Introducing Shanling M7 - Portable Hi-Fi Android Player
Apr 13, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #16 of 505
Just a few differences:
M9
  • DAC – 2x AKM AK4499EQ
  • Memory – Ram 8GB, ROM 256GB
  • Amplifier – AD4610 & BUF364A & OPA1612
  • Output Power – Single-ended 460 mW@32Ohm // 920mW@32Ohm Balanced
I believe the M9 is still very much the flagship DAP in the Shanling lineup as well as being a limited model due to the limited availability of the AKM chips. It wouldn't make sense for them to release a cheaper model that competes with the flagship, especially when the M9 seems to be well received.

I'm actually curious how the M7 fares against the M8.
I think performance wise m7 will blow m8 out the water. From a sound signature stand point I'm not sure.

Apr 13, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #17 of 505
Apr 13, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #20 of 505
Reviews/impressions I've read seem to be positive. I'm referring to sound impressions, not streaming/software issues.
I understand. Yeah M9 does sound good. At least to my ears. But that applies to most modern DAPs IMO, other than matter of taste/preference. But I gotcha. I was mostly referring to SW issues.

Apr 13, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #21 of 505
I understand. Yeah M9 does sound good. At least to my ears. But that applies to most modern DAPs IMO, other than matter of taste/preference. But I gotcha. I was mostly referring to SW issues.
I don't stream so the software issues don't really bug me (no pun intended), but I do agree that given the price of some of these DAPs they shouldn't be plagued with software issues & the UI/interface is an integral part of the whole experience. It does say something that many of us who own Shanling DAPs don't actually use the native Shanling music app.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #22 of 505
Is it a dual DAC? Looks to be single.

It's single DAC, for ES9038PRO it's just fine.

not to mention better DR and S/N than the M9..... say what?

In our experience, ESS always measures better than AKM. Yet we still pick AKM as our preferred audio solution as much as we can.

@Shanling

(1) Any chance of seeing this, or any upcoming model, offering Roon Ready? (streaming to android roon app limits to 44.1, would be great to stream high res into your DAP as possibly on A&K DAPs)

(2) Would would be the Wattage output into 300 Ohm if you can share?

thanks so much - this looks like an amazing product!

1) No plans for Roon ready on our portable players. I believe the Roon app sticks to 192 kHz resampling when used with our players, apparently it's not really optimized for Audiophile DAPs that avoid Android resampling.

2) I don't think we have this specification right now, will check on it.

Does the M7 just a M9 shrink in size or it cut some other stuffs as well?

At its core, yes, M7 is shrink down M9. They are based on same Android platform and M7 adapts all new elements we released with the M9 (inner construction, single board design, etc). Biggest difference is the audio circuit.

Just a few differences:
M9
  • DAC – 2x AKM AK4499EQ
  • Memory – Ram 8GB, ROM 256GB
  • Amplifier – AD4610 & BUF364A & OPA1612
  • Output Power – Single-ended 460 mW@32Ohm // 920mW@32Ohm Balanced
I believe the M9 is still very much the flagship DAP in the Shanling lineup as well as being a limited model due to the limited availability of the AKM chips. It wouldn't make sense for them to release a cheaper model that competes with the flagship (at double the price), especially when the M9 seems to be well received.

I am curious how the M7 fares against the M8.

With our previous players, we always kept it fair when it comes to system and features. So you get the same fast CPU and system, just with some small tweaks to memory, display size and battery.

Main difference is always in the sound and here the M9 (and to some degree also M8) sits above the M7.

I think performance wise m7 will blow m8 out the water. From a sound signature stand point I'm not sure.

As always, the difference between ESS and AKM plays a big role, here we also add two different amplifier circuits. I had M8 as my main player since its release, with M7 in my hands for past few weeks, I really find it to be more about pairing to the given earphones.

On side of software it's of course quite a big jump forward for the M7.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 14, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #24 of 505
I love M9 - thankfully I didn't experience any of the intitial bugs, incredibly fast and amazing sounding DAP.
I currently have M17 and was wondering if you have tried both. Never seen M9 nor heard one. But I am very curious how it differs

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #25 of 505
Apr 14, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #26 of 505
Interesting to see Scubi here! Are you considering the M7?

Apr 14, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #28 of 505
No, just curious! Well curiosity could be dangerous 😁
Well Claude has almost the full Shanling range. I thought perhaps you are starting to collect them too! But seriously, the M7 does look interesting. Really interested in how it sounds vis-à-vis M9!

Apr 14, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #30 of 505
It definitely not going to sound better than M9 at least according to Shanling 😃
After a certain point, how a DAP sounds with your other gear may be more synergy related. The M6 PRO AKM sounds better than FIIO M15 and AK380, my last 2 DAPs. Not saying M6 Pro will outperform those DAPs with all gears. I only use Westone ES60 CIEMs. It takes so little to drive and is very sensitive. I often find some "high-end" DAPs have untamed noise level. That alone can be very distracting and affect sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back