Introducing Shanling M30 - Modular Desktop Hi-Fi Streaming Player
Jan 21, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #47 of 1,659
First the Khadas Tone2 PRO and now the Shanling M30. One of the greatest aspects of this hobby is the
creativity of many audio circuit designers at both ends of the price spectrum, looking for new ways to implement the technology. Well done! 😊

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #49 of 1,659
Android 7 in 2021?
Obsolete before even released :frowning2:
And a lesser cpu than in much cheaper players, like Hiby r6.

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #50 of 1,659
M301_resized.jpg

M30 is a unique modular device, upgradeable and customizable over time. Always keeping up with the latest technologies and your preferences.

Designed as an all-in-one device, it’s not only a high-performing DAC and headphone amplifier, but also a standalone music player with access to different music streaming services. And fully powered by its own batteries, assuring clean and stable power for the best audio performance.

We prepared detailed FAQ for the M30, where you can learn more about its design principle, modular system and many other details. You can find it in post #2

Availability – Q2 of 2021

MSRP – 3599 USD / Euro

M302_resized.jpg

Specifications:

Size & Weight: 26 x 21 x 5 cm / 3.0 kg

Modular Design: 5 Interchangeable Modules

Player Module: 6-inch 1920 x 1080 Touch screen

CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 430 8-core

Memory: 4GB RAM + 32GB ROM + SD Card slot

Streaming services: Spotify / Tidal / Qobuz / Deezer / QQ Music

DAC Module: 2x AKM AK4497 + 2x Ti OPA1662

Amplifier Module: 2x ADI ADA4610-2 + 4x Ti BUF634

Battery Power Module: 16 500 mAh

Tube Output Module: 2x Korg Nutube 6P1

Output mode: Direct/Transistor/Tube

Headphone outputs: Balanced 4-pin XLR, 4.4mm, 2.5mm, 3.5PRO / Single-ended 6.35mm, 3.5mm

Analog connectivity: RCA and XLR output, RCA input

Digital inputs: Coax / Optical / 2x USB-A / USB-B / USB-C / LAN

USB DAC input: XMOS XUF208, up to PCM 32/768 & DSD512

Wireless connectivity: Wi-Fi 2.4/5G / Bluetooth

Wi-Fi connectivity: DLNA / AirPlay / NAS / File transfer

Bluetooth Receiver: LDAC / SBC

Bluetooth transmitter: LDAC / LHDC / aptX HD / aptX / SBC

Other functions: Over-the-Air Updates / DSD Upsampling / MQA

M303_resized.jpg
Fingers crossed at this time Shanling did volume control properly not like their latest "flagships"

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #51 of 1,659
I am quiet displeased with all your negativity towards shanling.
They are unique! And only brand that put all there effort toward maximum sound quality. They offer outstanding hardware quality... Yes the software part lacks a bit behind.
But how can you all be so judgyfull on a device of this calliber!
YOU HAVEN'T EVEN heard it!!!!

This device offer dmp z1 functionality! But with much more features and opportunity to suit you prefect sound carachter!

What is it that you dont like? Because its a new way to listen to music you need to bash it and screm and wine that its not good?

Guys this is desktop performance on batteries just like dmpz1, modular is really good means you can easily upgrade in future 1 module and voila your back on track and on latest gear again!

And there is no competitor on the market against m30! No one offers this. And its 1/3 the price of dmp z1! And has streaming options!

If you want stay with daps for portability but your still limited. M30 is transportable this is not a dap lol so stop trying here.

Battery powered desktop gear is the future! Why no one understands this?

Go find me a desktop gear that cost 3.6k and has dac, amp, dap all in one? This is the cleanest and purest way to enjoy music!
No usb cables, no dirty pc, no wifi, no bluetooth all clean direct inside the same box. This is the best you can get period!

See you all in a few months lol remember my words 🤠😃🙃 nothing will touch M30 capabilities.

Tiger has spoken !
🐅🐾🔥🌪️

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #54 of 1,659
I am quiet displeased with all your negativity towards shanling.
They are unique! And only brand that put all there effort toward maximum sound quality. They offer outstanding hardware quality... Yes the software part lacks a bit behind.
But how can you all be so judgyfull on a device of this calliber!
YOU HAVEN'T EVEN heard it!!!!

This device offer dmp z1 functionality! But with much more features and opportunity to suit you prefect sound carachter!

What is it that you dont like? Because its a new way to listen to music you need to bash it and screm and wine that its not good?

Guys this is desktop performance on batteries just like dmpz1, modular is really good means you can easily upgrade in future 1 module and voila your back on track and on latest gear again!

And there is no competitor on the market against m30! No one offers this. And its 1/3 the price of dmp z1! And has streaming options!

Tiger has spoken !
🐅🐾🔥🌪

I guess you don't grasp how important the software side of things is to a streaming device running android... Apps update often and older Android versions lose support. This lack of support isn't an issue if your listening to offline files but if your wanting to stream it can become problematic. Bit perfect playback is achieved with properly function software on android, so for the software to be so lack luster at launch creates a lot of immediate worry about long lasting support

Heck as much as I enjoy Amazon HD music it's only bit-perfect up to 48/24 on it's current revision of the android app... so I still listen to Qobuz more via Usb Android Audio Player Pro. Why? Because the software side of Amazon HD music isn't up to par with the content available yet.

An no Competitor? I'm sitting here with my own Bricasti M3H running direct network stream that I control thru either JRiver media-player or Bubble UPnP, while UPnP isn't perfect there are updates constantly to itself and future firmware revisions for the M3H itself. Plus my copy of jRiver running on my desktop PC is stable and I don't need to update that. Soooo the all in one direct stream DAC that I already have it's more stable out the box than what I can see of M30

Hopefully M30 will be able to support bit-perfect playback thru the stock Tidal app, tho I strongly prefer Qobuz and have no issues with Bit-Perfect transmission thru the M3H and Bubble UPnP

Sorry to say Tiger, this looks like a Frankenstein device trying to be all things to all people without actually excelling at any one particular function.

Unless you need to run desktop headphones with a battery-powered device, I don't quite see the benefit of this over far better desktop amp/dac solutions for far less money. Also, if you're only using IEMs, you're already better off with Shanling's own M8 for $2000 less!

Sure they'll offer better components over time, but they're not going to be free - if anything they'll cost even more than standalone devices except you'll be limited to using them with the M30. I'm all for innovation a new ideas, but I see nothing innovative about this at all - merely a company trying to meld two very different use cases into one device that serves neither.

In my opinion (and it's only my opinion), this is what happens when you put a bunch of people in a room and try to make one device that suits everyone. Or, as the adage goes, a camel is what you get when you design a horse by committee. 0.02. YMMV etc. etc.

Yea these are my thoughts as well. Battery powered operation is totally cool but why make a transportable product "intended for desktop use" still without hearing it first hand it's tough to form an opinion.

@Shanling maybe M30 will see a small review tour as I'm sure those of us in this market/price point would appreciate some hands on input/impressions and reviews.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #55 of 1,659
My intent in comparing this device to the m11 pro was not to bash Shanling, or this device, it might be perfect for someone. But it costs about 500 more than my main system, which includes a streamer, a nice dac, a preamp, a speaker amp, and speakers. Just sayin'.

Jan 21, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #56 of 1,659
I guess you don't grasp how important the software side of things is to a streaming device running android... Apps update often and older Android versions lose support. This lack of support isn't an issue if your listening to offline files but if your wanting to stream it can become problematic. Bit perfect playback is achieved with properly function software on android, so for the software to be so lack luster at launch creates a lot of immediate worry about long lasting support

Heck as much as I enjoy Amazon HD music it's only bit-perfect up to 48/24 on it's current revision of the android app... so I still listen to Qobuz more via Usb Android Audio Player Pro. Why? Because the software side of Amazon HD music isn't up to par with the content available yet.

An no Competitor? I'm sitting here with my own Bricasti M3H running direct network stream that I control thru either JRiver media-player or Bubble UPnP, while UPnP isn't perfect there are updates constantly to itself and future firmware revisions for the M3H itself. Plus my copy of jRiver running on my desktop PC is stable and I don't need to update that. Soooo the all in one direct stream DAC that I already have it's more stable out the box than what I can see of M30

Hopefully M30 will be able to support bit-perfect playback thru the stock Tidal app, tho I strongly prefer Qobuz and have no issues with Bit-Perfect transmission thru the M3H and Bubble UPnP

Yea these are my thoughts as well. Battery powered operation is totally cool but why make a transportable product "intended for desktop use" still without hearing it first hand it's tough to form an opinion.

@Shanling maybe M30 will see a small review tour as I'm sure those of us in this market/price point would appreciate some hands on input/impressions and reviews.

You are still limited as you need a pc or external dap to operate your unit...
Here you have a dap inside all you have to do is add ethernet and done.

In my experience there is a downgrade using pc even worse ipads to operate a streamer...

With m30 this problem is eliminated and no quality is lost. As all is done internally!

And also no power related current fluctuations either, so clean even power all the time!

Maybe roon or hiby link kinda of feature will be added so you can operate the m30 wirelessly...

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #57 of 1,659
My intent in comparing this device to the m11 pro was not to bash Shanling, or this device, it might be perfect for someone. But it costs about 500 more than my main system, which includes a streamer, a nice dac, a preamp, a speaker amp, and speakers. Just sayin'.

Price is a non issue if it's competitive again'st existing systems/products but trying to check too many boxs simply for the sake of being an "all in one" doesn't always give anything a competitive edge, it simply drives up the bill of materials which translates into a higher cost

The A&K Kaan Kube for example seems to be a pretty robust all in one that's priced rather aggressively

You are still limited as you need a pc or external dap to operate your unit...
Here you have a dap inside all you have to do is add ethernet and done.

In my experience there is a downgrade using pc even worse ipads to operate a streamer...

With m30 this problem is eliminated and no quality is lost. As all is done internally!

Maybe roon or hiby link kinda of feature will be added so you can operate the m30 wirelessly...

How? All the PC does is send instructions to the direct streaming DAC same as an android app would, the music it self is transmitted locally thru Ethernet

Heck I can run my M3H wireless with just my cell phone, my Phone alone is enough to get my immediate playback of files on my PC, in my Google Drive [which hosts music from my Laptop and other systems I own that aren't in my current household] and thru Qobuz all bit perfect

Best of all I have 3 cellular devices I swap between, with existing capable I can swap between my Galaxy Tab S4 and my two cell phones and PC to be able to listen to what ever I want... where ever I want. All bit perfect, so what advantage does a built in graphic Interface offer me if I'm limited to just using it?

Now instead of having multiple points of control I'm limited to a single one...

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #58 of 1,659
Price is a non issue if it's competitive again'st existing systems/products but trying to check too many boxs simply for the sake of being an "all in one" doesn't always give anything a competitive edge, it simply drives up the bill of materials which translates into a higher cost

The A&K Kaan Kube for example seems to be a pretty robust all in one that's priced rather aggressively

How? All the PC does is send instructions to the direct streaming DAC same as an android app would, the music it self is transmitted locally thru Ethernet

Heck I can run my M3H wireless with just my cell phone, my Phone alone is enough to get my immediate playback of files on my PC, in my Google Drive [which hosts music from my Laptop and other systems I own that aren't in my current household] and thru Qobuz all bit perfect

Best of all I have 3 cellular devices I swap between, with existing capable I can swap between my Galaxy Tab S4 and my two cell phones and PC to be able to listen to what ever I want... where ever I want. All bit perfect, so what advantage does a built in Graphic Interface offer me if I'm limited to just using it?

I guess if you use ethernet lan connection you will by pass the dirty noises that a usb cable can transmit from pc...and stay clean that way...

But then you got the power current that you obliged to use from wall.
Its not huge but has an impact at some degree.

It also maybe not so important for you as it os for me. I need a transportable device that has desktop performance and a dap inside and operate on batteries. Cause I have no pc no internet nothing accessible.

And I never use roon or jayriver so have no need for that. So this seems simply uncomfortable for you to go toward m30 cause of inconvenience as the way you want yo use it isnt available...

Shanling may implement the jayriver and then you will have your ways...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back