Introducing Shanling M30 - Modular Desktop Hi-Fi Streaming Player
Jan 21, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #76 of 1,659
I wouldn't buy this thing unless I got a promise from Shanling that they will support this thing for at least 7-10 years with modules. I can see this not being a hit and module support dropping after 2 years.
A manufacturer ability to produce is based on how well their products are being sold. If you are a responsible consumers, you would just jump in head first to show supports, and the more jumped in, the better the chance the products would be supported, period (no company is foolish enough to abandon a great sale)

For early adopters or anyone who would happened to have jumped in and Shanling couldn’t keep up with the supports, at least they knew that they had some fun while it lasted, and that their money were not wasted but rather supported Shanling, and keep some family Fed.

Ofcourse that applied to only people who could afford it then

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #77 of 1,659
A manufacturer ability to produce is based on how well their products are being sold. If you are a responsible consumers, you would just jump in head first to show supports, and the more jumped in, the better the chance the products would be supported, period (no company is foolish enough to abandon a great sale)

For early adopters or anyone who would happened to have jumped in and Shanling couldn’t keep up with the supports, at least they knew that they had some fun while it lasted, and that their money were not wasted but rather supported Shanling, and keep some family Fed.

Ofcourse that applied to only people who could afford it then
Agreed

Jan 21, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #78 of 1,659
I think asking a 7 year support is stretching the mile quiet a bit.
Maybe 5 years tops as new more inovative technologies will be available

I think if you look at totl daps like a&k sony lpgt n8 and now p6 pro they all cost more then m30 !

And they offer wayyyy less then what you get from m30!
Are you also going to say that those brands should not release daps every year? Wait 5 years please? No.
They releases daps every 2 years and at full woble crazy 3 8k Now!

So if take that into consideration M30 is a bargain....

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #79 of 1,659
I think asking a 7 year support is stretching the mile quiet a bit.
Maybe 5 years tops as new more inovative technologies will be available
Nah, the M30 was made to be future proofed. Everything could be swapped out, and 10 years from now, if the products received overwhelming sale in numbers, you may see a digital modules with AK99999 Quad DAC, and Quantum Matrix Activated discrete amplifications ....

Ok, I exaggerated it, but I meant it, the M30 is to be future proof as long as it see a strong sale number steady enough that module development can still be viable

Jan 21, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #80 of 1,659
Nah, the M30 was made to be future proofed. Everything could be swapped out, and 10 years from now, if the products received overwhelming sale in numbers, you may see a digital modules with AK99999 Quad DAC, and Quantum Matrix Activated discrete amplifications ....
Problems I see:
a. That future digital modules with AK99999 Quad DAC would cost another $1500-2000... The same as a complete A&K DAP. So upgrade would be as expensive as just buying a high-end DAP.
b. What do you do with the module that came stock with the M30? Nobody would buy it used, because everyone already got it (with their M30). So basically resale value of modules is $0.

Jan 21, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #81 of 1,659
Problems I see:
a. That future digital modules with AK99999 Quad DAC would cost another $1500-2000... The same as a complete A&K DAP. So upgrade would be as expensive as just buying a high-end DAP.
b. What do you do with the module that came stock with the M30? Nobody would buy it used, because everyone already got it (with their M30). So basically resale value of modules is $0.
That is the problems that I brought up previously. Honestly, for this, I would buy a DAP, or Dedicated DAP-Line out like N6 II-A02, and Cayin C9. That means I can sell either the C9 or the N6ii and stack on the thing I wants. Now with M30, you have to be within Shanling, and if module trading becomes a thing, you would have already reduced your %90 of buyer based because it has to be M30 owners, where as with a dedicated Stack, you can move on and always have your stuff sold (price is the decisive factor then)

**Unless** Trade in Modules as a program would be A thing

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #82 of 1,659
Problems I see:

Little correction in 2 years daps will cost 4 grand and it be much cheaper to pay for an upgrade...

Why just keep the old modules and swap them for fun 🙂
Unfortunately yea old modules will be at a loss 😮

Jan 21, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #83 of 1,659

Yes indeed. That's why I got into this hobby - to buy a product that's soon obsolete, support a niche Chinese manufacturer and feed their families!!

All these overly expensive new audio products are not reinventing the wheel you know. They just reproduce music - a very simple thing to do. It ain't rocket science and it most definitely shouldn't cost what is does these days.

Jan 21, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #84 of 1,659
Yes indeed. That's why I got into this hobby - to buy a product that's soon obsolete, support a niche Chinese manufacturer and feed their families!!

All these overly expensive new audio products are not reinventing the wheel you know. They just reproduce music - a very simple thing to do. It ain't rocket science and it most definitely shouldn't cost what is does these days.
Haha! You cracked me up!!

Jan 21, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #86 of 1,659
Having said that I am keeping an eye on the DX300. Gotta decide between it and the Kann Alpha.:darthsmile:
you know when you are an addict when your hobby overcome your control in every day activities.....you would always longed for it.

An addict is when your hobby is slowly and negatively impacting your life without your ability to take controls

That is when you need a Rehab, and I think I do too LOL

Jan 21, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #87 of 1,659

Yes, it's like spending $2000 on top of the line headphones just to get about 10-15% better sound than $500 headphones. Then after a couple of weeks, once you get used to the sound, spending another $200-$300 on cables to try and get more out of it. Then you have to get a better amp, then dap. A couple of months later, after $4500, you realize you're listening to the same songs you were before. Music didn't get any better. You wonder why you spent so much money. There comes a time where you just need to stop and listen to the music instead of the gear. I have $600 headphones that when I put on, I just smile and rock out to the music without worrying about the phone, and I have $1700 headphones that when I put them on, I listen to the headphones waiting to be impressed by technicalities instead of just listening to the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back