 Jot-As out there, they still represent schiit as a company.

Aug 1, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #521 of 1,636
So even if there are only 67 Jot-As out there, they still represent schiit as a company.

Of course - and nothing said so far about Schii here is anything new. The notion that this collaboration is going to move the needle for an established company with a substantial existing customer base is puzzling. It just doesn’t make sense statistically, particularly when the complaints voiced match existing ones already out there.

The complaints about build quality on Schiit gear, even specifically complaints about the quality of controls, have been voiced many times before, so this is a known thing - it isn’t unique to this collab. I recall just from memory reading from owners of the Loki about the controls on that device being of less than stellar quality.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #522 of 1,636
This is a very popular thread. More replies in less than two weeks than many products have gotten over months.

I hope they make another Ribbon headphone for all those that didn’t get this.

Listening to some Fear Inoculum right now…sounds like I’m at a concert. Those guys have really matured as musicians. Hope they make more music.

Aug 1, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #523 of 1,636
This is a very popular thread. More replies in less than two weeks than many products have gotten over months.

I hope they make another Ribbon headphone for all those that didn’t get this.

Listening to some Fear Inoculum right now…sounds like I’m at a concert. Those guys have really matured as musicians. Hope they make more music.
Yeah I really hope thst they will release an unlimited LCD-R as well.

This year there are more Important releases my wallet has to focus on, but next year would be a good time.
(And maybe then they also allow the use of HSA-1B and similar...)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #524 of 1,636
My friend has had quite a few Schiit products and for the most part they seem good at least, nothing that would scream "systemic problems" but I will say that for an amp that they are only making a small batch of you would have thought QC would be strict to make sure everything was as close to perfect as possible. I too had a grinding volume knob that I had to ask for my friend's help on. Having to pull on a chunk of aluminum to give it some space from the frame was a bit of a shock after spending $2500. First world problem for sure but it did damper my initial excitement. Luckily humans have short term memory and the enjoyment of the sound takes over, those gosh darn fazors though 😢 Also, how high on volume can y’all get before its too much? I had to tap out at around the 9 o'clock point, kinda nuts.

Aug 1, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #525 of 1,636
The LCD-R has the same level of sensitivity as regular headphones, the difference is it requires a LOT more current.
As for the amps, the internal tech is fine. The chassis are as simple as possible to keep the price down, along with not having distributors, a marketing department, or tech support department which gives you the usual "I'm sorry to hear that you are having a problem with one of our products" line when you get in contact with them. No, the designs aren't going to beat DIY amps that would cost thousands if made and sold commercially.
The Jot R, on which the Jot A is based, is $799. There's a Schiit Happened chapter on the design, which I don't have a link to handy.
I reckon if your knob doesn't fit properly, email them and tell them that you have a wonky knob. I'm sure they'll be most amused. :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back